PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Brainstorming ideas for my new sci fi setting

S@tanicoaldo
2017-12-14, 04:20 PM
What would ther world look like if it was controlled by an all powerful AI conceived from the mind of a nerdy, horny, socially awkward and misanthropic programer?

So I got this new setting almost all figured out but I tougth it would be fun to hear other people's ideas and views on the premise.

So what you guys think?

exelsisxax
2017-12-14, 05:05 PM
What would ther world look like if it was controlled by an all powerful AI conceived from the mind of a nerdy, horny, socially awkward and misanthropic programer?

So I got this new setting almost all figured out but I tougth it would be fun to hear other people's ideas and views on the premise.

So what you guys think?

http://megalawlz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/funny-chubby-dog-pictures-274x300.jpg

But seriously, it could be basically anything. None of those characteristics inform any setting content, and would justify opposite extremes in directly related fields. For example:

The world could be an unrelenting sufferfest, with millions dying in fear and pain while others just go about in apathy or nonconcern, the only break in this pattern being infinitesimal moments of personal triumph that, in the end, serve only as a pallete cleanser of hope for the masses before the next cold dish of misery. (i.e. real life)
OR
The world could be a place of continual change and progress, with whole societies working together to promote human welfare and self-realization, where seemingly nothing is out of reach or impossible to accomplish with planning and effort, and the world of tomorrow promises wonders beyond the imaginations of their grandparents. (i.e. real life)

Both of these can be explicit results of that misanthropy. Perspective is a powerful thing.

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-15, 09:08 AM
Something something TITANs.

In all seriousness, it really depends on what the AI was created to do. This might end up being a Culture situation, where AIs exist and are the real power players, but don't actually care about humans. Maybe it's an Eclipse Phase situation, where the AI turned against reality and then disappeared. It might be a neuromancer situation, where the AI is theoretically all powerful but kept behind safeguards. It might be a Reign of Steel setting, where the AIs control the world and try to extermine humans (although not all might be concerned by them). It might be an Asimovian setting, where the AIs control the world subtly enough that only the really intelligent notice, and can't be brought down because everything's going well.

Mutazoia
2017-12-18, 12:57 AM
Am I the only one getting PARANOIA flashbacks?