PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Frost mage or frost knight build?

Harrysonford
2017-12-14, 05:03 PM
So, does anyone know any class/subclass that has a good frost them or room to go for a frost theme?

Specifically for me: any charisma based classes that have those qualities? Frosty Paladin? Ice bard? Winter warlock? Snow sorcerer?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-14, 05:06 PM
The only official subclass that would work for a Charisma-based ice mage would be a silver/white dragon Sorc, but I really don’t know if they’d get enough cold spells for your liking.

Other than that, Arctic Land Druid would work, or a Tundra Herald Barbarian, but Storm Herald Barbarians are on the weaker side of that class.

Mjolnirbear
2017-12-14, 05:09 PM
A silver or white dragonborn can also work.

Warlock has access to tons of frost spells or abilities. Armor of Agathys for instance. Many invocations can be refluffed.

Your patron could be a frost fey, an ice demon, or something from the Shadowfell with minimal effort

Oramac
2017-12-15, 08:56 AM
Sounds a little like you're coming at this from a Warcraft perspective?

By RAW, I think the above are correct. White Dragonborn spellcasters are probably your best bet.

If you're DM is ok with homebrew, check out the Death Knight (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/180626/Death-Knight--5th-Edition?filters=0_0_0_0_0_45462_0_0) I made. It's very loosely based on warcraft and has actually been playtested pretty well too. The Oath of the North would fit for you.

Throne12
2017-12-15, 09:32 AM
So, does anyone know any class/subclass that has a good frost them or room to go for a frost theme?

Specifically for me: any charisma based classes that have those qualities? Frosty Paladin? Ice bard? Winter warlock? Snow sorcerer?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

It all about your fluff Description. You cast grease instead of it a oily. You just covered the ground in ice.
Cantrips there ray of frost, frostbite.
1st level armor of agathy, ice knife, mage armor (ice armor)
2nd level cloud of daggers (cloud of ice shards), dragons breath (cold damage), hold person (Frezzing them),
3rd level Snilloc's snowball swarm, hunger of Hadar, sleet storm,

jaappleton
2017-12-15, 12:04 PM
I've seen a TON of DMs willing to swap a bonus spell list with a more thematically appropriate one in order for a player to help realize a character concept.

For example: Ancients Paladin with the Tempest Cleric's Domain spells.

That may be a route to go with, if your DM is willing.

Specter
2017-12-15, 12:12 PM
Silver/White Draconic Sorcerer, with Elemental Adept. That's it.

Here are all Sorcerer spells that can fit into this, by level.

C: Frostbite, Ray of Frost, Shape Water
1: Ice Knife, Chromatic Orb, Fog Cloud
2: Dragon's Breath, Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm
3: Protection from Energy, Sleet Storm, Wall of Water
4: Ice Storm, Watery Sphere
5: Cone of Cold, Control Winds
6: Investiture of Ice