PDA

View Full Version : Fix the Storm Herald

Lockwolfe
2017-12-14, 05:22 PM
One of my players wants to make a viking barbarian, and we both think Path of the Storm Herald fits him very nicely. However, the archetype seems ridiculously underpowered. Any suggested fixes to make it more balanced?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-14, 05:23 PM
One of my players wants to make a viking barbarian, and we both think Path of the Storm Herald fits him very nicely. However, the archetype seems ridiculously underpowered. Any suggested fixes to make it more balanced?

test it out first. If you dont like it then, use the UA version which is i think slightly stronger.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-14, 05:29 PM
I'd probably just take the Zealot and the Radiant/Necrotic damage to your choice of Cold, Lightning, or Thunder. But I'm lazy and find that easier than trying to work with the Storm Herald.

The not dying/easily raised from the dead thing could be Valkyries pulling you back to life, or a blessing from Odin.

Lockwolfe
2017-12-14, 05:34 PM
I'd probably just take the Zealot and the Radiant/Necrotic damage to your choice of Cold, Lightning, or Thunder. But I'm lazy and that easier than trying to work with the Storm Herald.

The not dying/easily raised from the dead thing could be Valkyries pulling you back to life, or a blessing form Odin.

I've considered this. That would probably work pretty well. I should bring this up to my player and see what he thinks.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-14, 07:32 PM
An Ancients Barbarian might work, too.

Potato_Priest
2017-12-14, 07:57 PM
The UA version wasn't bad. (at least not nearly as bad as the Xanathar's version, I haven't a clue why they changed it) I'd suggest looking into that.

Lockwolfe
2017-12-14, 08:26 PM
I've looked at the UA version. Is free 2d6 lightning damage per round too much? How balanced is that version?

Potato_Priest
2017-12-14, 08:29 PM
I've looked at the UA version. Is free 2d6 lightning damage per round too much? How balanced is that version?

I DMed a campaign with 2 UA storm heralds (one sea, one arctic) and they seemed fine. Certainly not something a min-maxer is going to choose over bear totem every day.

Lombra
2017-12-14, 09:05 PM
Is it that bad? Cantrip (ok, half cantrip because of how it progresses) damage as a bonus action, a nice exploration feature, and a very powerful combat feature (that knocks prone regardless of the size). It doesn't look that lackluster.

Lockwolfe
2017-12-14, 09:41 PM
Is it that bad? Cantrip (ok, half cantrip because of how it progresses) damage as a bonus action, a nice exploration feature, and a very powerful combat feature (that knocks prone regardless of the size). It doesn't look that lackluster.

It's a d6 that requires a saving throw and uses up a bonus action. The underwater breathing is very situational, and one of my players is playing a water genasi anyway, so that's covered. The free prone is nice, but 14th level is a long ways away, and this campaign probably won't go for that long.

Foxhound438
2017-12-14, 10:10 PM

I don't think it's that bad myself, but I don't personally feel the need to play absolutely 110% optimized at all times. The issue that some people have is that it costs your bonus action, which is generally best used for polearm master with GWM for a huge amount of damage. It's kind of a shame that desert just flat out lost damage from UA on top of the action economy nerf, but it's still honestly fine.

Potato_Priest
2017-12-14, 10:28 PM

Compared to any other barbarian subclass, it's inferior. Compared to a fighter or melee ranger it's fine.

We'll just compare it to zealot for example.

Zealot grants:
A)More extra damage at level 3 with no action economy cost and a better damage type
B)Free resurrection (a nice "ribbon" that might really see play). Probably of superior to equal value when compared to the exploration utilities of the storm herald (desert in particular is lame, arctic in particular is good), but it will depend on the campaign.
C)Advantage on one save per rage. I'd say this is about on par with elemental resistance. It's more general but less powerful in specific fights.
D)Gains a feature that lets them fight until their rage ends no matter how much damage they take at the same time that the storm herald gets their knock things prone ability.