PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best Class to Complete Party?

paperskeleton
2017-12-14, 06:57 PM
I'm a relatively inexperienced player, and I'm about to start a new campaign with a group of friends, most of which have never really played. They all have already chosen classes, and I'm trying to figure out what class I should be to balance out the party so both my friends and I have fun.

They are a barbarian, rogue, paladin, and druid.

(I was thinking maybe a monk, warlock, or ranger, but honestly I'm alright with anything)

I was just curious with what people thought would synergize well with this party. I don't know enough to tell if a class I choose will be either useless or add something that the current party is lacking.

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

JoyfulJester
2017-12-14, 07:08 PM
Can't really go wrong with Bard. Seems like you've got damage covered and Bard can add a lot in the form of battlefield control and buffs, plus having utility outside of combat is important as well. Any Bard that can convince the group of thugs not to rob them and avoid a fight is worth their weight in gold.

Honestly though. Party comp should come secondary to what kind of backstory you want your character to have and what kind of character you want to RP as. The synergies will come naturally. Have fun with it!

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-14, 07:24 PM
I personally like warlock Or Bard here maybe wizard.

You mentioned monk ranger and warlock so I say warlock since it’s on your mind already.

What are some character ideas you’ve had when it comes to this campaign

Specter
2017-12-14, 07:27 PM
In combat, your party lacks abit in control/debuff; the Druid can do this, but he could also be doing a lot of other stuff. Also buffs are short. I'd recommend Bard, or a social Wizard, but Monk could be shoehorned there too.

Forget Warlock and Ranger: your group has skills and damage in spades.

(Or of course, just play what feels right.)

8wGremlin
2017-12-14, 07:41 PM
SICAD = Standard Issue Cleric Arcana Domain(tm)

VHuman: Cleric Arcana domain.
Take Chill touch for ranged attacks, and Booming Blade for Melee attacks (via Shillelagh)
Take Magic Initiate: Druid - for Goodberry, Thornwhip, Shillelagh
Wear medium armour, use a shield, and a Shillelagh (Dex = 14, Wis = 16, your Con will be 14) this gives you AC 18 with scale
You'll have 10 hp at 1st level
Take Perception as your Human skill.

When you get 3rd level make sure you have Spiritual weapon memorised
When you get to 4th take Warcaster, so you can Booming Blade, or Thornwhip
When you get to 5th level make sure you have Spirit Guardians memorised
When you get to 8th level add your Wis Mod to your cleric cantrips damage (including Chill touch and Booming blade)
Also you get another feat here.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-14, 07:41 PM
Ugh, I always hate seeing one of these threads and automatically thinking Bard, but here it actually works. The party could use a good skilled character at some things, and also a face.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-12-14, 09:58 PM
Bard or wizard.

The party seems short on high magic pc's

Wizard will do the most damage the easiest. The lesser experienced players may idolize you or be envious/jealous.

Bards can do damage as well but sometimes have to be creative about it.

Bards also get Healing Word. What a way to make friends as a Bonus Action if the Cleric is not experienced or is the one down.

Lore Bards get magical secrets. Need Revivify? Fly? Counterspell? They can have it.

Bards can earn coin performing and are naturals at guiding a party while roleplaying.

My $.02

Nidgit
2017-12-14, 10:16 PM
Wizard or Sorceror. Party's got a face, a skill monkey, a tank, and decent healing and buffs. Needs more primary casters and those two have the least overlap with what's already there.

E’Tallitnics
2017-12-14, 10:38 PM
Play an Evoker Wizard!

Your party needs some high level magic and an Evoker is a blast to play. (Pun intended)

Make sure to choose Rope Trick and Leomund's Tiny Hut when you level up. That'll give you a safe short and long rest respectively.

Suggest playing a High Elf for maximum synergy with Wizard.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-14, 11:58 PM
Play an Evoker Wizard!

Your party needs some high level magic and an Evoker is a blast to play. (Pun intended)

Make sure to choose Rope Trick and Leomund's Tiny Hut when you level up. That'll give you a safe short and long rest respectively.

Suggest playing a High Elf for maximum synergy with Wizard.

I agree, you seem light on Blastyness (with the Evoker part). Light Cleric can work too, also Sorcerers.

Play what you want though.

jojo
2017-12-15, 01:29 AM
I agree, you seem light on Blastyness (with the Evoker part). Light Cleric can work too, also Sorcerers.

Play what you want though.

Evokers are basically the worst, historically.

If you want a walking nuke, you're better off with a Sorcerer, particularly in 5e since they get a higher number of spells/day and Sorcery Points and meta-magic. The Favored Soul, or whatever it's renamed to in XGtE is a solid option that gives slightly more flexibility.

If you wanna live forever then roll an Abjurer, if you want to make enemies trip over themselves to kill each other for your approval go with an Enchanter.

I'm a relatively inexperienced player, and I'm about to start a new campaign with a group of friends, most of which have never really played. They all have already chosen classes, and I'm trying to figure out what class I should be to balance out the party so both my friends and I have fun.

(I was thinking maybe a monk, warlock, or ranger, but honestly I'm alright with anything)

I was just curious with what people thought would synergize well with this party. I don't know enough to tell if a class I choose will be either useless or add something that the current party is lacking.

There's no rule that makes full-casters mandatory. I'd probably stay away from a Warlock with your current party composition for a variety of reasons.

If you really want to play a flexible support character then those people suggesting Lore Bard are right on the money. Bards work great for:

Anti-Caster (Counter-Spell + Counter Charm), Healing (Aura of Life + Healing Word and 1 Level Life Cleric Dip), Battlefield Control (Domination/Hold), Battlefield Control (Summoned Creatures.) A Lore Bard can be as good as, if not better than, any other full-caster at these provided they pick two and focus on them.

A Lore, or any other Bard, can take Ritual Spell-Casting (Wizard) in campaigns where magic is available for purchase or will be frequently encountered to be able to handle:

All the security duties such as Alarm, Etc.
Other Weird/Specific Stuff such as Lifeguard Duty (Water-Walk/Breathing) that rarely comes up but has a high mortality rate when it does.
Investigatory Duties (Identify, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, etc.)

That build finds a niche in any party which is why people frequently bring it up.

If you're going to be involved in a fairly linear campaign that's relatively combat heavy, or a dungeon crawl then any of the options you mentioned are going to work. If you're going to be in a campaign that requires any kind of investigation over periods of time then your party absolutely needs a Brain, which Lore Bard works great for as do Wizards.

Specific to your situation a DEX Based Fighter, possibly an Arcane Archer or an Eldritch Knight might fill up a niche in the party by providing reliable ranged damage and blocking enemy casters in combat but your best bet for "Ultimate Synergy" is always going to be the Lore Bard.

Malifice
2017-12-15, 02:49 AM
Bard.

Buff the party. Controlling effects.

Take inspiring leader as a feat for even better buffing.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-15, 03:18 AM
Wizard for the inteligence skills.

Malifice
2017-12-15, 03:23 AM
Wizard for the inteligence skills.

Bards are better at skills.

Mjolnirbear
2017-12-15, 03:42 AM
Tomelock would get tons of cantrips, all the rituals covered, and has access to tons of control, such as Repelling Blast. Eldritch Sight makes you a walking magic detector. Find familiar gives you mobile scouting. Celestial lock can even heal a bit. I think. If I recall correctly.

You have a strong party with strong classes. You don't need to be a healbot or a buff vending machine. Bard would do well at either, it's true. But at this point, making a strong party stronger is a bit overkill. They don't need it. A ritual caster, with possible access to all rituals, will help out with tons of utility, and leave you room to do your own thing.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-15, 04:35 AM
Bards are better at skills.

Which is why i specified it to the inteligence skills. I'm guessing that they start at level 1 and wizard will probably be better at the inteligence skills at level 1-2 since inteligence is the most important attribute for wizards and at level 3 the bard might surpass the wizard in ONE inteligence skill but will more likely be equal in that skill and behind in the rest since i dubt that the bard will have more than a +1 modifier in inteligence. At level 4 the wizard gains more inteligence and makes gap wider. At level 5 the bard bacomes equal in one inteligence skill again. At 8 the wizard gains more inteligence again making him better at the inteligence skills. You have to wait until level 13 before the bard gets ahead of the wizard in up to two of the inteligence skills. So yes i think Wizard is the best class for inteligence skills especially if you want one level of cleric later.

Aaron Underhand
2017-12-15, 06:08 AM
Which is why i specified it to the inteligence skills. I'm guessing that they start at level 1 and wizard will probably be better at the inteligence skills at level 1-2 since inteligence is the most important attribute for wizards and at level 3 the bard might surpass the wizard in ONE inteligence skill but will more likely be equal in that skill and behind in the rest since i dubt that the bard will have more than a +1 modifier in inteligence. At level 4 the wizard gains more inteligence and makes gap wider. At level 5 the bard bacomes equal in one inteligence skill again. At 8 the wizard gains more inteligence again making him better at the inteligence skills. You have to wait until level 13 before the bard gets ahead of the wizard in up to two of the inteligence skills. So yes i think Wizard is the best class for inteligence skills especially if you want one level of cleric later.

In a similar party I'm playing a vHumand Lore bard with a one level dip into Wizard, and the Healer feat....

INT 14, jack of all trades and expertise arcarna and investigation... I seriously doubt a wizard would have better Int skills on balance..

FabulousFizban
2017-12-15, 06:48 AM
There are three major elements to any well balanced party: damage dealing, damage taking, and buff/debuff or battlefield control. Your party has each: rogue = damage dealing, barbarian = damage taking, and druid = buff/debuff (depending on how it is played). You even have a paladin who can fill any of these roles in a secondary capacity. This means you are free to choose really anything you want, the party''s basic requirements are already met.

Decide what role you want to fill in combat (any class can fill OoC needs, OoC is all roleplay and on you), and pick a class that suites that role. Bards are a personal favorite. They are probably best at debuffing, but can fill anyrole if you do it right: bane+cutting words for tanking, conjure animals for DPR, etc.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-15, 08:49 AM
In a similar party I'm playing a vHumand Lore bard with a one level dip into Wizard, and the Healer feat....

INT 14, jack of all trades and expertise arcarna and investigation... I seriously doubt a wizard would have better Int skills on balance..

Yeah you have 10 instead of 9 in arcana and investigation at level 10. Which is consistent with what i wrote about 12 int getting past the wizard at level 13 since you got one modifier higher you got past the wizards skill check on one proficency increase earlier. And jack of all trade is a non factor if you just take proficency in all of the inteligence skills. vhuman 1 skill wizard 2 skills background 2 skills which makes 5 skills enough to be proficent in all of the inteligence skills. My point is that you get those proficencies without putting a 14 or higher in an attribute that doesn't really help your combat efficency. A 14 in int for a Bard means that you either rolled really good stats or that you are sacrificing combat efficency. Which is why i think that wizards are better than bards for inteligence skills there is a lower oportunity cost for them.

Zanthy1
2017-12-15, 08:53 AM
Follow your heart man. But for realizies, anything you want to do should work, though maybe avoid some form of front line melee fighter, as the paladin and barbarian have the covered easily (possibly the rogue and druid too). I notice a lack of arcane casters, so maybe thats a solid option. Bard, Sorc, or Wiz

PopeLinus1
2017-12-15, 09:18 AM
In these threads, it seems the answer usually ends up at Bards, which I agree with, however you should make sure that their isint a class that would be hard to insert into the adventure, or if the PCs have any recommendations for you.

These threads always answer at bard. I don’t know what to tell you.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-15, 09:22 AM
In these threads, it seems the answer usually ends up at Bards, which I agree with, however you should make sure that their isint a class that would be hard to insert into the adventure, or if the PCs have any recommendations for you.

These threads always answer at bard. I don’t know what to tell you.

Well, I think that's because that when someone doesn't know what to play, it's partly due to the party makeup having all of the 'basics' covered. I mean, you rarely see a thread start with something like:

"I need to figure out what to play, the current party is three casters and a rogue." Or "I need to figure out what to play, currently we have a melee cleric, two fighters, and a barbarian."

So usually these players are looking for a fifth-man role, and that's where the Bard shines.

nickl_2000
2017-12-15, 09:25 AM
Well, I think that's because that when someone doesn't know what to play, it's partly due to the party makeup having all of the 'basics' covered. I mean, you rarely see a thread start with something like:

"I need to figure out what to play, the current party is three casters and a rogue." Or "I need to figure out what to play, currently we have a melee cleric, two fighters, and a barbarian."

So usually these players are looking for a fifth-man role, and that's where the Bard shines.

It goes beyond the fifth man role, the answer is almost always Bard, Moon Druid, or Wizard. Why, because a Bard can do pretty much anything any time. A Moon Druid has melee in wildshape, and healing and battlefield control in caster shape, and Wizard have spells to do pretty much everything.

They are the most versatility classes and therefore fit into pretty much any needed role in a party.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-15, 09:51 AM
Evokers are basically the worst, historically.

Yeah historically, wait not even, just according to a bunch of 3.X internet guides. Any Wizard can be a God Wizard, Evokers can't/don't Friendly Fire. It's really useful, I like them better than Sorcerers for blowing mooks up.

Citan
2017-12-15, 01:54 PM

Hi!
Hmm. From your group composition, I would have said definitely Wizard: tank is pretty much covered, as well as sustained damage, and you get 1.5 healer in group.
Wizard would be a perfect missing link: INT skills, rituals to help adventure (complementing those from Druid), and ability to choose some exclusive spells to alleviate Druid's plate in some place where he does not necessarily has the best spells (like AOE, illusions).
I'd pick Bladesinger or Abjurer for single-class: first will help you much with concentration and overall keeping safe at low levels, second becomes an extremely resilient caster in second half of his life.
EDIT: reading thread after the fact, I saw some people making a pretty good case for Evoker: indeed blasting is one of the weak partitions of a Druid, and with at least 2 of your friends being built for melee, having a way to launch a big blast with guaranteed friendly safety is a big boon. They are right, it's probably the best School if you go Wizard. ;)

In case you don't like the idea of managing spells and slots, I'd suggest either a DEX-based Eldricht Knight or a Hunter Ranger: both get pretty decent and ultimately good in both melee and ranged attacks, as well as the right amount of magic to have fun with without getting smoke pouring out of head because micro-management.

Good choice have fun! :)

CircleOfTheRock
2017-12-15, 10:14 PM
Can't really go wrong with Bard. Seems like you've got damage covered and Bard can add a lot in the form of battlefield control and buffs, plus having utility outside of combat is important as well. Any Bard that can convince the group of thugs not to rob them and avoid a fight is worth their weight in gold.

Honestly though. Party comp should come secondary to what kind of backstory you want your character to have and what kind of character you want to RP as. The synergies will come naturally. Have fun with it!
Although, while bard sounds good for party composition, you do sound like you have party face covered with the paladin (and potentially the rogue); you might want to play something like a Battlemaster fighter to add to the melee combatants' effectiveness, or a monk for Stunning Strike for the same reason.

Nifft
2017-12-15, 10:33 PM

Monks can be very good (Open Hand or Shadow).

Warlocks are decent (Tome or Chain).

Rangers are sub-standard, which is sad because I liked them a lot in 1e and 4e. I would not recommend playing a Ranger in 5e until they get re-written.

Other good classes not yet in play:
- Bard (Lore is the best Bard, this is not an opinion but rather a fact of the universe)
- Cleric (Life, Tempest, and Nature are my top 3, but Knowledge is fantastic if you're good at finding spontaneous uses for skills)
- Wizard (Diviner or Abjurer are both great; none are bad)
- Fighter (Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight are great; Champion is a bit below the curve but still solid)