PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A couple questions related to the Vizier in Akashic Mysteries

theonesin
2017-12-14, 07:53 PM
Just a couple of things I'm trying to get cleared up about a character I'm making(Vizier/Wizard/Amplifier magic item crafter):

1. Path of the Crafter for the Vizier class has an ability called "Transfer the Essence", which talks about swapping magic item effects between two similar items(like weapon to weapon or armor to armor). The listed example only refers to swapping enchants of two already magical items. My question is this: If an enchant is compatible, can you use the ability to swap between a magical and a non-magical item, or does it ONLY work between two already-magical items?

2. The Amplifier prestige class advances by veilweaving and spellcasting classes, and says the following about veilweaving advancement: "Veilweaving: At 1st level and every level thereafter, the amplifier gains new veils shaped, binds, and essence as though he had gained a level in any one veilweaving class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained." My question is again in regards to the Vizier: at level 9, they get an ability called "Ring Binding", which lets them bind veils to their ring slot. Because it's formatting is slightly different(other binds say "Chakra bind (feet)" for example), I wanted to make sure if the Ring Binding feature counts as a bind or not, for the purpose of gaining it through advancing Amplifier.

thecrimsondawn
2017-12-15, 12:29 AM
Gonna be honest, both of these are very good questions, ones that even taken out of context, I cant even provide an answer for. Im sure Ssalarn will be able to explain their intent when he sees this post. He has helped me many times with my countless Akashic questions :3

ghanjrho
2017-12-15, 08:04 AM
Disclaimer: not Ssalarn

1. I would rule yes, provided that the non-magical item is masterwork (if applicable). That is, taking a +3 Holy longsword and a masterwork greataxe, and getting a masterwork longsword and +3 holy greataxe out of it.

2. I would rule no. In the text description of the Chakra Binds ability, it says
"At 2nd level and every
2 levels thereafter, the vizier unlocks
chakra binds in the following order:
Hands, Feet, Head, Wrist, Shoulders,
Headband, Neck, Belt, Chest, and Body.
Once a vizier has unlocked a chakra bind,
he may choose to bind a veil to that slot
when shaping it to unlock its corresponding
bind abilities." Ring is not listed. Therefore, I would rule that binding veils in the Ring slot is a special ability granted at the Vizier 9th level, and not part of the Vizier's normal veilweaving progression.

Ssalarn
2017-12-15, 05:20 PM
Just a couple of things I'm trying to get cleared up about a character I'm making(Vizier/Wizard/Amplifier magic item crafter):

1. Path of the Crafter for the Vizier class has an ability called "Transfer the Essence", which talks about swapping magic item effects between two similar items(like weapon to weapon or armor to armor). The listed example only refers to swapping enchants of two already magical items. My question is this: If an enchant is compatible, can you use the ability to swap between a magical and a non-magical item, or does it ONLY work between two already-magical items?

You could use it to transfer the enhancement from a magical weapon to a non-magical one, as long as the non-magical weapon is a valid target. The restrictions are only supposed to keep your wealth the same; so if you started with a masterwork dagger and a +3 shortsword, you'd end with a masterwork shortsword and a +3 dagger.

2. The Amplifier prestige class advances by veilweaving and spellcasting classes, and says the following about veilweaving advancement: "Veilweaving: At 1st level and every level thereafter, the amplifier gains new veils shaped, binds, and essence as though he had gained a level in any one veilweaving class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained." My question is again in regards to the Vizier: at level 9, they get an ability called "Ring Binding", which lets them bind veils to their ring slot. Because it's formatting is slightly different(other binds say "Chakra bind (feet)" for example), I wanted to make sure if the Ring Binding feature counts as a bind or not, for the purpose of gaining it through advancing Amplifier.

The strict answer is no. Ring Binding is a little different than other binds due to Rings being a unique slot not available to non-viziers, essentially a class feature that adds to their veilweaving. When I'm running a game, I count it as a "normal" bind and allow amplifier to make it available to vizier/amplifiers, as long as you're advancing vizier with your amplifier levels. I allow my players to bind their Ring veils once they hit the equivalent of vizier (veilweaver) level 9, but they don't get later class features in the chain like Twinveil Rings.

theonesin
2017-12-15, 07:26 PM
Ssalarn, thank you for answering. It helped a lot.

Though, I find it interesting that even though you designed/helped design the Amplifier/Ring Binding interaction(or lack thereof), you are willing to houserule that away. Do you consider allowing Amplifier to get Ring Binding to not be unbalanced? I'd love to run the houserule by my own DM, and it would help to have a solid reasoning for allowing it.

Ssalarn
2017-12-15, 08:42 PM
Ssalarn, thank you for answering. It helped a lot.

Though, I find it interesting that even though you designed/helped design the Amplifier/Ring Binding interaction(or lack thereof), you are willing to houserule that away. Do you consider allowing Amplifier to get Ring Binding to not be unbalanced? I'd love to run the houserule by my own DM, and it would help to have a solid reasoning for allowing it.

I tend to run pretty intense home games with higher than normal challenges, so while it is a boost, it's one that I don't consider to be too much for the game we play, though more than the core game expects. For me, it's a pretty similar power boost to what I expect when a player is leveraging multiple player companion books in their character build (player companions in general aren't held to the same balance standards as hardcovers, so the options have a tendency to skew high in power).
So if your group tends to be very open on what materials you can use and how many books a character can pull options from, then it's a house rule that I think would make sense. If you tend to have a more conservative game that skews closer to the core expectations of the game though, than it is going to be a relatively strong boost and might not be the best move. It would be akin to allowing amplifier to progress guru disruptions, or mystic theurge progressing arcane schools.

theonesin
2017-12-15, 09:39 PM
Ah, I see. Given our group and DM's experience with Pathfinder, I suppose I'll refrain from requesting the Ring Binding thing(even though it'd be a fun addition). We're not core-only, but we don't do 3rd party stuff much. At least, except for Dreamscarred Press stuff(pretty much only got that approved because I really wanted to play with Akashic Mysteries, haha).

The Shadowmind
2017-12-16, 12:39 AM
I tend to run pretty intense home games with higher than normal challenges, so while it is a boost, it's one that I don't consider to be too much for the game we play, though more than the core game expects. For me, it's a pretty similar power boost to what I expect when a player is leveraging multiple player companion books in their character build (player companions in general aren't held to the same balance standards as hardcovers, so the options have a tendency to skew high in power).
So if your group tends to be very open on what materials you can use and how many books a character can pull options from, then it's a house rule that I think would make sense. If you tend to have a more conservative game that skews closer to the core expectations of the game though, than it is going to be a relatively strong boost and might not be the best move. It would be akin to allowing amplifier to progress guru disruptions, or mystic theurge progressing arcane schools.

On amplifier/veils. Is there a veil with the Healing descriptor? I couldn't find much ways to get a vitalist/veilshaper to benefit from the amplifier ability.

NomGarret
2017-12-17, 12:14 PM
Not that I can find, aside from the ones previewed for Co7S, of which there are at least 3.

Ssalarn
2017-12-20, 08:52 PM
Not that I can find, aside from the ones previewed for Co7S, of which there are at least 3.

The Immaculate Touch veil is also supposed to have the healing descriptor, though like a lot of the later errata I don't know that that update made it into the book.