PDA

View Full Version : Question about manipulating movie files

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-21, 09:39 AM
Ok, I taped some stuff with my digital camera. Maybe a total of 2 minutes tops, yet the thing is 217 mb. Far too big to download unto most sites for viewing.

Does anyone know how its possible to shrink it without cutting out bits of it?

Samiam303
2007-08-21, 09:53 AM
Ok, I taped some stuff with my digital camera. Maybe a total of 2 minutes tops, yet the thing is 217 mb. Far too big to download unto most sites for viewing.

Does anyone know how its possible to shrink it without cutting out bits of it?

Just import the video into Windows Movie Maker, and you can export it at a lower file size. It's been forever since I did anything with WMM, so I can't remember details, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-21, 12:03 PM
I tend towards the free software myself.

http://directory.fsf.org/search/fsd-search.py?q=Video+Compression
Not sure if any of these will be useful or not though. Good chance at least one of them will.

adanedhel9
2007-08-21, 12:43 PM
Virtual Dub Mod is my go-to application for video compression. (I can't look it up at the moment, so no link.) It'll probably be more than you need, though.

FdL
2007-08-21, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I'd say Virtual Dub Mod or a similar app, don't settle for Windows Movie Maker because it doesn't give you much control of what you're doing. I use one called AviDemux, but maybe it's not for the same thing. Now, if you just want to take a home video or something and compress it for uploading it to YouTube or similar, yeah, go for the least fuss.