PDA

View Full Version : Recreating the sharingan and/or byakugan?

Raishoiken
2017-12-15, 12:54 AM
so I've been thinking on how to go about doing this for a little while and haven't come to any solid conclusions. obviously both would give some sorta bonus to spot and search, in addition to reflex probably as well.
also, do you think they should be treated as inherited templates? bloodlines? feats? as buff spells even? I'm interested to see your guys' thoughts on this

Pleh
2017-12-15, 06:29 AM
Maybe have a look at the D&Dwiki homebrew class (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Naruto_Shinobi_(3.5e_Class)). It's pretty badly balanced, like most of their homebrew, but it at least gives you a starting point that you can work backwards to resolve into some balance.

Sharingan and Byakugan are approximated as Bloodline traits incorporated as class features (they're kinda weird that way). All these abilities cost Chakra Points, so for reference, the Shinobi is supposed to have a number of Chakra Points equal to their Constitution Modifier plus their Wisdom Modifier for each level of Shinobi they possess (at first level, probably less than 10, at 10th level, probably around 100). I assume they regain expended Chakra points after 8 hours of uninterrupted rest.

Sharingan Sight costs 1 Chakra point per round while active and grants Trueseeing and See Invisibility out to 10ft/5 levels of Shinobi plus Dodge bonuses to all saves that increase with level as well. At 10th level, it allows you to copy any "technique with a somatic component" by making a concentration check at a DC of 10+Spell Level+Caster Level (I suppose this is intended to have Shinobi/Caster transparency).

At 5th level, you can dump 10 Chakra Points use Sharingan as a Full Round Gaze Attack which allows you to use Suggestion (as the spell) as a Sorcerer of the same level as your level in Shinobi.

It isn't written very clearly, but Sharingan-Triple Windmill says a 10th level Shinobi can make three ranged attacks at their highest attack bonus and a single Dragonfire Jutsu (all attacks targeting a single opponent). Costs Chakra Points equal to 10+the Dragonfire Jutsu (which is 3+1/level, so DFJ @ level 10 is 13). I can't imagine this is anything less than a Full Round Action. In my own very modified use of this class at a real world table, the three ranged attacks work roughly as in the show, so the three ranged attacks use the attack and damage modifiers of my melee weapon at a range increment of 30ft and are dealt as Fire Damage.

... I'd recommend staying away from the rules on Mangyekou Sharingan. If what I've posted so far hasn't already gotten your hackles rising, then certainly down that path lies utter madness.

Byakugan seems more powerful (except the silly Mangyekou stuff), but is "more difficult to acquire" (whatever that means). I guess you can't just plug a Byakugan eye into your head like you can with Sharingan?

For absolutely no chakra cost at all, having the Byakugan bloodline means your unarmed strikes are considered Aligned as your own alignment for overcoming DR (and if you're True Neutral, you overcome ALL DR while only dealing half damage). At 2nd level, your attacks have a 25% chance to deal 1 temporary point of Constitution and Wisdom damage (I would skip this one, personally).

1 Chakra per round gives you Trueseeing and See Invisibility out to 10+10ft/level (same as Sharingan, but 10ft further). Bonus! You can't be caught Flat-Footed while using Byakugan.

Divination Field: 64/128/256 Strikes unlock at levels 10, 15, and 20 respectively and cost Chakra points equal to the level they're acquired. I'm again assuming this must be a Full Round Action. They each grant bonus attacks at the second to lowest bonus, or the lowest, if only two attacks are normally allowed. 64 Strikes gives 5 extra attacks, 128 gives 10, and 256 gives 15 extra attacks.

At 10th level, you can use Heavenely Spin. Heavenly Spin is a defensive counter, so you have to hold your action to attack when you are targeted by an enemy attack (due to the nature of the effect, it seems to assume a melee attack). If you get attacked while holding this action, you spend Chakra equal to 10+1/level to deal 1d6/level (max 15d6) damage and apply 15ft knockback (if you are sane, give the creature a Fort Save or at least an opposed Bullrush to resist the knockback).

End of the day, this class is not usable as printed on their website, but some abilities are close enough that you could salvage them to incorporate into a session. Especially the stuff that just imitates already common spell abilities (like sharingan's trueseeing and suggestion), though you'll have to figure out if the Chakra Point system works for your table, or if you need some other way to balance how frequently the Shinobi can use those abilities.

Gruftzwerg
2017-12-15, 08:39 AM
Well first we need to talk about the Sharingan itself and its abilities..

- Genjutsu = Illusions
- improved sight/perception
- helps to copy enemy (non-bloodline) jutsus
- Amaterasu ("Black Flames" nonresistable, you just have to bear the pain/dmg)

Imho (epic) warlocks can emulate most of the abilities tied to it. To have all abilities I guess you need to go gestalt to get the rest:

1.) Improved Sight/Perception
- "All Seeing Eyes" +6 on search & spot, 24h duration
- "See the Unseen" see invisible stuff
- "Voidsense " blindsense 30ft.
- "Dark Foresight" further enhances your perception: +2 to AC, Initiative and you can't be surprised anymore
- "Paragon Visionary (Epic)" see through all illusions. Further enhances "All Seeing Eyes" bonuses and changes Voidsense into Blindsight.

2.) Genjutsu
- Darkness and its followup invocations can be fluffed as Genjutsu
- "Nightmares Made Real" emulates best the horror scenarios created with the Sharingan
- "Painful Slumber of Ages" target sleeps permanently, can also be fluffed into Genjutsu.

3.) Amaterasu
- "Eldritch Blast" (combined with Shapes & Essences) is the most obvious ability to emulate the dark flames. Untyped damage covers the "non-resistible" requirement.
- "Shatter" is a nice Amaterasu replacement for objects
- "Wall Of Perilous Flame" is another option.

4.) Copy Enemy Spells
Well, the warlock has a hard time in this category. The sole ability that somewhat would fit would be Shadowmaster (Epic) which lets you cast shadow spells (conjuration & evocation), but it's not real copying..
Maybe go gestalt and add Spellthief on the other side.

As a last note, while normal spellcasters have more spells to emulate the stuff, their rescources are very limited. Unless you are creating Kakashi (with very limited chakra = limited resources would fit here), imho a warlock with his at-will abilities is the best choice for this.

Bronk
2017-12-15, 10:16 AM
Well first we need to talk about the Sharingan itself and its abilities..

- Genjutsu = Illusions
- improved sight/perception
- helps to copy enemy (non-bloodline) jutsus
- Amaterasu ("Black Flames" nonresistable, you just have to bear the pain/dmg)

Sharingans are a real kitchen sink ability. There's also:

Izanagi: giving yourself a do-over - a contingency wish spell
Izanami: basically 'sanctify the wicked'

Then there's more with the Mangekyo Sharingan. For example, everyone can summon parts of or all of the Susanoo, basically summoning some kind of kaiju energy construct. On top of that, it seems that everyone gets their own specific ability from this power up, including etherealness, teleportation, extradimensional spaces... Some of these work with only one eye, some work with one but work better or faster with two, and some work only with both original eyes. These powers can also be transferred to another, either through eye swapping or by turning your eyes into crows that are absorbed into the recipient.

Finally, the whole thing can power up to the Rinnegan (pushing, pulling, gravity), and then the Rinnegan can also power up.

For the Byakugan, maybe some epic spell versions of antimagic field and clairvoyance. There are also at least two types of Byakugan, and by swapping you can upgrade the Byakugan to the Tenseigan, which has some kind of energy beam power as well as gravity powers.

For both the Sharingan and the Byakugan, you should come up with some rules for:

-How long a Mangekyo Sharingan can be used until it goes blind.

-Deciding how 'cure blindness' interacts with blindness caused by Izanagi or prolonged Mangekyo Sharingan use.

-What constitutes 'loss' for a Sharingan user to upgrade to Mangekyo Sharingan: In the anime, we see 'killing your best friend' (later retconned to 'watching your best friend commit suicide), 'defeating your best friend and stomping on your only friendship', 'having your brother killed by someone else', 'having your prospective girlfriend killed by someone else', and 'having a friend suicide themselves on your attack'.

-How much power does it take to upgrade Mangekyo Sharingan to Rinnegan? Also, since no-one ever thought of using tailed-beasts to up their power for this, why wouldn't being a jinchuriki work for this, or using sage mode, or both?

-Eye swapping between users of the same eye type. Sharingan users can just pop their eyes out, no problem, but it seems more complicated for Byakugan users.

-Eye transplantation to non native users: It took a low level healer to place Obito's eye in Kakashi's socket, but what about Danzo's arm full of eyes?

-Eye usage by non native users: Do they work as well? Do they require more chakra or whatever to work than for a native user?

-How long does an eye last when popped out? Rinnegan eyes appear to still work when removed from a reasonably long dead body. Obito keeps Sharingan eyes around for years in tanks, while Byakugan eyes were kept loose for centuries just floating in the air.

I think if I was going to do this in a game, I'd say that the Sharingan and Byakugan users are humanoid monsters, or a special race of advanced humans, with their special eyes, and with monster stat blocks that include ninja themed abilities. The abilities would get better based on how advanced the eyes were, and would have stat blocks similar to phaerimm in that they have stats for different age groups.

For Sharingans, I'd do something like:
1: unawakened, 4HD
2: one pip per eye, 8HD
3: two pips per eye, 12HD
4: three pips per eye, 16HD
5: Mangekyo, 20HD
6: Mangekyo with full Susanoo, 24HD
7: Rinnegan, 28HD

For Byakugans, I do something similar, but walking up the eye skills with much fewer HD

Then, I'd make it so that the trick to each race was that each of their eyes was actually a naturally occurring eyeball graft, like the Dragon Magazine pirate and demon eyes. They would be able to be swapped with zero effort between native users of the same eyes, but would otherwise require the 'graft construct' feat to implant, plus a power source.

I'd also rule that 'cure blindness' doesn't work to fix used up eyeballs, instead needing at least a limited wish or a wish.

Prime32
2017-12-15, 11:23 AM
Since both can be grafted, maybe it would be easiest to treat them as grafts, with a feat for being an Uchiha which lets you use them more efficiently?

The main stuff it can do is:

Ability to see energies, allowing them to detect people and tell whether they're under enchantments. Basically just detect magic. You can get this through Shape Soulmeld (disenchanter mask), or the Vatic Gaze feat from PHB2. You might want to get deathwatch as well, but that seems optional.
Improving the strength of your illusions and hypnotic abilities. Another soulmeld can do this - Illusion Veil - and binding it to your brow gives you a bonus on Spot checks and on saves against illusions.
Enhanced ability to track movement and learn new skills. This would be a bonus to Spot and Spellcraft checks. The former is covered above, and the latter can be handled with Mage's Spectacles - which can also be bound to your brow for a continuous read magic effect.

Most of the higher-level techniques aren't directly granted by the Sharingan, just have a Sharingan as a prerequisite for learning them.

Your best option might be to play an Azurin (a clan of incarnum-using humans with weird-looking eyes and a tendency towards extreme emotions), and take a level or two of incarnate.

As for the Byakugan, it gives:

Seeing energies in greater detail than the Sharingan, allowing them to see their opponents' pressure points (though they need training to actually hit them). On top of the advice from above, there are some spells on the assassin list which seem like they fit the bill for this, like healer's vision and deathsight.
359-degree vision. There are a bunch of sources of all-around vision out there.
Seeing through walls. Likely the hardest to pull off, though there are some dwarf abilities which let them see through stone.
Short-range scrying. The clairvoyance spell covers this.

Bronk
2017-12-15, 11:26 AM
Short-range scrying. The clairvoyance spell covers this.
[/LIST]

At the start of the anime, Hinata's range is 50 feet, but by the end of the anime, her range is a whopping 20km...