PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Barb decisions

Azazel_Unbound
2017-12-15, 09:55 AM
So, I'm a player in a friend's campaign. We are all going to be starting at level 5. There will be two (three if one actually makes up his mind) other members in my party. I'm currently faced with the dilemma of choosing a sub class. I am unsure which one I want to pick.

the current party composition is:
Dwarf Barbarian ( me)
Gnome Cleric
Dwarf Ranger
and possibly a rogue assassin of some kind. (This guy has been wishy washy about the whole campaign)

Any suggestions?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-15, 10:03 AM
Given that this doesn't seem like a party that will be focused on optimization, and more on fun, I would say that any subclass would work.

I'd say that there are some subclasses (Storm Herald) that would be weaker than others, but most of them would be fine with this group. I would also stay away from Wolf Totem Barbarian unless the Dwarf Ranger is going to be melee, at which point it might be a good combo. With Dwarf, you open up the possibility of Battlerager, but Zealot from XGtE just feels like a better version of that subclass.

So the main decision you'll need to make is whether you want to be more of the party Tank (Bear Totem, Ancestral) or Offensive (Zealot or Frenzy).

curious-puzzle
2017-12-15, 10:08 AM
I'm playing a dwarf bear totem barbarian in Out of the Abyss, and it's amazing. You rush up to the enemy and are a gigantic damage sponge, you can take whatever they dish out. And if they don't try to take you out, you wail on them with whatever oversized weapon you prefer and deal lots of damage. Win-win! :)

Azazel_Unbound
2017-12-15, 10:21 AM
Yeah, the ranger I know is going to be ranged. I have no idea on how optimized the cleric is. I'm planning to either take more damage, or be able to ward off damage (So, likely totem or ancestry) for them. I feel I am leaning toward totem for utility, but the ancestor gives me a good pull for ally damage deduction and theme

Specter
2017-12-15, 10:26 AM
If there are at least two people in melee with you, then Wolfbarian is probably the best bet.
Otherwise, everything goes.

jaappleton
2017-12-15, 10:32 AM
If you have XGtE, I suggest Zealot Barbarian.

Otherwise, go Bear Totem. You'll have a ton of HP either way, but it's looking like you're the tank. Now, you'll also be doing a ton of damage, so here's basically what the decision boils down to: Take half damage from everything but Psychic (Bear), or deal extra damage and be able to reroll the occasional saving throw (Zealot). If you don't anticipate a lot of charm or domination effects, I say go Bear Totem. If your DM does like to throw that stuff at you, go Zealot.

Azazel_Unbound
2017-12-15, 10:43 AM
Hard to say, its the first time this guy has DMed for me, so I am unsure what he will be more prone to do. Ultimately this will likely come down to preference and what I will feel may be more applicable it seems.

jaappleton
2017-12-15, 10:45 AM
Honestly, then?

Zealot, if applicable. While taking half damage to everything but Psychic is great, you're going to need to deal both extra damage and tank. Zealot's ability to reroll any save once per rage can save your entire party.

Look, if you get Dominated, you can easily murder another party member.

Azazel_Unbound
2017-12-15, 10:49 AM
Honestly, then?

Zealot, if applicable. While taking half damage to everything but Psychic is great, you're going to need to deal both extra damage and tank. Zealot's ability to reroll any save once per rage can save your entire party.

Look, if you get Dominated, you can easily murder another party member.
I think we have a winner here. God that gave me a chuckle.

N810
2017-12-15, 11:00 AM
Berserkers are immune to charm and fear while raging. :thog:

GlenSmash!
2017-12-15, 02:59 PM
Berserkers are immune to charm and fear while raging. :thog:
Yup, that covers most of the saves that will make you murder your own party. Berserkers are still vulnerable to Sleep and Hold Person and such that a Zealot could get a reroll on.

The immunity combined with how reliable Retaliation is makes Berserkers a really solid choice. Still, If you have a decent source of a Reaction attack like PM, Retaliation loses a bit of steam.

Personally I'd go with GWM & PM Zealot first, Bear Totem second, Berserker third.

jaappleton
2017-12-15, 03:06 PM
But Zealot's reroll can be applied to any role. Finger of Death? Disintegrate?

Azazel_Unbound
2017-12-15, 03:13 PM
So I am currently building my zealot barbarian currently running with AC 19 (14 dex (+2)+20 con(+5) + shield) I'm using a longsword and I took the shield master feat. Thoughts on this so far?

GlenSmash!
2017-12-15, 03:23 PM
So I am currently building my zealot barbarian currently running with AC 19 (14 dex (+2)+20 con(+5) + shield) I'm using a longsword and I took the shield master feat. Thoughts on this so far?

Shield Master Feat is just fine on a Barb. +2 to Dex saves combines well with Danger Sense giving advantage. Also, Rage will give advantage on Shield Master Shoves, but since they both take a bonus action you can't do both on the same turn.

You'll obviously do less damage then a GWM or PM Barbarian, but you'll have increased survivablity. Also if you have other Melee attackers in your party they will appreciate with the advantage from knocking your foes prone. Ranged attackers won't appreciate the disadvantage.

mephnick
2017-12-15, 03:29 PM
Ranged attackers won't appreciate the disadvantage.

That's what they get for being cowards.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-15, 05:13 PM
That's what they get for being cowards.

+1

Also they can just walk up to melee range to cancel disadvantage.