PDA

View Full Version : Swarm PC

Malapterus
2017-12-15, 03:17 PM
Any thoughts on a character who is a swarm?

I've always thought a Hellwasp Swarm could be an interesting race to base your character off if.

Libris Mortis has some kind of swarm-shifter template but that seems lengthy to get to.

Any other ideas?

stack
2017-12-15, 03:37 PM
Pathfinder 3pp Spheres of Power has an option for turning into a swarm via the Alteration sphere (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/alteration#toc45). While that is a limited duration effect (minutes per level unless you have class features extending it, such as the shifter (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/shifter)class), the basic mechanics ought to be sound for creating an at-will ability.

I don't know off the top of my head if swarm mechanics vary significantly between PF and 3.5.

Segev
2017-12-15, 04:48 PM
Playing as a Shimmerling Swarm (from MMIII) has always been an amusing notion to me.

Necroticplague
2017-12-15, 04:50 PM
Any thoughts on a character who is a swarm?

I've always thought a Hellwasp Swarm could be an interesting race to base your character off if.

Libris Mortis has some kind of swarm-shifter template but that seems lengthy to get to.

Any other ideas?

Swarms are technically a single creature, so Wild Shape can let you turn into a swarm. Hellwasp swarms would be unavailable barring Planar Shepherd, though.

Theres also the silithar, but last I checked, the ECl for that was prohibitively expensive.

You can also use Lycanthrope template to make your creature a were-swarm for Animal swarms (like rats and ravens). Size restrictions might make this somewhat hard to do, though.

stack
2017-12-15, 05:12 PM
I recall some crazy forum build using dread blossom swarms and a symbiote template. Searching for dread blossom swarm might turn it up.

Or I could recall the name incorrectly.

Velaryon
2017-12-15, 05:33 PM
I've always been a big fan of the Worm That Walks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm), at least fluff-wise. That link is to the epic version, which makes it unsuitable for most games. Also, I'm unwilling to vouch for how well it's designed; I just think it's really cool.

Gruftzwerg
2017-12-15, 10:41 PM
a 16th lvl warlock could pick the dark invocation "Dark Discorporation". It lets him turn into batlike shadows. Downside is, you are reduced to move actions and can't use other invocations.

but kicks in very late where more and more enemies will have an answer to swarms...

daremetoidareyo
2017-12-15, 11:39 PM
I guess you could be a hivemind (BOVD).

frogglesmash
2017-12-16, 04:39 AM
Cranium Rats from Fiend Folio form a hive mind that gets smarter the more rats there are.

Inevitability
2017-12-16, 05:55 AM
The Anthropomorphic template from Savage Species says the following:

Any animal (hereafter referred to as the base creature), but not a dire animal, can be created as an anthropomorphic animal.

Rat and bat swarms are both animals, and aren't dire, so they are valid targets.

Level adjustment, however, is a problem. The book makes it quite clear that it's supposed to have a LA for every animal in the MM, but it doesn't. By strict RAW, that'd mean the swarm's LA of — is unchanged. However, the rule by which this'd happen is commonly houseruled away (as nobody likes playing with +0 LA Chosen of Bane), so depending on the workaround your group uses it might be possible.

Personally, I'd suggest a LA of +2 for anthropomorphic bat swarms, and one of +1 (possibly +0?) for the rat swarm.

ShurikVch
2017-12-16, 12:50 PM
I know, it wouldn't help in case of the Hellwasp Swarm, but for a swarm in general - Swarm Form spell (Dragon #280) is awesome
It lasts 1 hour/level (and, being 5th-level Sorcerer/Wizard spell, it's mean 9 - 10 hours of transformation from the very start; or 18 - 20, if extended)
You can transform into anything which may be summoned by the Summon Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonSwarm.htm), or into swarm of any other Tiny(or smaller)-sized Animals or Vermin
Unlike the "regular" Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm), your form have some differences:
your Space stays the same as for your normal form
area attack doesn't cause +50% extra damage for you
your Swarm Attack overcomes DR/magic

rahimka
2017-12-16, 04:16 PM
During an Evil campaign, my PC's cohort was actually sentient Hellwasp Swarm. The thing was sent by Asmodeus as an emissary of sorts to guide my PC into his evil destiny and what not. It used the aggregate sound from its/their wings to mimic humanoid speech (since it's telepathy range was "touch"). The thing had an... unsettling... effect on almost everybody we met. But that worked for my PC and the creepy vibe he WANTED to project.

I think pretty much any PC Swarm would run into problems ANY level of actual socializing. Some rather extreme measures for disguising yourself might HELP, but the best you're realistically going to achieve is not immediately standing out as a terrifying swarm of somethings

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-16, 06:05 PM
Swarms are technically a single creature, so Wild Shape can let you turn into a swarm. Hellwasp swarms would be unavailable barring Planar Shepherd, though.

Theres also the silithar, but last I checked, the ECl for that was prohibitively expensive.

You can also use Lycanthrope template to make your creature a were-swarm for Animal swarms (like rats and ravens). Size restrictions might make this somewhat hard to do, though.Entomanthrope (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) for bug swarms.

The brood keeper's heart (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?139008-3-5-Fun-with-Swarm-Subtype) soulmeld grants the [swarm] subtype on its own, if you can bind it to your heart chakra.

Necroticplague
2017-12-16, 06:28 PM
Entomanthrope (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) for bug swarms.

Sadly, this doesn't work, because that was much better written than Lycanthrope.

Size and Type: The base creature's type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The entomanothrope takes on characteristics of some monstrous vermin (not swarms) no more than one size category larger than the base creature (referred to as the base vermin).

ShurikVch
2017-12-17, 09:19 AM
Note: Hellwasp Swarm is listed as an option for Improved Familiar in Dragon #329
(required Evil alignment and arcane CL 16+)

The thing had an... unsettling... effect on almost everybody we met. But that worked for my PC and the creepy vibe he WANTED to project.

I think pretty much any PC Swarm would run into problems ANY level of actual socializing. Some rather extreme measures for disguising yourself might HELP, but the best you're realistically going to achieve is not immediately standing out as a terrifying swarm of somethingsActually, the Inhabit (Ex) SA of Hellwasp Swarm can kinda circumvent it: people would see the controlled creature, not the Swarm itself

Necroticplague
2017-12-17, 12:56 PM
I think pretty much any PC Swarm would run into problems ANY level of actual socializing. Some rather extreme measures for disguising yourself might HELP, but the best you're realistically going to achieve is not immediately standing out as a terrifying swarm of somethings

Well, most of the forms of swarmdom available to PCs don't have that problem, because their ability is to turn into a swarm, not always be one. Silithar can gather themselves into a non-swarm form, Lycanthropes can simply not be in animal or hybrid form, druids can simply not Wildshape into a swarm,..

Malapterus
2017-12-18, 10:34 AM
Sadly if I was DMing I'd have to say a swarm is not "one animal" for the purpose of things such ad Wild Shape. It's explicitly not, and if it was, what size category would it be? It takes up 4 spaces but the entry says 'diminutive'. I don't think lycanthropy and druidism were meant to work that way.

ShurikVch
2017-12-18, 11:09 AM
Sadly if I was DMing I'd have to say a swarm is not "one animal" for the purpose of things such ad Wild Shape. It's explicitly not, and if it was, what size category would it be? It takes up 4 spaces but the entry says 'diminutive'. I don't think lycanthropy and druidism were meant to work that way.City-Shape (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a):
At 12th level, the druid does not gain the ability to transform into plant creatures. Instead, she may transform into an animal- or vermin-based swarm, so long as it fits within her standard wild shaping Hit Die limits.Swarm Form:
At 10th level, a vermin keeper can use his wild shape to assume the form of any vermin swarm (any swarm whose constituent creatures are of the vermin type).Swarm Shape:
Beginning at 2nd level, a master of flies can take the form of a swarm of vicious little vermin and return to her own form. This effect is similar to that of a summon swarm spell, except that the swarm is of the same size category as the caster (and it has the same face statistic as the caster). The master of flies can choose the type of vermin from the table above. In swarm shape, she can move at a speed of 15 feet, or up to 45 feet if the swarm flies (poor maneuverability).
The swarm has the same number of hit points as the original creature and can be damaged by fire and area-effect spells and abilities. If the swarm is dispersed (by gust of wind, for example), the master of flies must return to her own shape. To do so, the dispersed creatures must first coalesce (at the swarm’s speed); the master of flies must take a standard action on the following round to transform.
A master of flies can use this ability once per day at 2nd level and more times per day at 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, and 9th level, as shown on Table 7–3: The Master of Flies.
At 5th level, a master of flies is able to take the shape of a swarm identical to that produced by an insect plague spell, except that the swarm can be no more than one size larger than the master of flies (you can choose the face if more than one is available). This swarm can move at half the master of flies’ normal speed and can fly at the same speed (clumsy maneuverability).
At 8th level, a master of flies is able to take the shape of a swarm identical to that produced by a creeping doom spell, except that the swarm can be no more than two size categories larger than the master of flies (you can choose the face statistic if more than one is possible). This mass of vermin can only move at 10 feet per round and cannot fly.
In all other respects, the swarm shape ability is identical to the druid’s wild shape ability (see Chapter 3 of the Player's Handbook).

Malapterus
2017-12-18, 11:16 AM
City-Shape (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a):Swarm Form:Swarm Shape:

Right, but some people were saying a swarm counts as one animal so any druid can de-facto become a swarm of rats; this is what I disagree with

Darrin
2017-12-18, 11:20 AM
I recall some crazy forum build using dread blossom swarms and a symbiote template. Searching for dread blossom swarm might turn it up.

Gather 'round children, and let me tell you a story about the forgotten template... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?259833-Gather-round-children-and-let-me-tell-you-a-story-about-the-forgoten-template)

A couple other swarm ideas:

Black Sparrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21197986&postcount=91) uses MoMF + the black pudding's Split (Ex) ability + Dark Speech to create a hivemind swarm. This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21212495&postcount=152) explains a more elegant work-around for knocking down the swarm's HD so it works with Dark Speech.

However, there's an easier way... Bard 5/Warlock 1 can summon a bat swarm, cast sonorous hum to take care of the concentration, and then use Dark Speech to turn it into a hivemind with sorcerer casting around... level 89, I think? High enough to do some body-swapping shenanigans.

Necroticplague
2017-12-18, 01:05 PM
Sadly if I was DMing I'd have to say a swarm is not "one animal" for the purpose of things such ad Wild Shape. And that's your prerogitive as the DM, it's just directly contrary to what the rules actually say.

It's explicitly not, Wrong.

For game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creature A swarm, by definition, is one creature. If it's not just one creature, it's not a swarm.

and if it was, what size category would it be? It takes up 4 spaces but the entry says 'diminutive'.
It's Diminutive, because it's statblock says so. Size and space aren't necessarily related, even though they generally are. The fact that swarms are are always 10x10 is a specific trait of swarms, regardless of its size.

I don't think lycanthropy and druidism were meant to work that way.
Probably not, but I fail to see why the intent is relevant. The words on the page are the words on the page, regardless of why they were written there.

Malapterus
2017-12-18, 03:16 PM
There are many pages. One of the pages says "a swarm of diminiutuve creatures consists of 5,000 flying creatures." Wild Shape lets you turn into AN animal, not 5,000 animals. A druid cannot turn into a swarm any more than it can turn into a pack or herd.

Thurbane
2017-12-18, 07:30 PM
As mentioned: Silithar (LoM p.168). 9RHD +8 LA...so not exactly viable for most PCs.

ATHATH
2017-12-18, 07:48 PM
I know, it wouldn't help in case of the Hellwasp Swarm, but for a swarm in general - Swarm Form spell (Dragon #280) is awesome
It lasts 1 hour/level (and, being 5th-level Sorcerer/Wizard spell, it's mean 9 - 10 hours of transformation from the very start; or 18 - 20, if extended)
You can transform into anything which may be summoned by the Summon Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonSwarm.htm), or into swarm of any other Tiny(or smaller)-sized Animals or Vermin
Unlike the "regular" Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm), your form have some differences:
your Space stays the same as for your normal form
area attack doesn't cause +50% extra damage for you
your Swarm Attack overcomes DR/magic
Does it give you the (Su) abilities of the form that you adopt? Teleporting around all day as an argent spider (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030725a) swarm might be pretty cool.

Can you cast spells in the form that you adopt?

ATHATH
2017-12-18, 07:53 PM
There are many pages. One of the pages says "a swarm of diminiutuve creatures consists of 5,000 flying creatures." Wild Shape lets you turn into AN animal, not 5,000 animals. A druid cannot turn into a swarm any more than it can turn into a pack or herd.
And I counter that with this quote from the text of the Wild Shape ability:

Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type.

I will admit that the sentence before the one that I just quoted might conflict with my argument, but my computer is having a hard time highlighting things from the srd (or from anywhere, really).

Can we get eggynack in here to settle this for us?

Necroticplague
2017-12-18, 09:13 PM

Turning into a swarm isn't turning into 5000 creatures. It's turning into one: the swarm. Just like how a human is made of trillions of cells, but is only one creature, the swarm is made of thousands of spiders/rats/whatevers, but is only one creature.

Malapterus
2017-12-18, 11:05 PM
Turning into a swarm isn't turning into 5000 creatures. It's turning into one: the swarm. Just like how a human is made of trillions of cells, but is only one creature, the swarm is made of thousands of spiders/rats/whatevers, but is only one creature.

It's a little different. One of your skin cells can't survive on its own. One of your kidneys can't go out on an individual adventure. Your arms can't slither off indefinitely and then come join up with you or another person.

Many swarms have stats for their individual members, but outside undead there are no stats for individual cells or loose limbs. A swarm is a collection of individual, independent life forms, working together. It's no more a single creature than a city is, or the planet. A Druid cannot turn into a city.

ATHATH
2017-12-18, 11:12 PM
A Druid cannot turn into a city.
And that's where you're wrong!

Apply size buffs to yourself until you reach Colossal (size). Then, fail your saving throw against Flesh to Stone. Then, have a group of people carve a civilization/city into your stone form. Bam. You started as a Druid(,) and are now a city. If that doesn't count as "a Druid turning into a city", I don't know what does.

stack
2017-12-19, 09:10 AM
And that's where you're wrong!

Apply size buffs to yourself until you reach Colossal (size). Then, fail your saving throw against Flesh to Stone. Then, have a group of people carve a civilization/city into your stone form. Bam. You started as a Druid(,) and are now a city. If that doesn't count as "a Druid turning into a city", I don't know what does.

Colossal creatures have a 25 ft cubic space, and space is greater than actual volume. That's a room with an unusually tall ceiling, not a city.

Seriously, colossal is big for an animal, but not big in terms of architecture.

Darrin
2017-12-19, 09:41 AM
Colossal creatures have a 25 ft cubic space, and space is greater than actual volume. That's a room with an unusually tall ceiling, not a city.

A city is defined in the DMG (p. 137) by population rather than physical size. So if the 25 ft cubic space includes at least 5,001 inhabitants, then it can be considered a "small city". Thus, a bat swarm (5,000 bats) + one other resident could be regarded as a city.

stack
2017-12-19, 09:43 AM
A city is defined in the DMG (p. 137) by population rather than physical size. So if the 25 ft cubic space includes at least 5,001 inhabitants, then it can be considered a "small city". Thus, a bat swarm (5,000 bats) + one other resident could be regarded as a city.

But a bat swarm is a single creature, as argued above, so only counts as 1 inhabitant I would think. RAW! (maybe)

ShurikVch
2017-12-19, 09:51 AM

Seriously, colossal is big for an animal, but not big in terms of architecture.Colossal size (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat):

Height or Length

Weight

64 ft. or more
125 tons or more

As some people pointed, there are no bigger size categories than Colossal; since the "Colossal" doesn't have an upper limit ("or more"), things of any vast (64'+) size - including astronomical objects (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_object) - are all Colossal-sized

For example, let's look at Ugudenk the Squirming King (ruler of 177th layer of Abyss): in its statblock, the size is Colossal; but, according to "Appearance", "its body often trailing so far into the distance that this twitching coils can be seen wrapped around remote mountain peaks."

https://t11.deviantart.net/3BrEBsZThM87qIAjuCwhtCSHTo8=/fit-in/700x350/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre00/122b/th/pre/f/2007/251/2/1/ugudenk_by_njoo.jpg

stack
2017-12-19, 10:37 AM
Guess I was working of the standard pathfinder sizes (colossal is actually a 30 ft space, not 25 as I said). Didn't realize colossal was 'yeah whatever, we aren't defining anything bigger'.

Looking at the PF kaiju more closely I see that they can have larger spaces as well. Huh.

That said, I suspect any effect that makes a druid the size of a normal human city is probably the result of loose definitions and unintended consequences. Regardless, we can probably call this tangent sufficiently discussed.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-19, 10:37 AM
During an Evil campaign, my PC's cohort was actually sentient Hellwasp Swarm. The thing was sent by Asmodeus as an emissary of sorts to guide my PC into his evil destiny and what not. It used the aggregate sound from its/their wings to mimic humanoid speech (since it's telepathy range was "touch"). The thing had an... unsettling... effect on almost everybody we met. But that worked for my PC and the creepy vibe he WANTED to project.
Sounds like someone may have been inspired by Wildbow. I sure hope so, because that sounds awesome.

As some people pointed, there are no bigger size categories than Colossal; since the "Colossal" doesn't have an upper limit ("or more"), things of any vast (64'+) size - including astronomical objects (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_object) - are all Colossal-sized
For example, let's look at Ugudenk the Squirming King (ruler of 177th layer of Abyss): in its statblock, the size is Colossal; but, according to "Appearance", "its body often trailing so far into the distance that this twitching coils can be seen wrapped around remote mountain peaks."
https://t11.deviantart.net/3BrEBsZThM87qIAjuCwhtCSHTo8=/fit-in/700x350/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre00/122b/th/pre/f/2007/251/2/1/ugudenk_by_njoo.jpg
Unless you can polymorph into a specific city-sized Colossal creature, I don't think this matters. Stacking size buffs from Gargantuan to Colossal would presumably just double your height again, like it did when you stacked from from Huge to Gargantuan. If you started at 5.5 feet tall, you'd end up at only 88 feet tall when you hit colossal size. Of course, if you had some more size buffs to go, it wouldn't be hard to argue that you get to double your height once more to 176 feet. And again to 352 feet. And again to 704 feet. And so on.

The exact size you'd need to be a city would vary. Kowloon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City) had 50,000 Medium-sized residents, a horizontal area of 6.4 acres, and 10-14 stories tall (call it an average of 120 feet). This is just a bit under a million cubic meters (thanks, Wolfram Alpha!), which puts a city-space at about 20 cubic meters per Medium creature. (That's roughly equal to a typical room ten feet to a side.) It's hard to imagine any city being more cramped than Kowloon without rapidly losing population, so let's go with that figure. Let's similarly assume that Small creatures need 1/8th of the space, or 2.5 cubic meters; a city of 5,000 halflings would require 12,500 cubic meters of hollowed-out druid.
A quick Google search says that humans have an average volume around 95 liters, which we'll round down to 90. (I'm rounding down because you'll need to leave plenty of stone in place to hold the thing up, given both the odd shape and the fact that stone isn't as good a structural material as I-beams.) This is 0.09 cubic meters; we need to increase that by a factor of roughly 140,000 to be big enough to serve as a Kowloon Small City for halflings. Increasing a Medium creature's size category five times (to Colossal+) would increase its volume less than 33,000 times, but once more brings it to over 260,000 times the original volume.
In other words, a 350-foot person, hollowed out, could serve as what D&D calls a "small city" for halflings, if they were willing to live in squalor comparable to one of the most wretched communities in history which wasn't being actively exterminated. So, um, maybe go to Colossal+++ to make sure the druid stays a city for longer than it takes the halflings to receive their share of the wager.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-19, 11:16 AM
Sounds like someone may have been inspired by Wildbow. I sure hope so, because that sounds awesome.Speaking of Wildbow/Worm and Kaiju... (https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/taylor-varga-worm-luna-varga.32119/)

Necroticplague
2017-12-19, 11:48 AM
Many swarms have stats for their individual members,
Most don't, and the rules for swarms make no obligation that this is required.

A swarm is a collection of individual, independent life forms, working together. It's no more a single creature than a city is, or the planet. A Druid cannot turn into a city.Neither cities nor planets are creatures, so that analogy fails miserably. A druid can't become a city because a city is not a creature. A swarm is a creature. A single one, at that.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-19, 12:01 PM
Neither cities nor planets are creatures, so that analogy fails miserably. A druid can't become a city because a city is not a creature.It is if it's a Colossal animated object. So long as the druid has access to Colossal construct wild shape, he can do it.

Darrin
2017-12-19, 01:11 PM
But a bat swarm is a single creature, as argued above, so only counts as 1 inhabitant I would think. RAW! (maybe)

The rules regarding swarms are not detailed enough to make any RAW conclusions about whether or not they count as a single or multiple creatures. For combat purposes, they are generally abstracted to be treated as a single creature. In some other situations, they can still be treated as individual creatures. It depends on the context.

Necroticplague
2017-12-19, 02:26 PM
The rules regarding swarms are not detailed enough to make any RAW conclusions about whether or not they count as a single or multiple creatures. For combat purposes, they are generally abstracted to be treated as a single creature. In some other situations, they can still be treated as individual creatures. It depends on the context.

Incorrect. Swarms are, at all times, a single creature. By definition.
For game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creature with a space of 10 feet. If it's not a single creature, it can't be a swarm.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-19, 02:28 PM
Neither cities nor planets are creatures, so that analogy fails miserably. A druid can't become a city because a city is not a creature. A swarm is a creature. A single one, at that.
It's appealing to real-world logic. You could argue that a city is a single organism made of interdependent units (people), just as you could argue the same for portuguese men-of-war, ant colonies, or humans (with the units in that case being cells or organs).

Bobbyjackcorn
2017-12-19, 03:47 PM
Incorrect. Swarms are, at all times, a single creature. By definition. If it's not a single creature, it can't be a swarm.

Agreed, swarms are described as being different from a simple pile of small animals, they are creatures that act in syncronisity as one creature, are defined as one creature, and are treated by RAW as one creature for effects.
For those who don't agree, imagine the inverse- arguing that a swarm is hundreds of creatures, and there are spells that allow one to turn into a swarm, that there should be spells that also allow one caster to, say, become a herd of 60 individual cows, or three devils at once- because after all, there are spells that allow one to become things that you are also arguing to be considered multiplicities.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-12-19, 06:09 PM
Warforged Druid with a swarm companion going into Arcane Hierophant to also make it a swarm familiar. Then have the swarm live inside the metal body and say they’re piloting it like a mecha

P.F.
2017-12-19, 10:34 PM
No amount of parsing or close reading is going to yield a definitive ruling on this.

For game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creature
Seems pretty straightforward ... until you look at the context in the same sentence.

with a space of 10 feet—gigantic hordes are actually composed of dozens of swarms in close proximity.
The game purposes for which a swarm is defined as a single creature in this sentence are those pertaining to its size/space. If you want a giant 20'x20' swarm, it would be treated as 4 creatures. The limited scope is reinforced by the following sentences:

A swarm has a single pool of Hit Dice and hit points, a single initiative modifier, a single speed, and a single Armor Class. It makes saving throws as a single creature.
This is similar to the entry for "dog," which reads, in part, "dogs generally hunt in packs, but each dog males saving throws as a single creature," because no one needs to clarify under what circumstances each dog is treated a single creature. A swarm, on the other hand,

consists of 300 nonflying creatures or 1,000 flying creatures
Etc, etc.

The rules state explicitly that a swarm is made up of multiple creatures.

So the answer is "both yes and no." Ask your DM. There are other, better ways to be a swarm, both explicitly by RAW (NOT these implicit "single creature" shenanigans), or by DM fiat, as in, "I'd like to be a hellwasp swarm, what would the LA on something like that be?"

Ravens_cry
2017-12-20, 03:26 AM
I'd love to see a player play this, as someone playing a full time swarm. Not someone who controls swarms, (sorry Worm) or someone who magically turns into one now and then, or even a humanoid character that, wow, sudden reveal, is made of bugs, but an actual, factual swarm as a PC. Just immersing myself into such a mindset would be a wonderful challenge.

ShurikVch
2017-12-20, 07:06 AM
Warforged Druid with a swarm companion going into Arcane Hierophant to also make it a swarm familiar. Then have the swarm live inside the metal body and say they’re piloting it like a mechaActually, Hivenest Monster template is playable; unfortunately, it specified "Vermin", and Hellwasps are Magical Beasts (unlike, say, Bloodfiend Locust)

I'd love to see a player play this, as someone playing a full time swarm. Not someone who controls swarms, (sorry Worm) or someone who magically turns into one now and then, or even a humanoid character that, wow, sudden reveal, is made of bugs, but an actual, factual swarm as a PC. Just immersing myself into such a mindset would be a wonderful challenge.Oogie Boogie?
Worm that Walks?

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-20, 10:15 AM
No amount of parsing or close reading is going to yield a definitive ruling on this.
Quoted for truth.

I'd love to see a player play this, as someone playing a full time swarm...Just immersing myself into such a mindset would be a wonderful challenge.
I don't see its mindset being that different from a human's. I mean, you're made up of trillions of interdependent living things. Granted, a swarm's individual components are more independent, but there must be some interdependence for a hive mind to be a thing.