PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for miniatures (again)

Petrukio
2017-12-16, 05:14 AM
This time, I'm looking for a miniature for an Early Stage Barathu (https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3697785.png) in Starfinder, or possibly a Pathfinder Brethedan from Bestiary 4. Or something similar for, as you might expect, a Barathu character. I really don't want to do a flumph, though.

I do have an order in for the Starfinder Masterclass minis, but they won't be out until long after I need it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all very much for any and all help.

Pugwampy
2017-12-16, 06:05 AM
You can just stick a coin or a bottle cap or chess piece on the battlefield and show players a printed picture of whatever that thing is and say this is what you are fighting.

As a mini collector here is my advice . If you want to be known for your pretty set piece game encounters with all the frills and flumph , You dont buy a mini for an encounter. You dont adapt to an encounter , THE ENCOUNTER ADAPTS TO YOU .

You buy minis and plastic trees and whatever else you find in your old toy box or from your local toy shop and then create a quest / encounter around them .

DrMotives
2017-12-16, 10:07 AM
So I don't know Starfinder, but that looks like a caterpillar vomiting tentacles. Fudging a carrion crawler is about as close as you'll get with common monster minis. A quick google search showed me a set of a dozen 3 inch long plastic caterpillars can be ordered from Walmart for 99 cents, plus $4 shipping. If these things are big enough that a 3 inch mini will do, you could go that route.

Arutema
2017-12-16, 09:14 PM
Grab the Alien Archive pawn box from your FLGS or Paizo's online shop. It has a set of Barathu pawns included. Or if you know someone who has it, ask to borrow one of the 4 Early-stage Barathu pawns from him for a while.

Dalmosh
2017-12-17, 04:43 AM
Tyrannid spore mine from Warhammer 40k?

ericgrau
2017-12-17, 10:08 PM
Buy a base for a flying creature with the stick in the middle. Buy a small plastic toy lobster, cut off the tail. Check the size so the tail is the right size (around 2-3" long, look at the pic to gauge it). Glue or putty onto stick. Or drill a hole slightly smaller than stick and force fit on. Drape curly purple ribbons, the kind often used as balloon strings, and fray the ends by making slits with a pair of scissors. Glue and tape them on the bottom, remove tape after glue dries.

Or don't worry much about the looks and substitute something.

tedcahill2
2017-12-17, 10:11 PM
I don't have any minis for my games, so I bought some 1", 2", and 3" round wood disks and then applied a 1", 2", and 3" clear round label to them.

Then I just write on them with wet erase markers and they become whatever I need them to be.

Pugwampy
2017-12-18, 06:02 AM
I don't have any minis for my games, so I bought some 1", 2", and 3" round wood disks and then applied a 1", 2", and 3" clear round label to them.

If you were going to spend cash anyways , you might as well have bought some cheap minis . :smallsmile:

ericgrau
2017-12-18, 02:12 PM
At least they're re-usable. Halfway between coins and stand-up printouts.