PDA

View Full Version : pact of the blade question + twf

Joe dirt
2017-12-16, 11:21 AM
can a pact of the blade with life drinker get the bonus based on charisma if the pact weapon is yielded in the off hand?

thanks

trctelles
2017-12-16, 11:32 AM
can a pact of the blade with life drinker get the bonus based on charisma if the pact weapon is yielded in the off hand?

thanks

By RAW, yes, you can use a Pact Weapon in the Off-Hand and use the lifedrinker bonus damage in it.

Just remember that you can only have ONE pact weapon at a time (so no dual-wielding 2 pact weapons).

RSP
2017-12-16, 01:54 PM
The Pact of blade invocations only work with the Pact weapon, so whereas there's no limitation to whether that weapon is wielded in the "main" or "off-hand," Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker only work with the Pact weapon.

Interestingly, RAW, the wording of Thirsting Blade may allow you to still take 2 attacks even if it is in the "off-hand" (off-hand isn't a game term in 5e like past editions).

So, RAW, if you have extra attack from another class, you could take that and then get two attacks with the bonus action from TB.

I have to state, though, that I doubt this is RAI (and probably won't be allowed by at most tables), but rather a wording error in seperating Thirsting Blade from Extra Attack.

Degwerks
2017-12-16, 04:07 PM
The Pact of blade invocations only work with the Pact weapon, so whereas there's no limitation to whether that weapon is wielded in the "main" or "off-hand," Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker only work with the Pact weapon.

Interestingly, RAW, the wording of Thirsting Blade may allow you to still take 2 attacks even if it is in the "off-hand" (off-hand isn't a game term in 5e like past editions).

So, RAW, if you have extra attack from another class, you could take that and then get two attacks with the bonus action from TB.

I have to state, though, that I doubt this is RAI (and probably won't be allowed by at most tables), but rather a wording error in seperating Thirsting Blade from Extra Attack.

Yeah it is worded weirdly, but using your reading of it you don't even actually have to use a bonus action at all for 4 attacks

RSP
2017-12-16, 04:32 PM
Yeah it is worded weirdly, but using your reading of it you don't even actually have to use a bonus action at all for 4 attacks

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The wording states:

"You can Attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on Your Turn."

The "instead of once" means you need to already have an attack with the Pact weapon before you can get a second.

Either way, it's moot. Just reviewed the multiclassing rules and it specific states EA and TB cannot be used together.

It still stands though, that RAW, I think you could Attack Action with one weapon, and BA attack using Pact weapon and get 2 attacks via TB.

Note this doesn't do anything you couldn't normal do using those abilities (so far as I'm aware) and is actually worse than doing the attacks via Attack Action with Pact weapon and TB for 2 attacks, followed by a BA attack with a second weapon in the other hand; as taking two attacks using the BA means those 2 attack wouldn't get ability mod to damage (barring multiclassing into a class that gets the fighting style).