PDA

View Full Version : Damage Progression question

FireSpark
2007-08-21, 12:27 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or not, but since the question derives from some homebrew work I'm doing, I figured, "what the heck?"

So here's the question: When dealing with damage dice, particualry with weapons and the increase or decrease of their respective damage die with regard to size, is there any rhyme or reason to having two seperate damage die trees?

To clarify, in the most likely event that I went superfluous with information, assume you start with 1d6 damage. As we begin to increase the weapons size, so does the damage die, as such: 1d6 > 1d8 > 2d6 > 3d6 > 4d6 > 6d6 > etc. Now, for some strange reason, this path skips over the 1d10, which seems to be the logical step between 1d8 and 2d6. Running with that, a weapon with a 1d10 damage die increases to 2d8, which then increases to 3d8 and so on.

Is there a pattern here, or not? I know it may not seem important (and it isn't all that urgent), but it's been rubbing my brain raw for a week now. Could someone please help salve my my grey matter? :smallfrown:

Joltz
2007-08-21, 12:32 PM
That's so you can have bastard swords. They're powerful for their size (one handed) but not as powerful as the next step up (a greatsword). The progression is so creatures of increased size can have them too.

adanedhel9
2007-08-21, 01:05 PM
The average of each step up is approximately 150% of the one below. Likewise, the average of each step down is approximately 66% of the one above. 1d8 and 1d10 are too close to each other (averages of 4.5 and 5.5, respectively) to fit together in the same progression. So there's one progression for 1d8 and one for 1d10.

FireSpark
2007-08-21, 02:37 PM
This helps, thank you. I can now see the call I made was the right one. Thanks.