PDA

View Full Version : DMPC and character in impossible situation

Aurich
2017-12-16, 05:46 PM
Ill try to sketch the situation as completely as possible.

There are 4 players.
A warlock, a rogue, a druid and a cleric.

The general backstory concerns an artifact stolen from the order the cleric is from.

They are tracking the thief and end up in a village near a city that is flooded by the bad weather. The city is plagued by a thieving guild and there are zombies around. There is also a vigilante active.
In the village there is now a garrison stationed to deal with the situation as an action in a larger picture, general trade lanes. The thieving guild is tipped of on actions of the garrison.
The players agree to be conscripted as auxiliary troops for the garrison (lords alliance).

The players are still looking for the spy. So they are cautious, but accomplish to stem the tide of zombies, find the thieves hideout and arrest the leader, occasionally helped by a member of the garrison (this character is one to fill a spot if one of the players can't make it, but is in essence a DMPC that is only there not having to redo all the encounters for a different number of players. This DMPC is a scout in service of the garrison).

The commander has a captain in charge of the logistics, and 2 minotaur lieutenants/bodyguards. I rule that without any incentive on the urgency of the players matter ( the danger the artifact resembles) he will not grant them a private audience. He simple has no time for this kind of interruptions if it doesn't sound important enough. He would make time if the players did at least convince him of it, but they refuse and stay put on the matter they want to see him in private (they think the spy for the thieves is amongst one of the higher ups). Their repeated argument against the commander is concerning this is it's a matter of the highest urgency, but refuse to divulge any scrap on the matter, but to the commander in person.

They players have committed the following positive things:

solve the zombie problem
solved the thieves problem
solved the vigilante problem

The players did the flowing negative things:

Steal a weapon of a soldier and threaten them with it, in a reaction of the soldiers picking on one of the members. They got arrested for it.
Failed to turn in their weapons when asked to when visiting the HQ, even openly flaunting them and refusing an explicit order of a superior. (resulting in the removal of the purpetrator from the HQ, sans weapon)
the warlock tried to stealthly cast understand languages to hear what the commander said to the lieutenant (they spoke Kyrin), but failed. resulting in the lieutenant intervening in his role of a bodyguard. the warlock was then also booted out the HQ
Stay out of the camp during the night after a punitive mission( because of the previous infraction above) (following the to do some investigation without consent of any superior, in essence AWOL

The players find a dead accomplice of the artifact thief in a location they are send out/volunteered to check out due to a strange phenomenon. But do not report their find of the corpse this to the higher ups. They were discharged from duty by their choice, after this because there was no longer need of the help of all the auxillary troops and they were almost set on continuing their adventure.

At this point the players are clueless ( they don't ask the correct questions), but before i get to solve that, insist on returning to the previous location. This location is now cleared out, now that a previous problem is solved there. Because of one missing player they pursue the company of my DMPC. I rule that now that the garrison in on that location now, and that the DMPC can't just go along without permission, they need to ask for the needed papers. which they get without to much trouble., because they are trusted They divulge some more info against the DMPC regarding what they are looking for in the castle and their relation with the body they find.

they get in trouble with a gargoyle there.

trying to set the players on course again, i play that the DMPC reported everything to the commander, which was not amused they were risking one of his men under false pretenses, withholding information, and a breach of trust they had build between them. (the players by this point were commended).

He have the players lifted from their beds end relieved of their weapons and led before the commander, who reprimand them on their decisions and he demands an explanation. Again they refuse to say anything because they fear the spy ( the spy has absolutely nothing to do with their quest btw). trying to resolve the stalemate, i resort to the following solution.

i have all players cuffed, let them come before me in private audience, have the commander take place, but place his longsword on the table. saying now that they have their private audience, he wants all the details. and if he is not satisfied by the answer there will be harsh repercussions because of the infractions. The first players explains a lot, but argues that he fears the spy. He explains the magnitude of the issue, and what info is withheld. Furiously the commanders asks if the PC and indirectly the player knows what the lords alliance stands for. to which i add OOC they are like a idea akin to the NATO and that they by their actions have themselves put in this position. The player also bigmouths a lot, which i again remind them of that they are in no position now to have any benefit of it and that they are making it harder on themselves)

the same with the second player, the cleric.

the third one, the warlock, has a flaw for his character : " no one tells me what to do", badmouths against the commander, eventually accusing him of being the spy and that he wants the players out of the way and that he is ungrateful of all the work the players have already done for him.

He then then summons a weapon ( didn't know the warlock can do that) and in general threatens the commander. which responds by calling out the guards and grabbing his own sword and pose against the warlock. in the mean time one guard, the lieutenant has barged in the room. The Warlock keeps accusing the commander and swats the commanders weapon away. i have combat started and the commander and the lieutenant make short work of the warlock.

The players, unbeknownst on the wrong track, think the commander is the bad guy. ( no problem, they may)

But they have had the chance to lay open card. i would have put them on track was it not for the warlock threatening the commander. I feel that the commander is now in the impossible situation he can not let this slip and is obliged to take action against the warlock specific and the other players in general.

I feel that for withholding information, endangering his men ( the DMPC) under false pretenses and mainly for treatening him, he has little other choice to have the warlock be executed.

I tried to play the commander as a righteous, but strict and i'm in the opinion i have no other choice. Moreso because i clearly said multiple timesthat badmouthing was very unwise, but he surprised me with his weapon trick. the warlock player know also that both bodyguards are also no nonsense that take their jobs very seriously.

I myself feel a bit bad that i will have to have one players character be eliminated, but i think i have in this story situation no other choice. And the player is of the opinion that i gave him no choice but that he had to react that way. That the dm deliberately trying to guide them to that point. No, i wanted to have them back on track, perhaps with a few bumps, but he forced my hand.

I think next session will start with an execution.

What are your opinions. am i right, am i wrong, what could i have done etc? because i'm still a bit new to DMing.

Unoriginal
2017-12-16, 06:23 PM
My advice is to not think that there are tracks.

Your players made their choices, the world reacted to them. They messed up, and messing up has consequences.

Now, if you don't want to have the PC killed, you could have a trial beforehand, with a NPC they trust acting as lawyer and asking the Warlock/the group wtf all this is about, and then try to smooth things with the commander.

SirGraystone
2017-12-16, 06:45 PM
First I don't think you should go for an execution, while he did attack the commander, noone died and he does have a reputation as a hero. Sending him for hard labor in some mine would be better and would let a chance to his group to rescue him later.

About the DMPC, he was the connection between the group and the military, but with this link now broken, it's probably time for him to go his own way. You are the DM, you don't need your own PC anyway. If you really want an NPC with the group, bring someone new (or an someone they have help before) who can help them rescue the warlock.

Unoriginal
2017-12-16, 07:10 PM
First I don't think you should go for an execution, while he did attack the commander, noone died and he does have a reputation as a hero. Sending him for hard labor in some mine would be better and would let a chance to his group to rescue him later.

The man has proven he could escape from bounds and summon weapons, there's no way they're sending him to a mine.

Especially that as a former hero, he deserves a clean death, not being worked to death in a mine.

Though once again, there probably should be a trial.

About the DMPC, he was the connection between the group and the military, but with this link now broken, it's probably time for him to go his own way. You are the DM, you don't need your own PC anyway. If you really want an NPC with the group, bring someone new (or an someone they have help before) who can help them rescue the warlock.

This is true.

Potato_Priest
2017-12-16, 08:04 PM
Especially that as a former hero, he deserves a clean death, not being worked to death in a mine.

Though once again, there probably should be a trial.

Is quick death > forced labor an already established or important ideology for the militia? Because if it isn’t then you should feel free to change it to whatever makes the situation more interesting or fun.

Emay Ecks
2017-12-16, 09:52 PM
From the sound of it, the warlock had no intent to kill. I think death penalty is incredibly harsh.

Your adventurers, and adventurers in general are a lot like "Gets results but doesn't follow the rules. The guy is a loose cannon" police officers that were incredibly popular in old movies. When those cops break the rules too much, they aren't executed. They're kicked off the force. Partially in recognition of past success, but also because they haven't really done much that deserves death. If your commander has ever seen or heard of adventurers before, he'd know that traditional ideas of rules and laws don't really apply to them. Take a quick look at what they did wrong and put it in perspective.

1.Witholding info - This is a non-issue. There is a known spy, loose lips sink ships, and the adventurers are not truly in this man's employ and don't really owe him (I know they are axillary troops, but both I and the commander would know this is little more than a formality. One doesn't actually employ adventurers. One points them in a direction and lets them unleash chaos upon it)

2. Endangering his men (under false pretenses) - You're in the Forgotten Realms/fantasyland/D&D setting. Existing is endangerment there. Taking someone out on an adventure isn't endangering them, unless they dangled him off a ledge to use him as bait for a roc. He made it back alive (and with more xp), who cares? I'm surprised this guy has time to care for his men's safety, they're probably dropping left and right to thieves and undead.

3. Threatening the commander- This is the only actual bad thing the players have done. However, it's clear that the player had no intent to kill, and that the execution would only be about saving face and pride. Again, this captain is dealing with literal psychopaths who are paid to murder people every day. The entity in question was clearly making a show of it (knocking sword away instead of attacking) and not a significant threat (if they could be as easily dispatched as you said). This is not an execution level offense in my book. Prison? Sure. Hard Labor? Sure. Execution? Someone has a stick up their rear.

I think the proper solution might be for the commander to recognize the previous heroic actions of the players, recognize their poor decisions, and just banish them from the area. Say "Hey I appreciate all the lives you saved by removing the undead menace and the thieves, but seriously, I can't deal with you anymore, and you've overstayed your welcome. Get out. Don't come back." These are basically mercenaries, they've saved lives and work on the part of the guards, they're not really worth keeping around, and they have started to prove obnoxious. They haven't done enough to merit execution, and besides, killing one might anger the rest. Best avoid it, and just send them away.

Potato_Priest
2017-12-16, 10:01 PM
eBay Ecks is brilliant. I strongly advise you listen to him.

Callin
2017-12-17, 12:29 AM
Honestly i feel like you are in the wrong here for letting it progress this far. The pcs were trusted enough to requsition men and had already proven themselves 3 times over. They should have gotten the private audience when asked for. They probably felt like their hands were tied by then and the PC actually playing his flaw should not be a death sentence when nothing he did warranted it. Tossed out of the order. Sure. Not death.

Unoriginal
2017-12-17, 07:10 AM
From the sound of it, the warlock had no intent to kill. I think death penalty is incredibly harsh.

[...]

3. Threatening the commander- This is the only actual bad thing the players have done. However, it's clear that the player had no intent to kill, and that the execution would only be about saving face and pride. Again, this captain is dealing with literal psychopaths who are paid to murder people every day. The entity in question was clearly making a show of it (knocking sword away instead of attacking) and not a significant threat (if they could be as easily dispatched as you said). This is not an execution level offense in my book. Prison? Sure. Hard Labor? Sure. Execution? Someone has a stick up their rear.

He summoned a weapon and started threatening the man with it, accusing him of being a spy. Even if it was a weird bluff, from the perspective of the military it looks like attempted murder

I think the proper solution might be for the commander to recognize the previous heroic actions of the players, recognize their poor decisions, and just banish them from the area. Say "Hey I appreciate all the lives you saved by removing the undead menace and the thieves, but seriously, I can't deal with you anymore, and you've overstayed your welcome. Get out. Don't come back." These are basically mercenaries, they've saved lives and work on the part of the guards, they're not really worth keeping around, and they have started to prove obnoxious.

This would be reasonable, though. With a standing order to arrest them immediately to face the music should they try to come back.

Honestly i feel like you are in the wrong here for letting it progress this far. The pcs were trusted enough to requsition men and had already proven themselves 3 times over. They should have gotten the private audience when asked for.

This is true, too.

napoleon_in_rag
2017-12-17, 08:18 AM

Instead of hard labor, have them sent on a suicide mission as punishment. More fun. Perhaps the mission in someway lets them determine who the spy is.