PDA

View Full Version : question about TWF and warlock thirsting blade

Joe dirt
2017-12-16, 11:47 PM
two weapon fighting question...
can one attack with main attack (using non pact weapon) then with off hand attack twice using the thirsting blade invocation and their pact weapon?

History_buff
2017-12-16, 11:54 PM
No. Thirsting blade requires that you attack with your pact weapon to get the benefits of extra attack. Your offhand attack uses your bonus action. As a DM I’d probably handwave it, but it’s not possible RAW.

Callin
2017-12-17, 12:03 AM
The stupidest reading of the Invocation would be that if you used your bonus action to attack with your pact weapon with Dual Wielding you would be able to do so twice as long as you used your Attack Action this round.

So in technicality you could attack 3 times, unless you had Extra Attack.

I dont know what sparked this thought since I only just read about it twice today but I now its not RAI at all, and could only be RAW if you looked at it sideways through a muddy mirror.

Sort of like the whole you State your Attack Action then use your Bonus to Shield Bash THEN do your Attacks. Legal and Fully within RAW. This I guess is trying to go off of that and say "I use my Attack Action and then before that goes off I use my Bonus Action to attack with my Pact Weapon Off Hand TWICE and then Finish my Attack Action with a Regular Weapon"

Matrix_Walker
2017-12-17, 12:05 AM
Thirsting blade is a tragic invocation. They really should just give you the extra attack feature for the cost of the invocation slot. The single weapon restriction is a pretty big nerf.

bid
2017-12-17, 12:05 AM
No. Thirsting blade requires that you attack with your pact weapon to get the benefits of extra attack. Your offhand attack uses your bonus action. As a DM I’d probably handwave it, but it’s not possible RAW.
Erm, the exact opposite opinion was reached in the duplicate thread. And it had RAW backing.

Quoting from the other thread:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The wording states:

"You can Attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on Your Turn."

The "instead of once" means you need to already have an attack with the Pact weapon before you can get a second.

Either way, it's moot. Just reviewed the multiclassing rules and it specific states EA and TB cannot be used together.

It still stands though, that RAW, I think you could Attack Action with one weapon, and BA attack using Pact weapon and get 2 attacks via TB.

Note this doesn't do anything you couldn't normal do using those abilities (so far as I'm aware) and is actually worse than doing the attacks via Attack Action with Pact weapon and TB for 2 attacks, followed by a BA attack with a second weapon in the other hand; as taking two attacks using the BA means those 2 attack wouldn't get ability mod to damage (barring multiclassing into a class that gets the fighting style).