PDA

View Full Version : Useless Magical Items!

BlizzardSucks80
2017-12-16, 11:52 PM
Hey, do any of you fellow users have any ideas for pointless and/or funny magical items to throw into a game? Whenever I GM, I often come up short on thinking of items to introduce to the players. I have a few ideas already, but wouldn't mind if anyone decided to expand upon this. Thank you

1. The Dagger of Life: Anyone you kill with this knife instantly comes back to life.
2. The Underwear of Sexually Transmitted Disease Resistance: As long as you wear it, you're safe from all manner of STDs. However, once you take them off, you can get infected with an STD just like everyone else.
3. The Nervous Strangling Cloak: A cloak that strangles you whenever you (or it) gets nervous.
4. The Hat of Truth: Normally, this hat is a neutral brownish color. Whenever you tell a lie while wearing the hat, the hat changes to a different color.
5. The Umbrella of Invisibility: Whenever you extend this umbrella and hold it over you, you become invisible. However, this only works if you're outside in the rain.
6. The Cookie Box: This magical golden box holds inside it the most delicious, irresistible cookies known to man, and it magically refreshes its supply daily. However, if you try to eat more than 1 cookie per day from it, the box shuts tightly on your hand so you can't eat that cookie.
7. The Bard's Nightmare: A magical flute that enhances the performance of anyone who plays it. However, at the end of each song played by it, there is a 10% chance that a squad of demonic assassins will appear and try to kill you.

Dimers
2017-12-16, 11:56 PM
You might want to look at this entire thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399328-List-of-Mostly-Useless-Magic-Items). Fun stuff in there.

Jay R
2017-12-17, 10:27 AM
4. The Hat of Truth: Normally, this hat is a neutral brownish color. Whenever you tell a lie while wearing the hat, the hat changes to a different color.

Until people learn about it, it might be very valuable.

"Hi there. I'm Filboid Studge." (hat changes color).
"I'm a diplomat from King Hkrikros." (hat changes color).
"He gave me this Hat of Truth to prove I'm acting for him." (hat changes color).
"It changes color every time I speak the truth." (hat changes color).
"You can see that it works to show my true statements." (hat changes color).
"He asked me to come get 50,000 gp from his vaults for his army." (hat changes color).
"The hat shows I'm telling the truth." (hat changes color).
"So you know you should give me the money." (hat changes color).

woweedd
2017-12-17, 03:37 PM

"I'm a diplomat from King Hkrikros." (hat changes color).
"He gave me this Hat of Truth to prove I'm acting for him." (hat changes color).
"It changes color every time I speak the truth." (hat changes color).
"You can see that it works to show my true statements." (hat changes color).
"He asked me to come get 50,000 gp from his vaults for his army." (hat changes color).
"The hat shows I'm telling the truth." (hat changes color).
"So you know you should give me the money." (hat changes color).
Plus, nothing says that YOU have to be the one wearing it. It'd be one hell of an interrogation tool on defeated foes.

King of Nowhere
2017-12-17, 03:41 PM
those are all potentially useful items

Hey, do any of you fellow users have any ideas for pointless and/or funny magical items to throw into a game? Whenever I GM, I often come up short on thinking of items to introduce to the players. I have a few ideas already, but wouldn't mind if anyone decided to expand upon this. Thank you

1. The Dagger of Life: Anyone you kill with this knife instantly comes back to life.

disguise it as loot and let your enemy take it and use against you.

2. The Underwear of Sexually Transmitted Disease Resistance: As long as you wear it, you're safe from all manner of STDs. However, once you take them off, you can get infected with an STD just like everyone else.
kiss without fear of herpes or mononucleosys

3. The Nervous Strangling Cloak: A cloak that strangles you whenever you (or it) gets nervous.
use it as throwing weapon. I'm pretty sure someone ambushed with a thrown cloak would get nervous

4. The Hat of Truth: Normally, this hat is a neutral brownish color. Whenever you tell a lie while wearing the hat, the hat changes to a different color.this would be invaluable in any kind of interrogation

5. The Umbrella of Invisibility: Whenever you extend this umbrella and hold it over you, you become invisible. However, this only works if you're outside in the rain.
still provides 50% miss chance. But hey, you can take a load of other umbrellas and make them levitate or something

6. The Cookie Box: This magical golden box holds inside it the most delicious, irresistible cookies known to man, and it magically refreshes its supply daily. However, if you try to eat more than 1 cookie per day from it, the box shuts tightly on your hand so you can't eat that cookie.
there must be way to block it open, for example by sticking a stone under the lid

7. The Bard's Nightmare: A magical flute that enhances the performance of anyone who plays it. However, at the end of each song played by it, there is a 10% chance that a squad of demonic assassins will appear and try to kill you.
FREE XP!!!

Mr Beer
2017-12-17, 07:33 PM

Ooh, Saki reference!

Jay R
2017-12-18, 12:05 AM
Ooh, Saki reference!

Oh, very good. Yes, it was.

[But so was King King Hkrikros (from The "Story of St. Vespaluus").]

Mutazoia
2017-12-18, 01:18 AM
You might want to look at this entire thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399328-List-of-Mostly-Useless-Magic-Items). Fun stuff in there.

Or this entire thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505049-Need-ideas-for-Redundant-Nonsense-Magic-Items&highlight=useless+magic)

This topic keeps cropping up every year or so.

Mordaedil
2017-12-19, 07:35 AM
Like others have said, these are hardly useless.

I mean, a weapon with merciful enchantment is already more useless than the dagger of life.

1. Restoring someone from dead can be incredibly useful in a number of situations.
2. You can wear a magic item anywhere you want. Just put it on your head. Or just pull them partway down. No issue.
3. A cloak that reveals when someone is nervous can be useful for interrogation.
4. This hat can reveal any untruth in a courtroom. I mean, there's a spell for this called Zone of Truth. This isn't a bad magic item.
5. Invisibility is still invisibility, even in rain. Good for scouting an enemy fortress.
6. I mean... It's a cookie for free.
7. Free summons that will assume who they can naturally see called them and murder them.

You want a useless item? Try a +1 brilliant energy bane (undead) longsword. Can't hit the enemy it is good for.

Mutazoia
2017-12-20, 12:49 AM
A ring of spell turning. When activated, a loud, clear voice says "Turning: Tee You ARE En Eye En Gee. Turning."

Helm of Invisibility. This helm is completely invisible, even when worn (the wearer is unaffected).

Boots of walking: Allows the wearer to walk at normal speed for his size/race over unobstructed terrain. While worn, the wearer cannot move faster or slower than, their normal walking speed.

Ion stone: The size of an actual ion. When activated, it orbits the users head and makes him feel generally positive about himself.

Shield of reflection. Held, the user begins to reflect on his past deed/misdeeds.

Robe of useless things. Once per turn, the wearer can reach into a pocket and pull out a random piece of crap that is no help in any situation (such as a still moist, used kleenex, a wadded piece of parchment with the punchline to a joke, but not the joke itself. Instructions for making mud, etc)

Flute of Insertion. This one time, at bard camp.....

Hat of head protection. When worn, protects the wearer's head from sun/wind/rain.

Glasses of obscured vision. This are definitely NOT your prescription.

Coin of flipping. When flipped, lands on either heads (50% chance) or Tails (50% chance). Unlimited uses per day.

Whip of cream. One flick will cover any surface with cool whip.

Lying Carpet. It is impossible for anyone standing on it to tell the truth.

Folding Goat. A successful DC 30 strength check allows you to fold this goat in half. Can only be used once.

Gem of Seething. Just holding this thing REALLY pisses you off.

Bow of Surprise. Fires small, brightly colored bows that adhere to the target, giving it a more festive appearance. Great for birthday parties and Christmas.

Sovereign Glue. Can only be used to glue Sovereigns (Kings and Queens) to each other.

Rod of One Million, Six-hundred and Eighty-two thousand, Nine-hundred and Eleven parts. Each part by itself is useless. When fully assembled, the rod immediately breaks down into its component parts, which scatter themselves across the planet. Good for wasting time.

Gauntlets of Ogre Stench. Upon donning these gauntlets, one immediately begins to smell like an overweight ogre that was forced to climb a very large flight of stairs, in the hot sun. Effect permanent, persisting even if the gauntlets are removed.

Feather of falling. When held aloft and released, this magical item will float gently to the ground, taking no damage. Does not work when in contact with any living (or dead, or undead) creature or construct.

Slug Thrower: A hand crossbow that launches an ordinary, every day, garden variety slug at the target. Does no damage, but eww gross dude!

Bulls-eye arrow: When fired, automatically his any nearby bull right in the eye (automatic critical hit). Will miss any other target automatically (it wouldn't hit the ground if you dropped it).

Cat-o-nine-tales: This large cat statue speaks non-stop, telling the same (extremely boring) nine stories over, and over, and over, and over and over....

Mirror of Scurrying. This very ornate hand mirror is always just out of reach. Functions as a hand mirror when activated.

Bohzoe's Brass Horn: When sounded, summons 1D4 clowns

Earring of ringing: When worn, emits a faint, high-pitch ringing noise in the wearers ears.

Bowl of controlling Milk Elementals: Nobodys managed to find the elemental plane of milk yet, but when they do, your ready.

Flaming Sword: Functions as a +1 sword, and looks FABULOUS!

Armor of Displacement: When worn, has a 50% chance to teleport itself (and only itself) 5' in a random direction to avoid the blow.

Armor of Misplacement: This ornate suit of armor...wait...where is it...I was sure I had it here a second ago....

Quiver of quivering: Constantly vibrates. Not violently, but just enough to be annoying.

Chimes of opening: Rings loudly, any time any door with in a 10' radius is opened.

Slippers of Spider climbing: +10 to all DC checks when attempting to climb a spider.

Glove of Love: Mearly having this single, gaudy, white sequin glove in your possesion will prevent any and all romatic interludes, unless it is actively worn. (Will not increase chances of romantic encounters when worn). Cursed, may not be discarded, sold or given away. No glove, no love!

Kantaki
2017-12-20, 01:04 AM
Ring of detect light.
This ring emits a faint glow when the wearer is exposed to light.

Mutazoia
2017-12-20, 06:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8wBfDtZkE

King of Nowhere
2017-12-20, 08:51 AM
snip
:smallbiggrin:man, i lolled so hard!:smallbiggrin:

Lord Torath
2017-12-20, 12:22 PM
Helm of Invisibility. This helm is completely invisible, even when worn (the wearer is unaffected). A great gift for the warrior who thinks they look cooler when you can see their face! Or who really hates the narrow field of vision one gets from a standard helm.

Ion stone: The size of an actual ion. When activated, it orbits the users head and makes him feel generally positive about himself.Provides a minor bonus against spells such as Crushing Despair.

Shield of reflection. Held, the user begins to reflect on his past deed/misdeeds.Sees frequent use in the Criminal Justice system.

Whip of cream. One flick will cover any surface with cool whip.Highly sought after by the S&M community. Also the Baker's Guild.

Bulls-eye arrow: When fired, automatically his any nearby bull right in the eye (automatic critical hit). Will miss any other target automatically (it wouldn't hit the ground if you dropped it)Useful against 50% of Minotaurs, moose, elephants (mammoths, mastodons, oiliphants, etc.), aurachs, bison, buffalo, rhinos, and hippos. Less useful against whales, who use echolocation as much as they use visible light. The basketball team from Chicago really hates this item.

Chimes of opening: Rings loudly, any time any door with in a 10' radius is opened.Makes an excellent alarm system.

Slippers of Spider climbing: +10 to all DC checks when attempting to climb a spider.In a world were Giant Spiders are a thing, this may be more useful than you'd first imagine.

Afgncaap5
2017-12-20, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't call it useless per se, but I've frequently introduced the ground-breaking, revolutionary magic item known as the "Ring of Three Ring Wearing." This artifact magically alters the flow of magical energies that usually interfered with each other before, and finally allows for a third magical ring to be worn by creatures that can typically only benefit from wearing two. The thaumaturgical implications behind its workings are nothing short of miraculous and it may well be the next stage in magical engineering and enlightened wonder working.

Still doesn't benefit the players at all, though.

One of these days I'm going to have a player who learns about the existence/properties of the Hand of Glory, and at that time I can't wait to see them move heaven and earth to try to get their hands on the Ring of Three Ring Wearing just to see how they interact. ...I honestly haven't decided if it's better to reward the ingenuity by allowing it to grant multiple ring slots, or if it's funnier to just say "Well, see, it's the ring of *three* ring wearing..."

Tinkerer
2017-12-20, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't call it useless per se, but I've frequently introduced the ground-breaking, revolutionary magic item known as the "Ring of Three Ring Wearing." This artifact magically alters the flow of magical energies that usually interfered with each other before, and finally allows for a third magical ring to be worn by creatures that can typically only benefit from wearing two. The thaumaturgical implications behind its workings are nothing short of miraculous and it may well be the next stage in magical engineering and enlightened wonder working.

I'd allow that to be sold for a small fortune, provided you can find a buyer for it.

Clistenes
2017-12-20, 03:22 PM

Mmmmm... all raise dead and resurrection spells cure diseases and neutralize poisons affecting the resurrected person... does that dagger do the same? If so, it can be very useful...

You can use it for combat training too.

If the dagger drains a level when it resurrects you, you shouldn't use to heal yourself, but you can use it to permanently remove levels from defeated enemies. Very useful to cripple evil organizations without resorting to mass murder and soul binding...

If it does nothing of that, you can still defeat an enemy without killing them by keeping then disabled at 0 hit points...

Useful as a tool for torture and interrogation too...

What kind of underwear is it? You may be able to have sex by pushing it a little to the side...

Even if you can't do that, it is still useful for sex workers of the oral persuasion...

A fine assassination tool.

Unlimited, free Detect Lies. Very useful for interrogations.

You still have total cover, and you can't be targeted by non-area damaging spells...

You still get one delicious free cookie per day. And you can probably block the lid with an iron bar to keep it open. Or turn the box upside down before taking any cookie, letting all cookies inside fall on the table.

Another fine assassination tool. If you give it to somebody, and that person uses it 30 times, there is more than 96% chance that the demons will kill that person.

Also, as somebody said, delicious free xp....

King of Nowhere
2017-12-20, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't call it useless per se, but I've frequently introduced the ground-breaking, revolutionary magic item known as the "Ring of Three Ring Wearing." This artifact magically alters the flow of magical energies that usually interfered with each other before, and finally allows for a third magical ring to be worn by creatures that can typically only benefit from wearing two.

And this ring counts as one of the three!

Guizonde
2017-12-20, 04:59 PM
my favorite useless item was pushing my limits on how badly i wanted to troll my dm of the moment. long story short, he wanted all adventurers to have a magic item. i don't know why. anyway, my build was tailor-made to ruin his day, and i frankly didn't want to overshadow players with something truly broken. so i got thinking about making my own magic item: a bubble pipe. sorry, i mean a "pipe of bubble summoning". summoned d6 bubbles for d4 rounds, iirc, was an enchanted pipe with prestidigitation cast on it. the thing cost about 3000gp, so was smack dab in the budget. the dm vetoed it as a knee-jerk reaction fearing what i could do using a bubble pipe. his thinking was "he just created a magic item within the rules. he must be up to something that will blind-side me again".

... nope, i just wanted my character to have a bubble pipe.

Calthropstu
2017-12-20, 06:13 PM
I remember being inspired by a similar thread a while ago to make the robe of nearly useless items.
Contents:
A box that when locked teleports the contents out of it and teleports the key in.
A music box that plays a dragon's roar.
50 gallons of water with no container.
A hat of invisibility... only the hat is invisible.
There were a bunch of other items but I forget.

Jay R
2017-12-20, 09:53 PM
I once used a presumed "useless" magic item to get several good magic items safely.

A party of adventurers had many items, including a useless Bag of Duplication. If you put something in the bag, you would get a useless duplicate: swords that didn't hold an edge, magic items that looked identical but weren't magic, food that tasted bad and didn't satisfy, etc.

This party was turned to stone by a bunch of cockatrices. My "paladin" heard about them, and went out to rescue them. (My character at the time was an ex-Paladin who had been turned Evil, but no other players knew it yet.)

Some time later, they woke up back in town, having been rescued by a paladin, who (of course) refused any kind of reward. But for some reason, none of their magic items worked. I understand they spent a fair amount of time trying to find out how being turned to stone would neutralize their magic items, and looking for a way to reverse the result.

Meanwhile, my ex-paladin had several new magic items. They never came looking for him, because they never realized that their real magic items had been stolen.

Braininthejar2
2017-12-20, 11:01 PM
Yea, It comes back once in a while

My favourite useless item is still the belt that conjures an illusion of pants when worn.

ImNotTrevor
2017-12-20, 11:46 PM
Wand of Create Wand:
Has 1 charge. Spend the charge to create 1 Wand of Create Wand with 1 charge. Once reaching 0 charges, a Wand of Create Wand is destroyed utterly, leaving no residue.

InvisibleBison
2017-12-21, 12:21 AM
Orb of Magic: A small, unadorned stone orb that registers as magic to detect magic and similar abilities. The orb has no other properties.

Amulet of Preemptive Dispelling: Whenever a spell targeting the wearer of this amulet is about to end, the amulet dispels the spell instead. Does not effect spells that have different effects if they are dispelled instead of ending normally.

Green Hat: When resting on someone's head, this bright green hat cannot be dyed, stained, or otherwise have its color changed by any means.

Sword of Shyness: This immensely powerful magical sword becomes completely mundane whenever it is touched by anyone.

Improperly Self-Cleaning Axe: Whenever any blood, viscera, or similar substances touch the blade of this two-handed axe, they are immediately teleported to another part of the blade.

Rod of Amnesia: Anyone who touches this slender obsidian wand immediately forgets what it does.

Mutazoia
2017-12-21, 12:34 AM
I remember being inspired by a similar thread a while ago to make the robe of nearly useless items.
Contents:
A box that when locked teleports the contents out of it and teleports the key in.
A music box that plays a dragon's roar.
50 gallons of water with no container.
A hat of invisibility... only the hat is invisible.
There were a bunch of other items but I forget.

Robe of useless things. Once per turn, the wearer can reach into a pocket and pull out a random piece of crap that is no help in any situation (such as a still moist, used kleenex, a wadded piece of parchment with the punchline to a joke, but not the joke itself. Instructions for making mud, etc)

Like that?

Calthropstu
2017-12-21, 08:15 AM
Like that?
No, all of my items were magical. I used it to buff my party wealth because they'd greatly fallen behind.

King of Nowhere
2017-12-21, 09:02 AM
Yea, It comes back once in a while

My favourite useless item is still the belt that conjures an illusion of pants when worn.

I can see an exibitionist couple using those to have sex in public...

vasilidor
2017-12-21, 04:15 PM
spoon of mud tasting: created as a joke, makes everything eaten with it taste like mud.
spontaneously disappearing clothes: also made as a joke, disappears after either a set time or when a key word is spoken.
boots of teleportation: when activated the boots teleport, leaving the person wearing them behind (has this one been done, can't remember right now).
book of book endings, contains the last page from every book or story ever written.

icefractal
2017-12-23, 03:39 AM
IMO, items that are at first glance useless but have ways to shine are more fun than totally useless ones. The latter, you laugh at once and then the party throws them away (or drops them in a BoH and forgets they exist). But stuff like the Umbrella of Invisibility? Suddenly the party cares about the weather, and will be trying to set up their plans so they attack during a rainstorm (preferably a windy/foggy enough one that the umbrella's dry spot won't be noticed). Sounds pretty entertaining.

Some items of the "flawed prototype" variety -

Boots of the Flea
Lets the user leap as high as a flea can (80 times their own height). The boots do not provide any help with landing, which is treated as a fall from the relevant distance.

Helm of Single Purpose
When this helm is put on, the wearer must state (verbally or mentally) what task they wish to accomplish before removing it. From that point, they will be immune to /all/ attempts to dissuade them, whether enchantment, fear, persuasive skills, or simple logic ("the guy you're trying to strangle just fell off a cliff, you don't have to jump after him!"). Obviously proper wording is vital. The helm can't be removed by anything short of decapitation or being in an anti-magic field; it's immune to normal dispelling.

Coat of Arms
This coat of fine mithril chain has six more sleeves beyond the normal two. The extra arms are twice as long (they have reach) and end in mithral claws. When worn, they animate and assist the wearer automatically. The controlling intelligence for the extra arms has Int 2 and doesn't understand language, although it can semi-accurately sense the wearer's emotional state. It's very proactive in "helping" and "defending" the wearer, with extremely ... varied results.

Jay R
2017-12-23, 11:40 AM
Boots of the Flea
Lets the user leap as high as a flea can (80 times their own height). The boots do not provide any help with landing, which is treated as a fall from the relevant distance.

This isn't for jumping over trees or castle walls, but it's great for jumping on to them. It would also make climbing mountains quick and easy.

Just be careful only to use them when you want to end up as high as you jump.

Lord Torath
2017-12-23, 08:04 PM
Helm of Single Purpose
When this helm is put on, the wearer must state (verbally or mentally) what task they wish to accomplish before removing it. From that point, they will be immune to /all/ attempts to dissuade them, whether enchantment, fear, persuasive skills, or simple logic ("the guy you're trying to strangle just fell off a cliff, you don't have to jump after him!"). Obviously proper wording is vital. The helm can't be removed by anything short of decapitation or being in an anti-magic field; it's immune to normal dispelling.I presume the helm can be freely removed once your stated objective has been achieved?

ImNotTrevor
2017-12-23, 10:30 PM
Ring of Detect Ring:
This gold ring turns silver whenever its wearer is wearing a ring.

Ring of Detect Magic:
This ring vibrates slightly whenever the wearer is near magical effects or items. Including the ring itself.

Helm of True Sight:
Individuals who wear this helm must succeed on a DC 40 Will Save or become crazed, muttering endlessly that existence is meaningless, that everyone is but a paper read by giants and all things are determined by giant dice rolled by malevolent deities.

Prismatic Spray:
This hairspray changes your hair to a random color.

Guizonde
2017-12-23, 10:40 PM
Helm of True Sight:
Individuals who wear this helm must succeed on a DC 40 Will Save or become crazed, muttering endlessly that existence is meaningless, that everyone is but a paper read by giants and all things are determined by giant dice rolled by malevolent deities.

Prismatic Spray:
This hairspray changes your hair to a random color.

for the first, i'd call it "helm of the fourth wall". for the second, my girlfriend would probably kick a puppy to get her hands on that thing (and, to be honest, so would i).

ImNotTrevor
2017-12-23, 11:23 PM
for the first, i'd call it "helm of the fourth wall". for the second, my girlfriend would probably kick a puppy to get her hands on that thing (and, to be honest, so would i).

The True Sight name is because rhe character SEES the world for what it TRULY is: fictitious, and a trpg.

Also True Sight implies it's not that. :P

Twizzly513
2017-12-24, 05:59 PM

Everybody's talking about the hat of truth being good at interrogations, how about this!

Clistenes
2017-12-24, 06:02 PM
Everybody's talking about the hat of truth being good at interrogations, how about this!

I already mentioned torture as one of its many uses...

Asmotherion
2017-12-24, 06:06 PM
Not useless per say, but here are a couple of "common" ones I came up with, according to Xanathar's guidlines:

Kind (requires attunement): Damage rolls with this weapon deal 1d4 less damage to a minimum of 1 damage. Sentient Weapon that can function as a secondary Spellbook, memorising it's int mod spells for the caster. The caster needs to convince the weapon to memorise spells by making a DC 15 Charisma (persuation) check against it. It will never memorise spells it deems evil (like animate dead) or offensive spells (like fireball).

Shades (requires attunement): When wearing this glasses, you see in shades of gray within 120 feet in bright light, and are blinded beyond that range. In addition, if you have the Sunlight Sensibility trait, you don't have disadvantage in bright light wile wearing these glasses. Wile in dim light or darkness, your Darkvision functions within half it's normal range unless you remove the glasses as a bonus action.

I made this one when we started playing 5e and changed systems from 3.5 as a means to troll/pull a joke on a player of mine (it was an item he got from a bad deal).

Ring of Superiority (Requires Attunement): As a reaction, you can treat a roll of 9 or lower on a Fortitude, Reflex or Will save as a 10. You also get proficiency in all 3 of those saves, and if you already had it, you get expertese.

PunsAndDragons
2017-12-24, 07:26 PM
I like the idea of minor magical items that aren't useless, but have very weak or specific uses such as a 'ring of zero emmissions' that prevents bodily gas such as burping or worse...Most of the time it would be of little use but on a first date or an important meeting with a king...you'd probably slip it on, just in case.

Braininthejar2
2017-12-24, 08:31 PM
I already mentioned torture as one of its many uses...

Even better as a loophole out of certain death prophecies.

Calthropstu
2017-12-24, 08:59 PM
The ring sense motive: You become conciously aware of why you perform any given action. (I have exhausted all the oxygen in my lungs and must take a breath...)

vasilidor
2017-12-24, 11:54 PM
the bucket of explosions: to busy exploding to be of use to anyone. any one who attempts to do anything with it takes 1d12d6 damage, type determined at random, as the explosions spill out.
pants of blinding: when worn anyone who sees these extremely gaudy pants (including the person wearing them) goes blind unless they make the appropriate save.
clock of the wrong time: this clock is always wrong. no matter where or when it is, or the person viewing it.
crystal ball of expectancy: shows the person looking into it whatever they expect to see.
to be honest, I could think of uses for each of these, mostly the crystal ball of expectancy.

Kantaki
2017-12-25, 10:09 AM
I like the idea of minor magical items that aren't useless, but have very weak or specific uses such as a 'ring of zero emmissions' that prevents bodily gas such as burping or worse...Most of the time it would be of little use but on a first date or an important meeting with a king...you'd probably slip it on, just in case.

Wouldn't that also prevent breathing out?:smallconfused:
Possibly a few other things too, but that's the most immediately fatal that comes to mind.:smallamused:

Bohandas
2018-01-07, 01:12 AM
Boots of the Flea

Boots of the Flea
Lets the user leap as high as a flea can (about 7 inches vertically)

Wouldn't that also prevent breathing out?:smallconfused:
Possibly a few other things too, but that's the most immediately fatal that comes to mind.:smallamused:

My first thought was something like that South Park episode where people continually holding farts in led to spontaneous human combustion due to a buildup of hydrogen and methane

Mister Tom
2018-01-07, 03:50 AM
These threads are indeed regulars- search for "1001" in the forum search box...