PDA

View Full Version : Contingency & Glyph of Warding questions

bloodgroove
2017-12-17, 09:28 AM
First on Contingency: As a cleric I do not have the contingency spell...Can I have someone else cast it on me and then contribute the
spell I want to go off when the contingency is met?

Glyph of Warding: My thought is to cast the spell glyph on my shield when the group takes a long rest. This would get around the movement penalty. I would upcast Aid with the highest slot I had left so it will go off after the short rest. The problem is that the casting time is one hour. So i guess I would have to make sure all the long rests are 9 hours so I can recharge all my spells. Would a high/wood elf get around this? I am currently playing a hill dwarf life cleric so I actually need the 8 hours..

Thoughts...

Vaz
2017-12-17, 10:47 AM
1. No. It is the caster who casts both Contingency and the spell, and it can only target you.
2. To get a Long Rest, you need to complete a Long Rest. If your DM believes that having a Long Rest can be gained by a Character with the Trance trait, or similar, after only 4 hours, then that's up to the DM. The wording has been ridiculously poor, but there are Sage Advice's stating that the intention is that Sleep is seperate from Long Rest, but then that means little as you still need to spend 8 hours downtime.

You will never get a consensus on this forum, because some people want to abuse the ruling, and others want to tell people that you can't abuse that ruling because they want to cherry pick which rulings you can subjectively abuse.

bloodgroove
2017-12-17, 11:10 AM
Rats on the contingency.
So if I get 9 hours total - 1 hour casting time for the glyph and then 8 hours for the long rest I should be good to go?

Vaz
2017-12-17, 11:28 AM
Seems to make sense. Although perhaps ask your DM whether you can cast the spell as part of your Light Activity. If AL, then yes, 8 hours for a long rest, and 1 hour to cast would be required.

LeonBH
2017-12-17, 12:09 PM
If you cast the glyph and move it 10ft away from its initial position, the glyph breaks. So you would have to leave your shield behind to keep the spell intact or break the glyph willingly by removing the shield.

sir_argo
2017-12-17, 01:44 PM
Contingency, "Choose a spell of 5th level or lower that you can cast, that has a casting time of 1 action, and that can target you."

Glyph of Warding is not a spell that can target you. Glyph of Warding can only be cast on a surface.

Also, as pointed out by Vaz, the spell cast by Contingency will only affect you even if the original spell could affect others.

I just wanted to add that info because it sounded like those points were being missed in Contingency.

And also, as pointed out by LeonBH, even when the glyph is placed on an object, "If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken." So you cannot carry the glyph with you away from that spot even if you cast it on your shield.

bloodgroove
2017-12-17, 05:22 PM
If you cast the glyph and move it 5ft away from its initial position, the glyph breaks. So you would have to leave your shield behind to keep the spell intact or break the glyph willingly by removing the shield.

I'm casting aid into the shield so when we finish the long rest I can cause the spell to go off and not have to burn slots I just recovered.. Hopefully we have an uneventful rest so I do not have to move the shield.

Crgaston
2017-12-17, 05:50 PM
I'm casting aid into the shield so when we finish the long rest I can cause the spell to go off and not have to burn slots I just recovered.. Hopefully we have an uneventful rest so I do not have to move the shield.

Sounds almost legit. GOW says it can target “a single creature or an area,” and Aid targets “up to 3 creatures in range,” so the way I read it, you could have the Aid spell affect one target via a glyph.

No brains
2017-12-17, 06:11 PM
Just remember that Glyph has a rather expensive material component. You should be careful that you have enough diamond dust for any use of Revivify and Greater Restoration you may have.

ThePolarBear
2017-12-17, 06:33 PM
2. To get a Long Rest, you need to complete a Long Rest. If your DM believes that having a Long Rest can be gained by a Character with the Trance trait, or similar, after only 4 hours, then that's up to the DM. The wording has been ridiculously poor, but there are Sage Advice's stating that the intention is that Sleep is seperate from Long Rest, but then that means little as you still need to spend 8 hours downtime.

This is no longer true. Since a recent errata changed how long rests are handled, it is now "official" for elves to gain the benefits of a long rest after 4 hours of trance.

Vaz
2017-12-17, 06:46 PM
You mean this one?

Long Rest (p. 186). The first sentence of the rule now reads, “A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.” In addition, you regain at least one Hit Die when you finish a long rest.

It is still questionable, as you still require a period of extended downtime 8 hours long, so it's ultimately DMs interpretation, whether the trance bypasses the 8 hour limit.

Go make another thread if you want to discuss it, ask JC while you're at it. I can't be bothered.

ThePolarBear
2017-12-17, 08:27 PM
You mean this one?

Long Rest (p. 186). The first sentence of the rule now reads, “A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.” In addition, you regain at least one Hit Die when you finish a long rest.

It is still questionable, as you still require a period of extended downtime 8 hours long, so it's ultimately DMs interpretation, whether the trance bypasses the 8 hour limit.

It is questionable, but the reference you made was to the Sage Advice, and that Sage Advice was changed to align to the errata quoted.

Go make another thread if you want to discuss it, ask JC while you're at it. I can't be bothered.

While you can't be bothered (and you can very well not reply to it) the information is still useful to the OP. I do not need to ask JC anything, thank you for your concern.