PDA

View Full Version : Arcana cleric, hexblade bladelock, or vengeance paladin (or other) for this group?

Klorox
2017-12-17, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, we’re starting a new campaign soon. Here’s what the rest of the group is playing, starting at level 1:

-celestial warlock, pact of the tome
-rogue (assassin, swashbuckler, or arcane trickster)
-hunter ranger
-moon druid
-barbarian (zealot, berserker, or bear totem)

I’m left wondering what would best fit this parties needs. I have an interesting short backstory to each of NY options.

Option 1: variant human arcana cleric. This would follow the classic build that uses shillelagh and the scag melee cantrips to be very effective in battle, and have just about everything key off of my wisdom score. He’d be similar to Chirrut Imwe (although not blind), believing so strong in magic that he trusts it to guide his every move.

Option 2: a paladin. This character would be a devout parishioner who is guided to pick up arms by his deity and a sense of vengeance after his village is attacked and the head priest, as well as a sacred magic item of the village, are stolen away.

Option 3: a hexblade bladelock. Similar to #2, he gives in to his family patron for power after the villages beloved priest is kidnapped.

I feel like the team could use a little more healing magic as well as a warrior presence. #3 is the least well suited to fill that role, but I think 1 or 2 would work well. I don’t know much about the celestial warlock though, do they help in the healing department?

I lean towards option 1 because we don’t have a full arcane caster, except for the warlock, and it’s just cool.

Option 2 is great also, because he gets access to my favorite in-combat spell, misty step.

I figure the good people of this forum are more familiar with the ins and outs of these classes than I am.

I’m open to other suggestions as well.

Thank you.

Twizzly513
2017-12-17, 11:58 AM
Celestial Warlocks get cure wounds on their expanded spell list, although they are warlocks and don't have many spell slots for it. I'd probably go with Arcana cleric, myself. I like clerics, and the moon druid will be able to soak damage while rangers also have a higher-than-average hit die. Someone with strong battlefield control I think could really tie a party like this together, and clerics are good at that; arcana clerics are even better.

mephnick
2017-12-17, 02:50 PM
I play a STR based Fighter 1/Arcana Cleric 5 and really like it. The Channel Divinity and domain list can flucuate between great and useless depending on the campaign, however. But the melee cantrips and great cleric spell list make it a blast to play.

Nidgit
2017-12-17, 02:51 PM
Seconding Arcana Cleric. The party has a ton of frontliners that a Paladin's aura could potentially benefit, but the arcana cleric contributes more overall with diverse spellcasting and better healing.

Klorox
2017-12-18, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys.

Considering the party makeup, would I be better off with a bladesinger?