PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Black Eyed Children: a small unseelie fey race

Aniikinis
2017-12-17, 01:49 PM
Black Eyed Children
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VoWUs0gS334/V9wFHfyQs6I/AAAAAAAACd0/qyPbu6KjYfQJFp4kFpBXeg0PGnNZpsCfwCLcB/s1600/14316828_1245509172172705_8785538385094587754_n.jp g
You watch as the young girl enters your campsite, something about her seeming off as she sits before the fire. You can't be sure but in the firelight it looks like her eyes are pitch black with no sclera. Suddenly you feel your body tense up as she looks at you. She pouts and you can see that you were right about her eyes, but that doesn't matter due to how it feels like a pure primal terror is pouring into you from them. "I've lost my mummy, can you help me find her?" she asks, and, somehow, you know that this isn't going to end well.

Black Eyed Children are a strange type of fey that seem to be a fairly recent occurrence, usually appearing within cities or towns and almost always after dark. They are usually found in pairs, with one being shy and the other being very persistent and confrontive.

The few accounts of them being with adventuring parties have shown them to be strange and curious, but beholden to strange laws and prone to a dark form of innocence, expecting others to be willing to do what they will and very confused or even aggravated when they do not hold to their same laws.

Physical Description: Black Eyed Children appear to be just that, young human children around 7-12 years of age with dark hair, very pale (almost deathly so) skin, and pure black eyes, no iris or sclera, just pitch black eyes. When encountered in towns they are known to wear cloaks or loose fitting clothing, disguising their forms and faces in order to keep their inhuman nature from being apparent.

Alignment: Black eyed Children are usually Evil, wishing to bring ruin and misfortune to mortals for various inscrutable reasons. There are some who reject this ideal and work for the better, albeit those are very few and far between.

Black Eyed Children
Black eyed children characters possess the following racial traits:

-2 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Con, +2 Cha
Small Fey
Speed: 25 feet
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low Light Vision, Resistance to Reality, Travel Restrictions, Unnerving gaze
Automatic Languages: Common and Aklo Bonus Languages: Any, except secret.
Favored Class: Ranger
Level adjustment: +0

Resistance to Reality (Ex): Black Eyed Children have damage resistance equal to half their hit dice that is bypassed by cold iron. In addition, Black Eyed Children gain a bonus equal to half their hit dice on saves versus the extraordinary abilities of creatures that grant saves against their effects (poison, distraction, disease, stench, etc.).

Travel Restrictions (Ex): In order to enter a place of residence that is currently inhabited by humanoids, a black eyed child must either make a will save (DC 15) every minute they are within the residence or ask for permission to enter. This effect only happens if the inhabitants of the residence are the legitimate owners/residents of the location, squatters do not count, but renters do.

Unnerving Gaze (Ex): Black eyed children have a gaze attack that causes the target to become shaken, this does not stack with other fear effects. The Will Save DC is (DC 10 + 1/2 gazing creature’s racial HD + gazing creature’s Cha modifier)

Black Eyed Children Random Starting Ages

Adulthood
10 Years

Simple
+1d2 Years

Moderate
+1d4 Years

Complex
+1d8 Years

Black Eyed Children Aging Effects

Age Groups

Middle Age
400 years

Old
800 years

Venerable
1000 years

Maximum Age
+4d100 years

Black Eyed Child Random Height and Weight

Height Modifier
Base Weight
Weight Modifiers

Male
3'5"
+1d6 inches
72 lb.
+(1d10*2) lb.

Female
3'
+1d6 Inches
70 lb.
+(1d10*2) lb.

Racial Feats

Terrific Gaze [Racial]
Your gaze does more than just unnerve others.
Prerequisites: 3 HD, Unnerving Gaze
Benefit: Your gaze attack's fear effects stack.
Special: At level 10, your gaze attack causes the frightened condition.

Moon Burn [Racial]
You may exude a form of radiation from your very core.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child
Benefit: Once per day, as a standard action, you may cause a bright light to exude from the core of your being for a split second. This light causes all creatures within 25 feet of you to immediately take a large dose of radiation. This follows the rules for normal radiation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/environmental-hazards/radiation/), counts as low amounts of radiation, and is an instantaneous effect. This ability counts as an Extraordinary Ability. Anyone who successfully saves against this ability cannot be affected by it for 72 hours.
Special: At 6th level an every six levels after, the level of radiation increases by one step (low to medium, etc.). At level 8 and every eight levels afterwards, you gain an additional use of this ability per day. The light shed is equivalent to a usage of Flash Powder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances/#TOC-Powder-Flash) but does not cause blindness.

Radiant Sickness [Racial]
You've learned to make your moon burn stick around, albeit with less of a punch.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child, Moon Burn, Level 10
Benefit: You may choose to have your moon burn last for up to 1d4 rounds per 5 character levels you have (to a maximum of 4d4 at level 20), and may deactivate it as a free action. Your moon burn no longer causes a bright flash, but you and your field of radiation glow with light equivalent to a green tinted daylight spell for the duration of your moon burn and the level of radiation is one level lower than your maximum.

Lessened Radiance [Racial]
You have learned to tone down the brightness of your flare, and to use a lower dose as well.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child, Moon Burn, Level 6
Benefit: You may choose to have the radiation of your moon burn be of a lower level of radiation than the maximum allowed. In addition, you may choose any number of creatures to be unaffected by the effect of your moon burn when you activate it, but may not change your choice for the duration of that usage. Any creatures you exclude from your moon burn effect does not light up
Special: If you have the Radiant Sickness feat, once per day you may have your glow lessen to that of a hooded lantern instead of a daylight spell.

Radiant Ambience [Epic, Racial]
The power within you can be released very easily, with little to no obvious signs.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child, Moon Burn, Lessened Radiance, Radiant Sickness, Level 25
Benefit: You gain an additional use of your moon burn ability per day and now are able to instead lessen the glow of your radiation to that of a candle no matter what the usage is.

Hypnotic Allure [Racial]
You've learned to influence others with your sight.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child, 5 HD
Benefit: Once per day, plus one per 5 HD, you may substitute the effect of your Unnerving Gaze for a Suggestion effect

Spatial Warp [Racial]
You don't seem to be in the same location as you are.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child, HD 5
Benefit: You gain a 1.25% miss chance per HD (round down, 6% at 5 HD, 25% at 20 HD).
Special: At level 15 you may use Dimension Door as a Spell-Like Ability once per encounter, plus once per racial feat you have. This usage of Dimension Door has a range of 50 feet+5 per HD

Welling Terror [Racial]
Your terror is known to stay with your victims, slowly growing over repeated attempts.
Prerequisites: Black Eyed Child
Benefit: Whenever a creature successfully saves against your fear effects, they have to make a second save to avoid taking a cumulative -1 penalty against your fear effects that lasts until you are no longer within sight of them.
Special: Creatures with immunity to fear instead gain a +8 bonus to their saves against your fear effects and are affected by this feat as though they did not have immunity to fear. If you later gain the Greater Master of Terror ability or another ability that bypasses immunity to fear, you may choose to retrain this feat for another that you qualify for.

Black Eyed Child Paragon

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Race: Black Eyed Child

Class Skills
The Black Eyed Child Paragon's class skills are Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Spot
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+2

+2
Broken Laws, Spellcasting, Welling Terror

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+3
Impossible Tracking, Cause Fear, +1 Dex

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+3
Terrific Gaze, Return to Home, +1 Dex

4th

+3

+1

+4

+4
Illusory Sibling, Scare, +2 Dex

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: You are proficient with all simple weapons and a single martial and exotic weapon of your choice.

Spellcasting: While this class does not grant spellcasting, any Black Eyed Children who take levels in this class after taking a level in a spellcasting class can count their Racial Paragon levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and getting new spell slots. However, they do not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels they did not take, nor do they add their Racial Paragon level to their character level for the purpose of other class features.

Broken Laws: While all Black Eyed Children are beholden to certain laws of the Faerie Courts, you have grown much more in tune with them. Whenever you break one of the following laws, you take a -1 to AC, and all attack, damage, skill, and saving throw rolls for every law broken. These penalties last for 1 minute per Paragon class level. For each Black eyed Child Paragon level that you take, you add a +1 to the Will Save DC of your Travel Restrictions Racial Trait.

Whenever a non-allied creature with more than 2 Int within your line of sight breaks one of the following laws that Black Eyed Children are beholden to, you gain a +1 untyped bonus to attack, AC, and damage against that creature. Additionally, if you are unable to attack or influence that creature directly you instead must make a will save (5+number of laws broken) or fall into a barbarian rage as a first level barbarian. If you fall into a barbarian rage you must make the same will save to change your target for that round to another creature. If more than one creature has broken any number of laws while you are within a rage you may change to that creature without making a will save.

If you are unable to attack or influence the creature directly without breaking one or more of the following laws, you may instead choose to mark the creature. From then on whenever the marked creature breaks one of more of the following laws you gain a cumulative +1 morale bonus against that creature when you next see them.

The laws are:

Entrance: You must allow others entrance to your dwellings, if they ask in a suitably polite way for your tastes, however if they are obviously dangerous (and not just seemingly or have a strange feel to them) you need not allow them entrance. (Obvious if you've read a few of the encounter stories of Black Eyed Children.)
Cheating: You may not cheat others out of their rightful payment or gains, but you may make unbalanced deals. (Bad bargains and card counting do not count as cheating, but hiding an Ace in your sleeve or altering the roll of the die in a game of craps does, for examples needed to clarify if needed.)
Truth: You may not lie, though you may bend the truth in any number of ways so as to facilitate getting what you need. If you do in fact lie, and not simply twist the truth, this law is broken. (Lying is a no-no, but trying to gain entrance to a house through trickery and false reasoning is fine as long as you do not lie about your intentions. Not stating your intentions is not considered lying by this rule.)
Rudeness: You may not be exceedingly rude to others, even if they are aggravating you or pushing you to your limits. If you are ruder than others must be in order to aggravate you, then this law is broken. (You cannot be a rude ****, but you can be increasingly persistent and aggressive as long as you are not rude.)
Destruction: You may not cause undue harm to any inhabited residence, though you are allowed to find and unlock entrances that may not be obvious with blockages or concealments upon them as long as the structural integrity of the residence is not harmed. (Breaking and entering is a no-no, but simply sneaking in through a hole covered by nailed plywood isn't considered breaking and entering by this law as it was a covered entrance.)

Barbarian levels stack with this class for number of rages and their effects. Additionally, whenever you enter a rage caused by a broken law, you may choose to have a usage of rage not be used up, but if you choose not to use an instance of rage you are instead fatigued for twice as long. Tireless rage bypasses this restriction. This ability works with the Spell Rage ability from the Rage Mage and all other rage-based abilities gained from class levels and/or spell effects.

Welling Terror: You gain the Welling Terror feat.

Impossible Tracking: You gain the Track feat and whenever you mark a creature with the Broken Laws feature, you may at any time, as a full-round action, learn the direction that creature is in relation to you. If you make this check for three rounds in a row you learn how far away the creature is in relation to you, and if you concentrate for an additional two rounds you learn how fast the creature is travelling if at all. If you have marked more than one creature, you may use this ability for any creature you have marked, but only one at a time.

Ability Score Increase: At levels 2 and 3 you gain a +1 untyped bonus to your Dexterity score. At level 4 You gain a +2 untyped bonus to your Dexterity score.

Cause Fear: You may cast Cause Fear as Spell-Like Ability once per day per two Hit Dice you have. If you do not have a casting stat, add your Charisma modifier to the Save DC.

Terrific Gaze: You gain the Terrific Gaze feat.

Return to Home: Whenever you have entered the residence of another being who is the rightful owner/resident of the location after being invited in, you may mark that location in your mind. Whenever you can teleport either that distance or further, you may teleport there with no failure at all.

Illusory Sibling: A number of times per HD per day, as an extended action that takes two rounds, you may create an illusion that looks like another member of your race with illusory versions of all of your gear, but may have a different style of clothing as desired. This illusion may not attack but has your AC and does not provoke a will save to disbelieve until they are successfully attacked. You may direct this illusion as a free action on your turn, and the illusion may flank any creature that has not successfully disbelieved that the sibling is an illusion. This is functionally similar to a Minor Image spell.

Scare: You may cast Scare as a Spell-Like Ability once per day per four hit dice you have. If you do not have a casting stat, add your charisma modifier to the Save DC.

Avigor
2017-12-17, 05:05 PM
First, the description strongly suggests to me they should have access to a special, terrifyingly powerful racial paragon / monster class... If not significantly more powers associated with RHD. Whatever such gets added, it should manage to qualify you for Dread Witch PrC, or at least be compatible with such a pursuit by advancing spellcasting.

Travel Restrictions: I'd reword it to make sure that only residences that have a legitimate owner who is actually living in it qualify (so just some random schmuck hiding in an abandoned house someone else owns isn't safe) and eliminate the Will save while implementing some kind of Will save against a rage effect if they're forbidden entry, but that's just me.

Resistance to Reality: I think this should include a bonus on saves vs extraordinary effects, such as poisons and such.

There should be something that gives any humanoid an automatic sense of foreboding whenever they see them, giving said humanoids a bonus on Sense Motive against them.

Er, Terrific Gaze? I'd think Terrifying Gaze myself as "terrific" doesn't normally translate in my mind to fearful... lol well the only constructive feedback is the name here, otherwise awesome.

Um, Radiant Sickness just doesn't feel right to me... I'd be more open to a level or ability drain effect, but I dunno...

Two unfinished abilities?
I'm guessing Spatial Warp, by the name, is either a teleport or a forced miss effect?
Welling Terror? Is it a Fear Aura effect, a boost to Unnerving Gaze, or what?

Aniikinis
2017-12-18, 01:26 AM
First, the description strongly suggests to me they should have access to a special, terrifyingly powerful racial paragon / monster class... If not significantly more powers associated with RHD. Whatever such gets added, it should manage to qualify you for Dread Witch PrC, or at least be compatible with such a pursuit by advancing spellcasting.

I'm thinking about doing a racial paragon class for them. When that will get done I have no clue due to a sickness I'm trying to get over. Racial Paragon is almost done, and it does qualify for the Dread Witch PrC and advance spellcasting. I'm also very tempted to create a prestige class to fill out the last levels and make them terrifically powerful. If I do in fact go for the bigger PrC, I'd love to hear suggestions on what should go in it.

Travel Restrictions: I'd reword it to make sure that only residences that have a legitimate owner who is actually living in it qualify (so just some random schmuck hiding in an abandoned house someone else owns isn't safe) and eliminate the Will save while implementing some kind of Will save against a rage effect if they're forbidden entry, but that's just me.

The first part I'll definitely add in, but I'm not so sure on the second part. I know there are many stories of them getting agitated and angry about not being allowed inside, but I'm not sure I'd add that to the base race. I'll probably add that to the paragon, honestly.

Resistance to Reality: I think this should include a bonus on saves vs extraordinary effects, such as poisons and such.

Hmm, makes sense, will add that in.

There should be something that gives any humanoid an automatic sense of foreboding whenever they see them, giving said humanoids a bonus on Sense Motive against them.

I was tempted to give them that, but I wasn't sure if it would bump them up to LA +1 or not.

Er, Terrific Gaze? I'd think Terrifying Gaze myself as "terrific" doesn't normally translate in my mind to fearful... lol well the only constructive feedback is the name here, otherwise awesome.

ter·rif·ic
/təˈrifik/
adjective
adjective: terrific

of great size, amount, or intensity.
"there was a terrific bang"
synonyms: tremendous, huge, massive, enormous, gigantic, colossal, mighty, great, prodigious, formidable, monstrous, sizable, considerable; More

informal
extremely good; excellent.
"it's been such a terrific day"
synonyms:marvelous, wonderful, sensational, outstanding, great, superb, excellent, first-rate, first-class, dazzling, out of this world, breathtaking; More

archaic
causing terror.

Origin
mid 17th century: from Latin terrificus, from terrere ‘frighten.’

Only very recently has it meant anything other than sheer terror(and even then, it's not the true definition), just like the words awful, fantastic, glamorous, and wonderful mean drastically different things even in very recent times.

Um, Radiant Sickness just doesn't feel right to me... I'd be more open to a level or ability drain effect, but I dunno...

It drains Constitution and damages strength.

Two unfinished abilities?
I'm guessing Spatial Warp, by the name, is either a teleport or a forced miss effect?
Welling Terror? Is it a Fear Aura effect, a boost to Unnerving Gaze, or what?

Spatial Warp is a forced miss effect that at a later level(like 15 or so) grants a short range dimension door effect.
Welling Terror causes those who are immune to fear effects to still be affected by yours, but with a +6 to their roll that decreases with each fear effect originating from you that they have to save against.

Avigor
2017-12-19, 04:12 PM
I was tempted to give them that, but I wasn't sure if it would bump them up to LA +1 or not.

...no, the suggestion would give them a disadvantage on Diplomacy and Bluff against humanoids by giving said humanoids a bonus on Sense Motive against the Black Eyed Children. It would gimp any arguments that they need an LA, not add to the need for one.

Only very recently has it meant anything other than sheer terror(and even then, it's not the true definition), just like the words awful, fantastic, glamorous, and wonderful mean drastically different things even in very recent times.

Remember, that is listed as the "archaic" definition, so it could easily confuse people. Doesn't make a huge difference either way so this is the last I'll comment on it.

It drains Constitution and damages strength.

The existing Radiant Sickness ability is something akin to an aura; I should've specified "as a melee touch attack" earlier. AFAIK the BEC's have never been associated with killing vast swathes of plant and animal life as such an aura would do... In fact, some kind of vampiric ability that covers their need to eat (and the paragon upgrades to include some other bonus such as temp HP or something) could easily make sense: "We need help", not specifying that the "help" they need is to devour your life essence as sustenance because they're hungry...

Welling Terror causes those who are immune to fear effects to still be affected by yours, but with a +6 to their roll that decreases with each fear effect originating from you that they have to save against.

Um, piercing immunity to fear is covered by taking the Dread Witch PrC. At that point, this becomes redundant...

Now to the current version:
Reality Revision: Remember that at least some gazes are supernatural, not extraordinary, so I wouldn't list it as an example myself.

Travel Restrictions: But what about houses that aren't in a town, such as a cabin in the woods? Current wording leaves those SOL.

Broken Laws: Barbarian Rage as a what level Barbarian? I'd also drop the starting save DC to 10 or even 5; the stories do describe them as getting frustrated, but not going berserk, at least not yet...
Truth: What about the stories that specify that they are claiming they need to use the phone? Yes I know this isn't a perfect translation but still.
You didn't add the paragon level to the uninvited entry DC I noticed... I would, myself...

Impossible Tracking: Might be worth specifying "whenever you mark a creature as part of the Broken Laws feature", so other kinds of "mark" abilities don't get confused.

Ability Score Increase: There is a slight text vs table dissonance here, as the text doesn't specify which ability score while the table does. Might want to correct that.

Return to Home: Might be worth making this work only when you are invited in. That way, sneaking in without permission doesn't give you a means of perfect teleportation in the future. I'm also tempted to suggest there should be a way to undo said invitation later on, but that should also exist for vampires and since AFAIK it doesn't that's okay.

Illusory Sibling: Might be worth specifying that they can have different styles as desired, such as a sister wearing a dress instead of trousers, or vice versa.

Aniikinis
2017-12-20, 09:24 AM
...no, the suggestion would give them a disadvantage on Diplomacy and Bluff against humanoids by giving said humanoids a bonus on Sense Motive against the Black Eyed Children. It would gimp any arguments that they need an LA, not add to the need for one.

Ohhh, okay, I was thinking a form of fear aura.

Remember, that is listed as the "archaic" definition, so it could easily confuse people. Doesn't make a huge difference either way so this is the last I'll comment on it.

True, but root words and all. Yeah, let's just drop this.

The existing Radiant Sickness ability is something akin to an aura; I should've specified "as a melee touch attack" earlier. AFAIK the BEC's have never been associated with killing vast swathes of plant and animal life as such an aura would do... In fact, some kind of vampiric ability that covers their need to eat (and the paragon upgrades to include some other bonus such as temp HP or something) could easily make sense: "We need help", not specifying that the "help" they need is to devour your life essence as sustenance because they're hungry...

You're right in that they don't kill swathes of life, but they have been associated with Moonburn syndrome. The same syndrome associated with high doses of radiation from up close encounters with flying saucers and the like.

Um, piercing immunity to fear is covered by taking the Dread Witch PrC. At that point, this becomes redundant...

What if the player doesn't want to take the Dread Witch, but does want his fear abilities to last until late game or in an undead/immunity heavy game?

Now to the current version:
Reality Revision: Remember that at least some gazes are supernatural, not extraordinary, so I wouldn't list it as an example myself.

Yeah, true, I'll edit that.

Travel Restrictions: But what about houses that aren't in a town, such as a cabin in the woods? Current wording leaves those SOL.

Good point, will modify accordingly.

Broken Laws: Barbarian Rage as a what level Barbarian? I'd also drop the starting save DC to 10 or even 5; the stories do describe them as getting frustrated, but not going berserk, at least not yet...

1st level Barbie, I should have noted that and I can't remember my reasoning for putting it at 15, honestly.

Truth: What about the stories that specify that they are claiming they need to use the phone? Yes I know this isn't a perfect translation but still.

They might need to use the phone, but only as a side thing for what they really want, entrance inside, which is why other stories also have them asking to use the bathroom when that is shut down.

You didn't add the paragon level to the uninvited entry DC I noticed... I would, myself...

Didn't think about that.

Impossible Tracking: Might be worth specifying "whenever you mark a creature as part of the Broken Laws feature", so other kinds of "mark" abilities don't get confused.

Good point, RAW vs RAI.

Ability Score Increase: There is a slight text vs table dissonance here, as the text doesn't specify which ability score while the table does. Might want to correct that.

Will do asap.

Return to Home: Might be worth making this work only when you are invited in. That way, sneaking in without permission doesn't give you a means of perfect teleportation in the future. I'm also tempted to suggest there should be a way to undo said invitation later on, but that should also exist for vampires and since AFAIK it doesn't that's okay.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't put that in.

Illusory Sibling: Might be worth specifying that they can have different styles as desired, such as a sister wearing a dress instead of trousers, or vice versa.

True, that'd fit more thematically.

nonsi
2017-12-21, 12:50 AM
Just want to say that this is beautiful. Straight out of a horror film :smallbiggrin:

Very well done :smallcool:

I'll be referencing it in my overhaul project when I get to it :smallsmile:

Avigor
2017-12-21, 01:58 AM
You're right in that they don't kill swathes of life, but they have been associated with Moonburn syndrome. The same syndrome associated with high doses of radiation from up close encounters with flying saucers and the like.

O_o I hadn't heard that before... wowza...

What if the player doesn't want to take the Dread Witch, but does want his fear abilities to last until late game or in an undead/immunity heavy game?

Greater Master of Terror (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, the increased difficulty of all save DCs against all spells you cast with the fear description increases from +1 to +2. In addition, your fear spells are now so potent that they can even affect individuals normally immune to fear, such as paladins, although the subject still gains a saving throw to resist the spell's effect. Only a target whose HD exceed your caster level by 4 or more is immune to your mastery of terror. For instance, if you are a sorcerer 7/dread witch 4 (overall caster level 10), a paladin of 14th level or higher is immune to your fear spells.
Emphasis mine. It doesn't even require the victim gain a +8 bonus (even if that does eventually drain away), albeit it does give an HD limit (doesn't work on HD 4+ above your CL) instead.

Also, an idea I previously forgot to mention (as many races have Alignment notes): Perhaps mention that they are commonly Evil, seeking to satisfy sadistic desires against mortals?

Might be worth adding into the Broken Rules that it is also expressly compatible with the Spell Rage of a Rage Mage. For some reason, the idea of a BEC Rage Mage just makes me grin.

A few minor nitpicks I just noticed and figure I might as well list:
You accidentally capitalized the m in the word SMall in the racial traits, Resistance to Reality has an extra comma floating in the middle of nowhere in the list of examples, the note about the barbarian rage level in the second paragraph of Broken Laws doesn't need the word "of", and the second sentence of the third paragraph of Broken Laws might make more sense if it read "From then on whenever the marked creature breaks..." instead of "From then on whenever the cause of the mark breaks..."

Aniikinis
2017-12-21, 09:01 AM
Just want to say that this is beautiful. Straight out of a horror film :smallbiggrin:

Very well done :smallcool:

I'll be referencing it in my overhaul project when I get to it :smallsmile:

danke schoen. :smallbiggrin:

O_o I hadn't heard that before... wowza...

Yeah, another reason not to let them in.

Emphasis mine. It doesn't even require the victim gain a +8 bonus (even if that does eventually drain away), albeit it does give an HD limit (doesn't work on HD 4+ above your CL) instead.

I'm aware of that, I meant if the character doesn't want to enter the Dread Witch PrC. I've added a line that say that if you later gain that ability you may retrain that feat.

Also, an idea I previously forgot to mention (as many races have Alignment notes): Perhaps mention that they are commonly Evil, seeking to satisfy sadistic desires against mortals?

True, I really should add that in.

Might be worth adding into the Broken Rules that it is also expressly compatible with the Spell Rage of a Rage Mage. For some reason, the idea of a BEC Rage Mage just makes me grin.

I forgot about the Rage Mage. That actually would be pretty funny.

A few minor nitpicks I just noticed and figure I might as well list:
You accidentally capitalized the m in the word SMall in the racial traits, Resistance to Reality has an extra comma floating in the middle of nowhere in the list of examples, the note about the barbarian rage level in the second paragraph of Broken Laws doesn't need the word "of", and the second sentence of the third paragraph of Broken Laws might make more sense if it read "From then on whenever the marked creature breaks..." instead of "From then on whenever the cause of the mark breaks..."

Will fix them asap and yeah, that would read better.

Avigor
2017-12-21, 11:10 AM
Retrain is Paragon Only?

You forgot to swap "Child of Ozoi" with "Black Eyed Children" on a couple of the new tables. Surprised I completely forgot about height, weight, and age... lol

Aniikinis
2017-12-21, 11:39 AM
Retrain is Paragon Only?

Ahh crap, put it in the wrong area...

You forgot to swap "Child of Ozoi" with "Black Eyed Children" on a couple of the new tables. Surprised I completely forgot about height, weight, and age... lol

Yeah, I forget about it a lot too.

nonsi
2017-12-21, 03:43 PM
What is "Alko"?

Aniikinis
2017-12-22, 09:02 AM
What is "Alko"?

The language of Alkaline-based earth elementals? :smalltongue:

I swear, I have had more spelling mistakes on this race than on others I've done.

nonsi
2017-12-22, 09:26 AM
Just noticed that there's one thing missing for the horror film angle: feral transformation..... claws, bite, venomous spit etc.

Aniikinis
2017-12-22, 10:05 AM
Just noticed that there's one thing missing for the horror film angle: feral transformation..... claws, bite, venomous spit etc.

To be fair, they're not from a horror film. They're based off of a form of fey/urban legend/alien/whatever that's been sighted since the 80s-90s. (https://www.thoughtco.com/black-eyed-kids-horror-or-hoax-2594476)

I'd be glad to create a form horror movie race though, it'd be either highly mutable and subject to different appearances from different people or have a list of features to choose from.

nonsi
2017-12-22, 10:31 AM
To be fair, they're not from a horror film. They're based off of a form of fey/urban legend/alien/whatever that's been sighted since the 80s-90s. (https://www.thoughtco.com/black-eyed-kids-horror-or-hoax-2594476)

I'd be glad to create a form horror movie race though, it'd be either highly mutable and subject to different appearances from different people or have a list of features to choose from.

Could be nice, but I don't see how you could top the combination of [Broken Laws + Spatial Warp + Impossible Tracking + Return to Home].
That's the stuff that "Otherworldly home invader" theme is made of. So far, that's the only set of mechanics I've encountered that could explain why those horrors from the world beyond get scarier and more powerful as time goes by (in a matter of days... and you just can't get rid of them until you've eliminated them altogether).

Aniikinis
2017-12-22, 10:38 AM
Could be nice, but I don't see how you could top the combination of [Broken Laws + Spatial Warp + Impossible Tracking + Return to Home].
That's the stuff that "Otherworldly home invader" theme is made of. So far, that's the only set of mechanics I've encountered that could explain why those horrors from the world beyond get scarier and more powerful as time goes by (in a matter of days... and you just can't get rid of them until you've eliminated them altogether).

Good point, also about the Feral transformation: Alter Self. They are fey and there are quite a few terrifying fey creatures out there, as seen here (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2811.msg47785#msg47785)

nonsi
2017-12-22, 11:25 AM
Good point, also about the Feral transformation: Alter Self. They are fey and there are quite a few terrifying fey creatures out there, as seen here (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2811.msg47785#msg47785)

I know of all those fey (to various degrees). AFAIK, none of them can role the angle I was talking about, that's why I'd suggested feats that would allow a Black Eyed Child to develop some natural weapons (maybe radiation damage that's delivered by claw attacks instead of aura, bite-deliverable parasite/disease, poison/acid spit, bone chilling scream, ectoplasmic tentacles, mirror trapping etc).

Aniikinis
2017-12-22, 12:17 PM
I know of all those fey (to various degrees). AFAIK, none of them can role the angle I was talking about, that's why I'd suggested feats that would allow a Black Eyed Child to develop some natural weapons (maybe radiation damage that's delivered by claw attacks instead of aura, bite-deliverable parasite/disease, poison/acid spit, bone chilling scream, ectoplasmic tentacles, mirror trapping etc).

True, perhaps I might create a Horror Monster class with access to stuff like that, that explicitly stacks with monster class levels and racial paragon levels for class features and abilities.

nonsi
2017-12-22, 12:29 PM
True, perhaps I might create a Horror Monster class with access to stuff like that, that explicitly stacks with monster class levels and racial paragon levels for class features and abilities.

If you mean a Horror Monster class for the Black Eyed Child, then color me extremely interested :smallsmile:

Aniikinis
2017-12-22, 01:02 PM
If you mean a Horror Monster class for the Black Eyed Child, then color me extremely interested :smallsmile:

It wouldn't be just for the BEC, but it would be able to be entered at level 1 or 2 at the earliest for them. Needing innate fear ability (or fear spells) and non-humanoid typing (or one of a few subtypes such as shapechanger or evil) as two requirements. It would give various tricks and abilities focusing on taking advantage of fear effects and would give the chance to grab natural attacks, a transformation, and possibly one or more templates.

Avigor
2017-12-22, 03:05 PM

Might I suggest something akin to manifest nightmare, retooled to function closer to disguise self or shapechange? That's basically Pennywise right there, just need an ability to feed on fear.

nonsi
2017-12-22, 11:59 PM
Might I suggest something akin to manifest nightmare, retooled to function closer to disguise self or shapechange? That's basically Pennywise right there, just need an ability to feed on fear.

Feed on fear is good. Very few of those around, if any.

Aniikinis
2017-12-23, 11:20 AM

Gonna go with the list of features, with that being one of them.

First level ability would be the ability to not require any food for the day if you've been within 30 feet of a shaken enemy.

How long do you think the class should probably be? I was thinking maybe 10 levels.

Avigor
2017-12-23, 12:18 PM
Gonna go with the list of features, with that being one of them.

First level ability would be the ability to not require any food for the day if you've been within 30 feet of a shaken enemy.

How long do you think the class should probably be? I was thinking maybe 10 levels.

Depends on how many abilities you can come up with. If they get to choose from a list as they level (the first few similar examples that come to mind that already exist are Loremaster, Paragnostic Apostle, and Dark Scholar), then it depends on how many abilities they should be allowed to choose.

Aniikinis
2017-12-23, 12:57 PM
Depends on how many abilities you can come up with. If they get to choose from a list as they level (the first few similar examples that come to mind that already exist are Loremaster, Paragnostic Apostle, and Dark Scholar), then it depends on how many abilities they should be allowed to choose.

True, I'm probably going to go back and look through my horror movie collection for ideas. I think I'll make it a 10 level class that gives 6 abilities(1st level and every even level), with various other perks and and an additional "capstone" ability at 10th level. Some of the abilities won't be true horror movie abilities

Such ideas for capstones include (and their inspirations):

Replacement Immortality (Jeepers Creepers)
Selective Revival (Jason Voorhees)
Nightmare Prowler (Freddy Kreuger)
Broodmother/sire (Alien Queen, mostly, but any minion spawner suffices)
Unspeakable Name (Various ones but including Volt-de-Morde and Fastur)
Hellmouth (Guess :smalltongue:)
Bound But Free (Pinhead and the Cenobites)
Memetic Mutation (Ghostface)
True Nightmarish Visage (Pennywise, requires Nightmarish Visage)
Unfinishable Name(candleja

Bohandas
2017-12-25, 12:15 AM
I keep misreading this thread title as "The Black Eyed Peas"

Aniikinis
2017-12-25, 04:53 AM
I keep misreading this thread title as "The Black Eyed Peas"

Black Eyed Children All-Bard-Party called that. That's what I'm putting into my next campaign. Thank you for the idea, why didn't I think of that.

nonsi
2018-01-06, 01:30 AM
Just noticed that Radiant Sickness feat is broken as hell.
You should change the effect's duration to instantaneous.

Aniikinis
2018-01-06, 09:09 AM
Just noticed that Radiant Sickness feat is broken as hell.
You should change the effect's duration to instantaneous.

I changed the wording a bit and toned down the escalation and additional uses, but why make it instantaneous?

nonsi
2018-01-06, 11:50 AM
I changed the wording a bit and toned down the escalation and additional uses, but why make it instantaneous?

Assuming our darling child is 6th level and has perfected her stealth (via skills, abilities and gear) . . . . .
Picture this:
1. You spot an enemy's camp.
2. Ole' kiddo infiltrates the camp.
3. Ole' kiddo "flares up".
4. Enemies are dead.

Explanation:
Unless noted otherwise regarding the source, radiation doesn't emit illumination, smell or sound - it is completely undetectable by the regular five senses.
Nothing in the feat's description says otherwise . . . and on top of that, you've added "You may choose any number of creatures to be unaffected by this effect whenever you activate it".
You'd simply be able to dissolve most types of enemies single handed at close range as levels accumulate (eventually (level 12 and on) even at regular encounters).
And like that's not enough, it's an (Ex) ability.
That's just about the best feat I've ever heard of - anywhere. Where do I sign up? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Aniikinis
2018-01-06, 12:31 PM
Assuming our darling child is 6th level and has perfected her stealth (via skills, abilities and gear) . . . . .
Picture this:
1. You spot an enemy's camp.
2. Ole' kiddo infiltrates the camp.
3. Ole' kiddo "flares up".
4. Enemies are dead.

Explanation:
Unless noted otherwise regarding the source, radiation doesn't emit illumination, smell or sound - it is completely undetectable by the regular five senses.
Nothing in the feat's description says otherwise . . . and on top of that, you've added "You may choose any number of creatures to be unaffected by this effect whenever you activate it".
You'd simply be able to dissolve most types of enemies single handed at close range as levels accumulate (eventually (level 12 and on) even at regular encounters).
And like that's not enough, it's an (Ex) ability.
That's just about the best feat I've ever heard of - anywhere. Where do I sign up? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Good point... Does my addition of the "any enemy that saves against this ability becomes immune to its effects for 24 hours" clause help in any way?

nonsi
2018-01-06, 12:50 PM
Good point... Does my addition of the "any enemy that saves against this ability becomes immune to its effects for 24 hours" clause help in any way?

1. I don't like it when the rules are bent to accommodate the benefits of a specific race/class/character (haven't encountered a clause that says that radiation could work like that).
2. It helps partially, but you still have the problem of the character making a significant attack w/o any notice and w/o the other side being able to detect the problem or retaliate.
3. Opponents that don't make the save are exposed to repeated initial damage - meaning that bad saves make this ability devastating real fast (while you could pretend to be cowering in the corner of the room while you cook them to death).

Aniikinis
2018-01-06, 01:35 PM
1. I don't like it when the rules are bent to accommodate the benefits of a specific race/class/character (haven't encountered a clause that says that radiation could work like that).
2. It helps partially, but you still have the problem of the character making a significant attack w/o any notice and w/o the other side being able to detect the problem or retaliate.
3. Opponents that don't make the save are exposed to repeated initial damage - meaning that bad saves make this ability devastating real fast (while you could pretend to be cowering in the corner of the room while you cook them to death).

Good points, will make an additional feat that allows for the current ability at a much lower radiation level that can be taken at a high level and will make the current feat instantaneous when I get off work.

Aniikinis
2018-01-27, 08:58 AM
Wow, after almost exactly 21 days, I finally had the time to modify the feat. I also added two new racial feats that go along with it.

nonsi
2018-01-27, 04:31 PM
Wow, after almost exactly 21 days, I finally had the time to modify the feat. I also added two new racial feats that go along with it.

Moon Burn is fine.

1. Seems like you need a different fluff text for Radiant Sickness.
2. Radiant Sickness would be OK if the illumination had covered the entire AoE, and the illumination should have an odd color (phosphorous green or radiant violet).
3. I think that the ability to exclude creatures should at the very least require another feat, and should have a limit (say Cha-bonus + HD/6) on how many creatures may be excluded simultaneously.

Sorry if it seems like I don't like what you're doing here. I really do, but the way you wrote things, they're too easy to abuse.

Aniikinis
2018-01-27, 09:45 PM
Moon Burn is fine.

1. Seems like you need a different fluff text for Radiant Sickness.
2. Radiant Sickness would be OK if the illumination had covered the entire AoE, and the illumination should have an odd color (phosphorous green or radiant violet).
3. I think that the ability to exclude creatures should at the very least require another feat, and should have a limit (say Cha-bonus + HD/6) on how many creatures may be excluded simultaneously.

Sorry if it seems like I don't like what you're doing here. I really do, but the way you wrote things, they're too easy to abuse.

Yeah, I was tired and didn't change the fluff text. I didn't think about that but it would be better. How about adding that to Lessened Radiance in order to give it a little more use?

Nah, it's cool, I completely understand where you're coming from.

nonsi
2018-01-27, 11:33 PM
How about adding that to Lessened Radiance in order to give it a little more use?

I can't imagine the tactical benefits of Lessened Radiance at the moment. Anyway, you could add the ability to exclude to whatever feat that's not particularly powerful.
Instead of reduced illumination, I'd make it evident that excluded creatures are not illuminated, on the account that such a powerful ability should not also be deceptive.

Aniikinis
2018-01-28, 07:22 AM
I can't imagine the tactical benefits of Lessened Radiance at the moment. Anyway, you could add the ability to exclude to whatever feat that's not particularly powerful.

I'll add it to Lessened Radiance. It's not particularly useful unless you take Radiant Sickness, then it can be used more for covert operations.

Instead of reduced illumination, I'd make it evident that excluded creatures are not illuminated, on the account that such a powerful ability should not also be deceptive.

Hmm, I will add that in, but I think I'll keep the ability to decrease the luminosity but I will bump up the light level produced (torch -> daylight, candle to hooded lantern). I'm also going to change Radiant Sickness so that the area use of moon burn is used at a lower radiation level than the flash usage.

That way it's not only less powerful but you can choose "Uranium Fuel Rod Container" instead of "Atom Bomb".