PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC Follower

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-17, 02:49 PM
So my friends want me to DM them, but given the small size of our group they want a NPC to join their party. One is playing a Cleric of the Forge domain and the other is playing a Lore Bard as far as i am aware, the game is at level 5.

Now, the NPC follower has been perplexing for me to build. Clearly with the party make up they do not need a healer, the cleric is the tank and the bard is the skill monkey, so naturally they need a damage dealer. I was thinking of giving them a Sorcerer or Wizard, but I would then have to fumble with spells. Everything else seems to be martial classed. Multiclass is welcome as well to nerf the follower a bit.

JNAProductions
2017-12-17, 02:53 PM
Maybe a Barbarian? Or a Fighter?

mephnick
2017-12-17, 02:55 PM
Just give them a Battlemaster Archer. Stands in the back, adds to their characters by providing proned/disarmed enemies or rallying, doesn't steal the spotlight, does lots of damage, easy to run as a second thought. Done.

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-17, 03:00 PM
Barbarian could work. We are using the Tal'Dorei Campaign setting (I am a fan of CR and trying to get the other two into it) And it does have a subclass for what is a walking Siege engine.

Battlemaster archer has sadly been done to death for us.

JNAProductions
2017-12-17, 03:02 PM
Also, consider letting the players run the NPC during combat. You'd obviously have veto power over what they will and won't do, but it can make your job easier and the players more engaged.

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-17, 03:06 PM
Also, consider letting the players run the NPC during combat. You'd obviously have veto power over what they will and won't do, but it can make your job easier and the players more engaged.

So like, they control the NPCs actions and such in combat, but I roleplay them and control them outside of combat?

JNAProductions
2017-12-17, 03:07 PM
So like, they control the NPCs actions and such in combat, but I roleplay them and control them outside of combat?

Yes. That's exactly it.

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-17, 03:09 PM
That does make me feel better about giving them a nuker like a wizard or a Sorcerer....though the lack of anyone having an extra attack could hinder the party.

Asmotherion
2017-12-17, 04:34 PM
Bit of advice: Be careful not to make a Spotlight Stealer!

A spotlight Stealer is an NPC who follows the Group and feels to the group like the "DM's PC. There is no problem with that till here. The problem starts if said PC gets more "Spotligh" than the actual PCs.

You are the DM, and you are in ultimate control of everything. Being the main damage dealer will make your players feel like you're making a story for your character, and they're just hearing it. Make your Character more of a Buffer perhaps? Or a Spy?

A very effective Character for this purpose is the Oath of Redemption Paladin; There to recaive Damage, but not Deal any. Or an Abjurer Wizard.

Don't use characters who Activelly attack, instead focus on making a Diferance without the players realising you played a significant role, and be the "Deus Ex Machina" the DM wants to have in the Party from time to time. You are playing a God; If you influence things too directly, things will get boring.

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-17, 04:43 PM
Bit of advice: Be careful not to make a Spotlight Stealer!

I was going to give control of the NPC to the players during combat, either letting the one that rolled the higher initiative get it or something along those lines, while I just roleplayed them and controlled them outside of combat, so they feel as if they have an actual party member and not just some pack mule that can happen to fight.

Question is on Class. I was thinking of giving them a Gloom Stalker Ranger, then giving him levels in either Arcane Archer or Rogue later on. A Wizard does sound good too, since the players will be controlling them..though that means spells will be picked by either me or the players