PDA

View Full Version : Urban Manhunt games

richardj
2017-12-17, 06:39 PM
I'd really like to run a game based around an urban manhunt. The players would be a team hunting someone down in a city (with a post-apocalyptic flavour, but that's beside the point) and I'd really like them to succeed.
I don't know of any published RPGs based on this idea, and I'm really not familiar with any pop culture with this idea (TV or films etc) so I'm not really sure how I'd run it. Does anyone have experience DM'ing a game like this?

It'd be a spinoff of a board game we played together, where the 2 players would be playing at least 2 player characters hunting down a character who betrayed them in the past. Very emotionally invested. I'd like for it to be a one-shot all-day game session where they start off arriving in the city, and finish with capturing or killing the traitor.

Can anybody recommend a system to use for this, and/or some TV shows or movies or books to digest to make it a better game?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-17, 06:43 PM
One of the Gumshoe games, maybe? They're supposedly great for investigation type stuff, though I wasn't terribly impressed by my read of Trail of Cthulu. Otherwise, [standard questions about rules complexity/amount of narrative mechanics/combat-vs-noncombat emphasis/lethality/level of magic]?

richardj
2017-12-18, 11:35 AM
[standard questions about rules complexity/amount of narrative mechanics/combat-vs-noncombat emphasis/lethality/level of magic]?

Oh, right, sorry... :smallredface:

I'd like it to have quite simple-to-grasp rules that don't take ages to work out, so more of a narrative investigation/chase type game but with the possibility for combat situations. However, the players should have a good chance of surviving those combats.
The setting would be a mundane world, much like our own but ravaged by disease (and the typical military responses to said disease). Possibly some still-extant virus-zombies lurking around.