PDA

View Full Version : Are there any magic items that let you permanently enslave low hd outsiders?

magicalmagicman
2017-12-17, 09:03 PM
Something like at-will lesser geas or Rod of Construct Control for outsiders or something.

A scroll of Necrotic Tumor is an obvious solution but are there any lower level scroll combos that lead to permanent enslavement?

Boggartbae
2017-12-18, 03:32 AM
The Fanatics Collar from Book of Vile Darkness does this, but you would need to first dominate the outsider in order to get it to wear the collar and establish initial control.

the Collar of Obedience from Pathfinder gives a large penalty to will saves against mind affecting effects

Depending on what you want to use the outsider for, you could always call it next to a ghoul glyph, coup de grace it, and then animate it as a zombie. Or you can use create undead to give it some kind of template, and then control it with the command undead spell. This way it retains its abilities.

Bronk
2017-12-18, 07:47 AM
There are the ‘enslavement’ master/slave set of rings from ‘Underdark’.

noob
2017-12-18, 07:58 AM
Spam Hypnotism repetitively with the request "obey me forever"?
There is a magic item who have the effect of hypnotism without the hd cap.
And if you like cheese you can give the outsider equipment that inflicts negative levels for Hypnotizing it easily.

Inevitability
2017-12-18, 03:43 PM
Diplomacy buffs a la Guidance of the Avatar?

magicalmagicman
2017-12-18, 03:46 PM
The Fanatics Collar from Book of Vile Darkness does this, but you would need to first dominate the outsider in order to get it to wear the collar and establish initial control.

Awesome except CL 17 to create XD. But yeah this definitely works. Lesser Geas should be sufficient to make it wear the collar and choose you as its master. Good lategame option, not viable early game (I'm looking at level 7!) but yeah i will definitely use this for higher levels.

Depending on what you want to use the outsider for, you could always call it next to a ghoul glyph, coup de grace it, and then animate it as a zombie. Or you can use create undead to give it some kind of template, and then control it with the command undead spell. This way it retains its abilities.

Zombies, skeletons, and created undead lose all of the original creature's special qualities, attacks, and abilities, which defeats the whole purpose of this.

There are the ‘enslavement’ master/slave set of rings from ‘Underdark’.

Almost... almost...
It applies dominate PERSON so it fails on outsiders. So close...

Spam Hypnotism repetitively with the request "obey me forever"?
There is a magic item who have the effect of hypnotism without the hd cap.
And if you like cheese you can give the outsider equipment that inflicts negative levels for Hypnotizing it easily.

WHAT IS THIS ITEM? It seems like I can spam hypnotism like you said, or I can just use hypnotism as a +2 to attitude and get them to fanatic by also using charm spells, though that would require me to find an item that gives me at-will charm monster.

Diplomacy buffs a la Guidance of the Avatar?

Diplomacy is iffy, so I'd like to stay away from that (despite what I said above lol)

Boggartbae
2017-12-18, 03:55 PM
Zombies, skeletons, and created undead lose all of the original creature's special qualities, attacks, and abilities, which defeats the whole purpose of this.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?145348-3-5-Create-Animate-Undead-Unlisted-Monsters) talks about variant undead you can make with create undead. One of which is using the spell to apply the bone creature and corpse creature templates (also from BoVD) which allows the creature to retain it's abilities. They're harder to control than mindless undead, but easier to control than alive creatures. Create undead isn't available until caster level 11th, but you should be able to get a scroll.

Deophaun
2017-12-18, 04:06 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?145348-3-5-Create-Animate-Undead-Unlisted-Monsters) talks about variant undead you can make with create undead. One of which is using the spell to apply the bone creature and corpse creature templates (also from BoVD) which allows the creature to retain it's abilities. They're harder to control than mindless undead, but easier to control than alive creatures. Create undead isn't available until caster level 11th, but you should be able to get a scroll.
Yup. My favorite target for turning into a corpse creature is a bar-lgura; you get a permanent, loyal, invisible greater teleport monkey (abduction is a five star minion ability), and they're relative loners so no other demon is likely going to go looking for them or care that you turned one into a meat puppet.

Dragolord
2017-12-18, 05:13 PM
WHAT IS THIS ITEM? It seems like I can spam hypnotism like you said, or I can just use hypnotism as a +2 to attitude and get them to fanatic by also using charm spells, though that would require me to find an item that gives me at-will charm monster.

I think that he just means items of an opposing alignment. Force an Inevitable to pick up a pair of Anarchic daggers, for example, and it'll gain two negative levels until it puts them down.

magicalmagicman
2017-12-18, 09:37 PM
I think that he just means items of an opposing alignment. Force an Inevitable to pick up a pair of Anarchic daggers, for example, and it'll gain two negative levels until it puts them down.

I was asking about the at-will hypnotism magic item, not negative levels.

RoboEmperor
2017-12-19, 12:56 AM
Eternal Wands. It seems like you plan on using lesser planar binding so...

Demonologist (BoVD)
Level 3 Spells
Lesser Planar Binding
Dimensional Anchor

Level 2 Spells
Magic Circle Against Good/Evil

Bard
Level 3 spells
Lesser Geas

4 eternal wands and you got yourself infinite lesser planar bindings. As an artificer you can craft these items at levels 3 and 5, which means you are limited solely by wealth.

Demonologists are 3.0 so it's iffy, but eternal wands of lesser geas is not. It is core. There's your at-will lesser geas.

noob
2017-12-19, 02:17 AM
I was asking about the at-will hypnotism magic item, not negative levels.

There is no at will hypnotism item.
However there is an item who can do the effect of hypnotism without the hd cap(but the save is easy).
Babbling Wheel (http://kahdnd.pbworks.com/w/page/30148354/Babbling%20Wheel)
It is in savage species.
But you can not spam it on one target if he fails the save at each time(which will probably not happen)

magicalmagicman
2017-12-19, 03:35 AM
Eternal Wands. It seems like you plan on using lesser planar binding so...

Demonologist (BoVD)
Level 3 Spells
Lesser Planar Binding
Dimensional Anchor

Level 2 Spells
Magic Circle Against Good/Evil

Bard
Level 3 spells
Lesser Geas

4 eternal wands and you got yourself infinite lesser planar bindings. As an artificer you can craft these items at levels 3 and 5, which means you are limited solely by wealth.

Demonologists are 3.0 so it's iffy, but eternal wands of lesser geas is not. It is core. There's your at-will lesser geas.

Nice. Very nice. Eternal Wand of Lesser Geas is just what I was looking for. I keep forgetting you can shop around classes for lower spell level of the same spells.

Ok so this gets me everything I want at level 7. Now I'm getting a bit greedier. Artificers get craft wand at 7, but craft wondrous items at 3, so an enslavement wondrous item would be awesome.

Oh and you forgot that artificers can't craft wands until 7, unless artificers can grab the feat at 6, which i doubt because I don't think artificers have caster level so they can't qualify for things that require caster level.

noob
2017-12-19, 06:40 AM
The babbling wheel can do that if your gm does not forbids hypnosis stacking and that you have ways to make the outsiders fail their saves.(such as mind fog or just that feat that made dcs of your items be calculated according to your stats)

ShurikVch
2017-12-19, 06:43 AM
Are there any magic items that let you permanently enslave low hd outsiders?Well, scroll of Monstrous Thrall was able to do it...
Until the stinky nerf in the Spell Compendium!
Nowadays, even the 6th-level Mineralize Warrior is a better minion maker than the 9th-level Monstrous Thrall! :smallmad:

Bronk
2017-12-19, 09:17 AM
Almost... almost...
It applies dominate PERSON so it fails on outsiders. So close...

Hmm, good catch. You'll need to change it's type to humanoid for it to work (Force it to polymorph itself? PAO?), but after that, it'll work continuously as long as it isn't hit with a successful dispel magic or enter an antimagic field. In that case, you'd need to change their type again to reinstate the effect, but as a cursed ring, at least they wouldn't be able to take it off easily in the meantime.

Thurbane
2017-12-19, 08:31 PM
Iron Flask (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ironFlask), but not permanently (1 hour at a time).

The Iron Flask of Tuerny the Merciless (A&EG p.150): similar to above, but an artifact and more powerful and dangerous to use.