PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing Rest Healing

Pex
2017-12-17, 11:17 PM
When a multiclass character spends HD to heal on a short rest, which die do they use? For example, does a Sorcadin roll a d10 or a d6? Does it matter how many levels of each class the character has? If different dice are used how is it determined which gets spent first? If different dice are used how is it determined which gets recovered first on a long rest?

Varlon
2017-12-17, 11:21 PM
Pretty sure you just pick which ones you want to use, and which ones to get back.

Kane0
2017-12-17, 11:28 PM
Just choose.

#Razorofoccam

Malifice
2017-12-17, 11:45 PM
When a multiclass character spends HD to heal on a short rest, which die do they use? For example, does a Sorcadin roll a d10 or a d6?

Whichever ones you want to use.

Pick a die. Roll it. If you still need healing, repeat.

You get back half your level in expended hit die on a long rest. When you do so, you can choose whatever (expended) die you want to get back.

Toofey
2017-12-18, 07:08 AM
To be clear, you don't decide which die you have available. If you were a sorcadin you would have as many d10 to roll as Paladin levels and as many d6 to roll as you have Sorcerer levels. You would choose from this pool.

Pex
2017-12-18, 09:00 AM
To be clear, you don't decide which die you have available. If you were a sorcadin you would have as many d10 to roll as Paladin levels and as many d6 to roll as you have Sorcerer levels. You would choose from this pool.

I figured as much but couldn't find verification in the rules. Is this talked about in the DMG?

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-18, 09:17 AM
I figured as much but couldn't find verification in the rules. Is this talked about in the DMG?

Not every tiny little detail needs to be typed out. Some things are implicit, and common sense.
You have as many Hit Dice as you have levels in that class. If you have 2 Paladin levels and 6 Sorcerer levels, you have 2d10 and 6d6 HD. You use them as you normally would, and choose which to use. When they are regained, you choose which of those spent get replenished (if it is less than all of them).

ThePolarBear
2017-12-18, 09:24 AM

It's in the class description? You know the amount of hit dice each class gives you and if not used those are availlable to roll.
In the Resting - Short Rest section it is stated that you can expend a Hit Dice that you have. There's no explicitation that i know of. It is also not needed. You have some dice, those dice come in various forms, you choose one or more up to character level. If you have reason to chose a smaller die (not so wounded and a bard is in the party, so prehaps a smaller dice will suffice), you are able to.

Millstone85
2017-12-18, 09:47 AM
It's in the class description? You know the amount of hit dice each class gives you and if not used those are availlable to roll.That part is also in the rules on multiclassing.
Hit Points and Hit Dice
You gain the hit points from your new class as described for levels after 1st. You gain the 1st-level hit points for a class only when you are a 1st-level character.
You add together the Hit Dice granted by all your classes to form your pool of Hit Dice. if the Hit Dice are the same die type, you can simply pool them together. For example, both the fighter and the paladin have a d10. so if you are a paladin 5/fighter 5, you have ten d10 Hit Dice. If your classes give you Hit Dice of different types, keep track of them separately. If you are a paladin 5/cleric 5, for example, you have five d10 Hit Dice and five d8 Hit Dice.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-18, 09:53 AM
That part is also in the rules on multiclassing.

I think he was asking more about which ones to use and which ones to replenish, as there isn't anything written on that subject. But like I said, not everything needs to be spelled out in minute detail.

ThePolarBear
2017-12-18, 09:57 AM
That part is also in the rules on multiclassing.

That's true.

JellyPooga
2017-12-18, 09:58 AM
When they are regained, you choose which of those spent get replenished (if it is less than all of them).

Is there any verification of this? When you long rest, you regain half your maximum HD back, but as far as I'm aware you don't get to track them as a single pool.

E.g. a Paladin 5/Sorcerer 3 that has spent 4d10 and 2d6 on healing would regain 2d10 and 1d6 back on a long rest, not 4d10, because the HD pools are tracked individually (i.e. one of 5d10 and one of 3d6, rounding the fractions down), per the multiclassing rules.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-18, 10:01 AM
Is there any verification of this? When you long rest, you regain half your maximum HD back, but as far as I'm aware you don't get to track them as a single pool.

E.g. a Paladin 5/Sorcerer 3 that has spent 4d10 and 2d6 on healing would regain 2d10 and 1d6 back on a long rest, not 4d10, because the HD pools are tracked individually (i.e. one of 5d10 and one of 3d6, rounding the fractions down), per the multiclassing rules.

Does it really matter? The difference between those two is an average of 2hp. Let the DM decide if he cares enough about it to limit whether they're tracked individually or not. I see it as largely irrelevant.

If that were something done every round it would matter. It's once per long rest. 2HP in a long rest doesn't matter. Take it however you want to for all I care.

JellyPooga
2017-12-18, 10:06 AM
Does it really matter? The difference between those two is an average of 2hp. Let the DM decide if he cares enough about it to limit whether they're tracked individually or not. I see it as largely irrelevant.

And it would be 3d10, not 4d10. He spent 6HD, he gets 3 back. The difference between 2d10+1d6 and 3d10 is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
If that were somehting done every round it would matter. It's once per long rest. 2HP in a long rest doesn't matter. Take it however you want to for all I care.

Regardless of how many you've spent, you regain half your max HD. A level 8 Fighter regains 4d10, whether he's spent 1 or all 8.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-18, 10:07 AM
Regardless of how many you've spent, you regain half your max HD. A level 8 Fighter regains 4d10, whether he's spent 1 or all 8.

Yes, and I caught my mistake and edited.
It's still negligible. Potentially 2 or 4 HP average increased healing over the course of a long rest doesn't make a difference. It's 1 HP for every 2 levels. Do it however you want.
If you're the DM, make the call. If I'm the DM, I don't care. It won't make a difference either way.

ThePolarBear
2017-12-18, 10:08 AM

This is not entirely correct. You regain a number of Hit dice equal to half the amount you have. It doesn't matter what size those are, you have x dice in total.
He regains Hit dice from those he has spent in number equal to half of those x (min 1). There's no pool mentioned anywhere in the rules for regaining, just number of dice.

The pool is mentioned as a single whole, however, in the rules for multiclassing, even if you have two different sizes. The tracking is however kept separate to know how many you have of each time to spend.

Pex
2017-12-18, 01:12 PM
I think he was asking more about which ones to use and which ones to replenish, as there isn't anything written on that subject. But like I said, not everything needs to be spelled out in minute detail.

Given 5E's reputation, yes it does.

guachi
2017-12-18, 06:42 PM
5e has a reputation of being easy to decipher for people that can read for meaning.

I know many people can't decipher the rules and either devolve to endless arguments or have to tweet Crawford. But as long as you don't read things into the rules that aren't there then there aren't too many cases (almost none after errata) that are cause for undue confusion. How HD work really isn't one of them.

There are rules, like how HD work, that can be cause for referencing again because one might not have every rule memorized. For example, I had to look up to see if Stunning Strike had a size limit or not because I forgot. (Spoiler Alert: No, it doesn't)

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-18, 07:15 PM
5e has a reputation of being easy to decipher for people that can read for meaning.
<Snip>
as long as you don't read things into the rules that aren't there then there aren't too many cases (almost none after errata) that are cause for undue confusion.

OMFG, this. A thousand times, this.
Most of the rules arguments that happen occur because someone tried to infer something or include something that wasn't mentioned, simply because it made sense to them personally to include that thing.
Just read what it says, and only what it says, and there is almost never any confusion.

JellyPooga
2017-12-18, 08:04 PM
This is not entirely correct. You regain a number of Hit dice equal to half the amount you have. It doesn't matter what size those are, you have x dice in total.
He regains Hit dice from those he has spent in number equal to half of those x (min 1). There's no pool mentioned anywhere in the rules for regaining, just number of dice.

The pool is mentioned as a single whole, however, in the rules for multiclassing, even if you have two different sizes. The tracking is however kept separate to know how many you have of each time to spend.

I would tend to agree, if nothing else for ease' sake, but just to play devils advocate, the long rest rules stipulate that you regain half your maximum number of them (I'd provide a quote, but I'm posting from phone). By a certain reading, that is exclusive rather than inclusive, meaning you regain half your maximum number of each die type (again referring back to the multiclassing rules stating the separate tracking of HD spent), rather than half the total number of HD you have regardless of type.

@DBZ: I agree that the difference is relatively negligible and probably not worth the effort of tracking; as I mention above, I'm mostly just playing advocate. Having said that, a difference of "only 2 or 4hp over a long rest" could still be the difference between surviving an encounter or not and further, such small differences can add up over time if ignored or hand-waved. It's also, potentially, a small difference that steps on the toes of Class Features like the Bards Song of Rest, whose impact is reduced if between-rest healing is improved by that little piece of hand-waving.

ThePolarBear
2017-12-19, 08:04 AM
the long rest rules stipulate that you regain half your maximum number of them (I'd provide a quote, but I'm posting from phone). By a certain reading, that is exclusive rather than inclusive, meaning you regain half your maximum number of each die type (again referring back to the multiclassing rules stating the separate tracking of HD spent), rather than half the total number of HD you have regardless of type.

"Them" being Hit Dice, not pools. Even if it was "pools", the multiclass rules specifically mention how your Hit Dice pool is a single one. You only track what kind of die you already used, since if there's a single type of die is not really necessary, you only keep track of how many.

"The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character's total number of [Hit Dice]" minimum amount of Hit Dice recovered, 1.

I honestly can't see how one can be exclusive about this. If it is a Hit die, you can recover it. When you are with books at hand and have the time, could you elaborate?

Unoriginal
2017-12-19, 08:18 AM
You recover Hit Dice, in a number equal to half your maximum. The nature of said dices isn't discussed, but you can't regain Hit Dice you haven't spent.

So if you 3d10 and 5d6, and you've spent 3d6 and 1d10, you regain 4 dice, with a maximum of one d10. If you have spent 3d6 and 2d10, you can choose to get 2d10+2d6 or 3d6 and 1d10.

JellyPooga
2017-12-19, 11:22 AM
"Them" being Hit Dice, not pools. Even if it was "pools", the multiclass rules specifically mention how your Hit Dice pool is a single one. You only track what kind of die you already used, since if there's a single type of die is not really necessary, you only keep track of how many.

"The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character's total number of [Hit Dice]" minimum amount of Hit Dice recovered, 1.

I honestly can't see how one can be exclusive about this. If it is a Hit die, you can recover it. When you are with books at hand and have the time, could you elaborate?

The point is that it references HD, not character level and HD can be of different types, thus a character with 5d10 and 5d6 has a maximum of 5d10 and 5d6, not 10HD. It's a weasely sort of argument, but the language is vague enough to support it (not that I'm saying I necessarily do).

ThePolarBear
2017-12-19, 11:41 AM
The point is that it references HD, not character level and HD can be of different types, thus a character with 5d10 and 5d6 has a maximum of 5d10 and 5d6, not 10HD. It's a weasely sort of argument, but the language is vague enough to support it (not that I'm saying I necessarily do).

It's "the total number of them", not total number of each type. There's no possible weaseling here.

You have 4 red apples and 4 green apples. How many apples you have in total? Same scenario. As long as any type of dice you are dealing with is an Hit Dice, it doesn't matter what number of sides, since the total number of dice does not hinges on the number of sides on those dice.

Edit: not meaning you are saying that you believe to be so, too. Just pointing out the strict illogical train of thought necessary for reaching such a reading.

Pex
2017-12-19, 12:52 PM
You recover Hit Dice, in a number equal to half your maximum. The nature of said dices isn't discussed, but you can't regain Hit Dice you haven't spent.

So if you 3d10 and 5d6, and you've spent 3d6 and 1d10, you regain 4 dice, with a maximum of one d10. If you have spent 3d6 and 2d10, you can choose to get 2d10+2d6 or 3d6 and 1d10.

Yeah, that makes logical sense to me. I'm disappointed 5E doesn't have clear rules on it, so s.n.a.f.u. You have to infer it.

Would it be considered a house rule that HD to spend and recover depends on the order you take the classes? For example, if you went paladin for two levels then sorcerer for three, the first three HD spent must be d6s. It's the fourth one that's the d10, which get gets recovered first. Making it more complicated, if you then went back to paladin for 4 more levels, the first four HD spent must be d10, then the next three d6, and finally the last two are d10 again. No matter how many long rests it takes, you get back the 2d10 first, then the 3d6, then the 4d10. If this is a house rule it's a poor one so scratch it.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-12-19, 01:15 PM
In the absence of any qualifiers I would actually read it as player choice, effectively in order from big to small.

It's like laying out two apples and two pears on a table and saying, "take two". The default assumption would not be you follow the instruction more closely by taking one of each, or...?

Editmore: Apparently there was little dispute over this at the start of the thread.

As yet another unnecessarily elaborate house rule, I offer the conga line of death dice:

Your total pool of HD consists of a single line of dice divided into your active pool at the front end and your reserve at the back end.

The next die you roll to regain HP is always the first in line in your pool.

When rolled, a die goes to the end of the line in your reserve.

When you refresh HD, shift that many dice from your reserve to your pool without changing their order.

When you gain a new die, insert it at any point in your active pool.