PDA

View Full Version : Computer Sword Coast Legends license running out

Spore
2017-12-17, 11:50 PM
Heya,

if you want the game you got until the end of the year until it vanishes forever. It got a sale going as well.

And if I got your attention already. Is the campaign doable without insane minmaxing? Because I probably do not want to optimize race/class combos (maybe do something like a dwarf warlock for once).

kevinmevin
2017-12-18, 04:40 AM
What do you mean by "it vanishes forever"? I won't be able to download it on Steam even if I have bought it already?

Antonok
2017-12-18, 04:51 AM
What do you mean by "it vanishes forever"? I won't be able to download it on Steam even if I have bought it already?

No, if you bought it you'll still be able to download it.

The company that made the game shut down so the publisher has been carrying on the sales. But the contract is up at the end of the year, which means Sword Coast Legends is going to fade into the nether.

Togath
2017-12-18, 04:58 AM
What is the game like? Some sort of DnD-y thing?

Zombimode
2017-12-18, 06:43 AM

From the self-description it is more or less D&D 5e.

I've bought the game in the wake of the message that it will be gone forever soon, but I have not started it yet (I've other games to play before that), so I can't say how the game is actually like.

Spore
2017-12-18, 09:08 AM

It feels like World of Faerun: Burning Crusade. Each class has 5 skill trees (2-3 to represent class choices, 1-2 for weapon and utility), you have the archetypical stats of D&D and a group. The graphics look like NWN 3.

But do not expect a game as well written as NWN or Baldur's Gate. It is the fast food of D&D imho. But you could do worse for abt. 5 Euro (idk the US price).

Togath
2017-12-18, 04:49 PM
It feels like World of Faerun: Burning Crusade. Each class has 5 skill trees (2-3 to represent class choices, 1-2 for weapon and utility), you have the archetypical stats of D&D and a group. The graphics look like NWN 3.

But do not expect a game as well written as NWN or Baldur's Gate. It is the fast food of D&D imho. But you could do worse for abt. 5 Euro (idk the US price).

What are NWN and Baldur's Gate? Like, I vaguely know "the latter is a game that exists base don 2e DnD with a top down view", but that's pretty much where my knowledge ends.

factotum
2017-12-18, 05:11 PM
NWN is Neverwinter Nights, a later game which is sort of in the same series as Baldur's Gate--it used (fairly primitive) 3D graphics rather than the top-down stuff of BG, though. They're all computer RPGs using various versions of the D&D ruleset, not sure what else you need to know about them?

Zombimode
2017-12-18, 05:44 PM
What are NWN and Baldur's Gate? Like, I vaguely know "the latter is a game that exists base don 2e DnD with a top down view", but that's pretty much where my knowledge ends.

I feel really old now...

Togath
2017-12-18, 11:51 PM
Hmm... anyone know what the "deluxe" edition has? The steam page lacks a description.

huttj509
2017-12-19, 03:50 AM
Hmm... anyone know what the "deluxe" edition has? The steam page lacks a description.

likely a soundtrack? found on the webpage a list of what it adds, and while I haven't checked the dm tool stuff, all the single player stuff came with the base one I got (an attribute book in the guild chest, some armor/cloak for a small starting boost, etc).

heronbpv
2017-12-19, 07:52 AM
The game was on my wishlist for quite a while, so I'm glad for the info, and the ability to buy it before it goes to oblivion. Thanks OP!