PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Familial Geas + Oath of Blood

Avigor
2017-12-18, 12:46 AM
What would happen if these were both cast on the same person back to back? I'm fairly certain the RAW of this is FG and OoB both trigger simultaneously on death, but I do have two notable questions:
1: Would the OoB effect only apply to the original target, or would it go on to every member of the family until it was broken?
2: In the case that OoB doesn't transfer, could it be cast on a family member who inherits the geas after they fail their Will save, or are they somehow invalid targets (because they weren't technically directly targeted by the caster of the FG or somesuch)?

Crake
2017-12-18, 04:39 AM
Oath of blood would not transfer, but it would be castable on the inheritor of the familial geas, as it says "subject to a geas" not "target of a geas".

Honestly though, I would say that the familial geas wouldn't transfer while the oath of blood was in effect. Probably not raw, but it feels like the RAI of the situation. Oath of blood extends the geas beyond death, familial geas is meant to pass on the geas when the original target is no longer able to. If the original target has been raised as an undead, then they're still capable of working on the geas. If they're destroyed at that point, then the familial geas would trigger and pass it on.