PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Theorycraft Hexblade/Eldritch Knight build

BobZan
2017-12-18, 08:34 AM
I'm always trying builds that can do 'different' things effectively with good action economy and character progression from level 1. I try to avoid Sorcerer on these builds so I can try new interactions without Metamagic.

Mandatory spells: EB, Shield, Absorb Elements

Would appreciate some non-Sorcerer insights!

V. Human: Crossbow Expert

or

Lv 1: Fighter 1 -> Fighting Style: Defense

CA: 17 (19 with a shield)

Medium Armor: Use a Hand Crossbow if you want more damage, if you want to melee right away, pick a shield and a Rapier.

Heavy Armor: Shield and Longsword

Lv 2: Hexblade 1
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Presdigitation
Spells: Shield, Hex

Lv 3: Hexblade 2
Spell: Comprehend Languages
Invocations: Agonising Blast + Grasp of Hadar or Devil's Sight or Fiendish Vigor

Grab a shield and go tank! You can Eldritch Blast from melee and pull some foes towards you.

Lv 4: Fighter 2

Lv 5: Eldritch Knight 3
Cantrips: Thunderclap + Light (or Blade Ward)
Spells: Absorb Elements, Identify, Find Familar

Here your Eldritch Blast will start firing 2 bolts, you can pull or do good amounts of damage to a single target while tanking.

Lv 6: Eldritch Knight 4
ASI: +2 Cha
Spell: False Life

Here you catch up on the ASIs.

Lv 7: Eldritch Knight 5

Lv 8: Eldritch Knight 6
Feat: Warcaster

Lv 9: Eldritch Knight 7
War Magic Feature
Spell: Darkness (if you took Devil's Sight), Continual Flame if not.

The build connects here with the War Magic EK feature. You can Eldritch Blast + Attack, increasing your DPR while tanking. You can also attack with your EB and use a Net effectively without disadvantage to restrain large or smaller targets for more battlefield control.

Lv 10: Eldritch Knight 8
ASI: +2 Cha
Spell: Blur or Mirror Image

Lv 11+ you'll get extra Eldritch Blasts.

From here on you can go Hexblade for Cloak of Flies and Eldritch Smite, Rogue for Sneak attack and added versatility, Swords Bard for Flourish and more spells, Paladin for more tankiness, spells and smites. Depends on initial Attributes.

You can go Wizard (War Magic, Abjuration) aswell, but you have to start with 13 INT.

Degwerks
2017-12-18, 09:01 AM
Just a reminder that Grasp of Hadar is once per turn, not once per bolt from eldritch blast.

BobZan
2017-12-18, 09:03 AM
Just a reminder that Grasp of Hadar is once per turn, not once per bolt from eldritch blast.

Good point. Will fix it.

Degwerks
2017-12-18, 12:59 PM
You could use Grasp of Hadar to pull an enemy in, have Pole arm Master feat to get a free reaction attack when they enter your reach, then you can get the 7th level EK war magic ability to make a bonus action weapon attack. Once you get 5th level in warlock you can get Eldritch Smite to knock them prone. Getting the Mobile feat would be fun shenanigans doing this.

BobZan
2017-12-18, 01:46 PM
I don't think Grasp of Hadar would trigger PAM, would be aces if it did.

Grasp of Hadar, triggers PAM, triggers War Caster, AoO Eldritch Blast, Attack with weapon, Smite, knock prone. Video game special hit combo. Sadly these interactions can't be done by RAW and RAI.

JoyfulJester
2017-12-18, 02:58 PM
I would recommend going hexblade 1st level and picking up warcaster instead of crossbow expert. Shield and absorb elements are somatic spells which means you would need a free hand to cast them. If you are S&B you'll need warcaster asap.

Bloodcloud
2017-12-18, 03:25 PM
I got some similar build from before Xanathar's. Repelling blast can be interesting in pushing enemies around and away from your squishies too. Not limited once per turn too.

Degwerks
2017-12-18, 03:39 PM
I don't think Grasp of Hadar would trigger PAM, would be aces if it did.

Grasp of Hadar, triggers PAM, triggers War Caster, AoO Eldritch Blast, Attack with weapon, Smite, knock prone. Video game special hit combo. Sadly these interactions can't be done by RAW and RAI.

I looked it up again and PAM only states that you get an AoO when an enemy enters the reach of your weapon. I got that idea from another thread some time ago and they were talking about how you could get it. Not sure on its legality though.

Edit: not legal. I found a SA where someone else wanted to know if an ally shoved a foe into their reach if PAM granted one. It doesn't.

BobZan
2017-12-18, 05:50 PM
I would recommend going hexblade 1st level and picking up warcaster instead of crossbow expert. Shield and absorb elements are somatic spells which means you would need a free hand to cast them. If you are S&B you'll need warcaster asap.

You'll be using Eldritch Blast and no weapons from Lv 3 to Lv 9, that's why I picked Warcaster on 8. That's why I picked Crossbow Expert, to Eldritch on melee.

JoyfulJester
2017-12-18, 07:11 PM
You'll be using Eldritch Blast and no weapons from Lv 3 to Lv 9, that's why I picked Warcaster on 8. That's why I picked Crossbow Expert, to Eldritch on melee.
Ahhh I see.