View Full Version : Miko and forcecage.

Purple_cloack
2007-08-21, 01:52 PM
:smallconfused: This one confuses me. Miko says it in second box: Not again? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html)
What means Miko has been putted in that spell before?

Jasdoif
2007-08-21, 02:01 PM
It could be that she's still angry about a similar execution being interrupted. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0285.html)

boomwolf
2007-08-21, 03:29 PM
or the repeating failure to get rid of the "bearer of the crimson mental"

RAGE KING!
2007-08-21, 03:35 PM
i think thats right

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-21, 03:42 PM
No, it's that the Sapphire Guard has never been successful in killing the bearer of the Crimson Mantle.

SoD Spoiler:

The raid on Redcloaks village was targeted at the High Priest. Redcloak ended up with the cloak (probably a major Artifact), and became the new Bearer of the Crimson Mantle.

The goal of the Dark One is to free the Snarl, destroy the current world, and use the threat of the Snarl to force the other gods into giving the goblins a better deal in the World 3.0

The Wanderer
2007-08-21, 03:52 PM
SoD Spoiler:

The raid on Redcloaks village was targeted at the High Priest. Redcloak ended up with the cloak (probably a major Artifact), and became the new Bearer of the Crimson Mantle.

The goal of the Dark One is to free the Snarl, destroy the current world, and use the threat of the Snarl to force the other gods into giving the goblins a better deal in the World 3.0

No, it isn't. According to Redcloak, that's the fallback plan.

Kish
2007-08-21, 05:00 PM
No, it isn't. According to Redcloak, that's the fallback plan.

Not even that, quite.
The primary plan is just to use the threat of the Snarl to force the other gods to agree to a more equitable distribution of resources. However, if the world is destroyed, they're confident the goblins will get a better deal in the next world, not because of the threat of the Snarl--the world will only get destroyed if the Dark One doesn't have control over the Snarl, after all--but simply because the goblins will have a divine advocate this time around.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-21, 10:11 PM
Kind of makes you wonder:

Xykon wants to rule the world, Redcloak wants to destroy it, or at least put the world at the mercy of the Snarl. Some people on these boards think Redcloak might betray Xykon, but what about the possibility of Xykon betraying Redcloak? :smalleek:

Miko does indeed call Redcloak a "nihlist," so maybe the Sapphire Guard knows that Redcloak is the more dangerous of the two.

Icewalker
2007-08-21, 11:08 PM
Well they would only think he is more dangerous because Xykon is just an unknown lich, while The Bearer of the Crimson Mantle has been around and hunted for a long time.

Palpie
2007-08-21, 11:50 PM
Kind of makes you wonder:

Xykon wants to rule the world, Redcloak wants to destroy it, or at least put the world at the mercy of the Snarl. Some people on these boards think Redcloak might betray Xykon, but what about the possibility of Xykon betraying Redcloak? :smalleek:
Redcloak has already betrayed Xykon. Remember the moment the rituals are complete the Dark One get control of the gate not Xykon. Redcloak surely knows by now that he's on a suicide mission. If they succeed in warping a gate, Xykon will learn pretty damn fast that he doesn't get to be world emperor. And since he can't enjoy the little things, like horrid coffee, anymore all that keeps him going is watching things die and knowing that he'll eventually rule the world. The moment he figures out Redcloak lied to him all along, Redcloak will be deader than Righteye.

Also, just because Redcloak accepts that the destruction of the world might be a result of his actions, and believes that said destruction will result in a world 3.0 where humaniods are given a fair chance, doesn't mean that is his goal. If Redcloak just wanted to destroy the world he would have found a way to destroy the Red Mountian gate long before the Order showed up, and destroying Lirian's gate wouldn't have been an accident.

Miko does indeed call Redcloak a "nihlist," so maybe the Sapphire Guard knows that Redcloak is the more dangerous of the two.
:roy: You're accepting as credible a theory that came out of Miko's mouth.
:belkar: Oh. Right.
Miko also said Redcloak didnt have a soul which we know is competely false. Redcloak might reject the authority of the Saphire Guard or any other human organization, but he is completely devoted to the Dark One's vision of how to improve the humanoid's lots. The Saphire Guard most likely have no idea exactly what the Dark One's intentions are, and consider anyone who shows the slightest interest in the gates or the snarl to be out to destroy the world.

Ohh and as for the OP's question, I'm pretty sure she's refering to the fact that it's the third time in the comic she's stood over a defeated 'evil doer' ready to smite them down to the lower planes. And she hasn't succeeded in doing so yet. Roy survived the smite because he isn't evil. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html) V 'saved' Belkar. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0285.html) And Xykon interrupted her. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html) Since killing evil beings because her evil rader went off seems to be all Miko enjoys doing, constantly being denied the chance to do so would likely be very frustrating.

No, it's that the Sapphire Guard has never been successful in killing the bearer of the Crimson Mantle.
Sod spoiler:
Actually, they've killed the bearer many times (which is why the cloak is so tattered). They probably don't have any idea that the mantle is an artifact though, as they never take it with them or try to destroy it. They likely just think only the high priest of the Dark One gets a red cloak. And maybe have picked up on the Crimson Mantle title, but w/o realizing the significance.

factotum
2007-08-22, 01:30 AM

And Redcloak immediately replied that she obviously hadn't put any ranks into her Knowledge (What the Hell You're Talking About) skill--clearly he disagreed with her assessment of his character. Frankly, I'd be more inclined to believe something Redcloak said than Miko--as far as we can tell Redcloak is reasonably sane and actually has a good reason to believe his God talks to him!

wymarc
2007-08-22, 08:48 AM

SoD Spoiler:

dont you mean 4.0......

Setra
2007-08-22, 08:53 AM
And Redcloak immediately replied that she obviously hadn't put any ranks into her Knowledge (What the Hell You're Talking About) skill--clearly he disagreed with her assessment of his character. Frankly, I'd be more inclined to believe something Redcloak said than Miko--as far as we can tell Redcloak is reasonably sane and actually has a good reason to believe his God talks to him!
I'm inclined to believe both, to some degree.

Miko may have been insane, but she probably knew to some degree what the Bearer of the Crimson may do (Like Destroying the world). Though she's probably a bit too zealous in what she says.

Regneva
2007-08-22, 09:05 AM
dont you mean 4.0......

Well I'm not counting 4 worlds. 1 is the one snarl destroyed within the moments of its creation, 2 is the current one and acts as snarls prison. so the next one should be 3, not 4...

Alysar
2007-08-22, 09:36 AM
Heh Heh. "Samurai Jill"

/I LOLed

Quezovercoatl
2007-08-22, 09:52 AM
Well I'm not counting 4 worlds. 1 is the one snarl destroyed within the moments of its creation, 2 is the current one and acts as snarls prison. so the next one should be 3, not 4...

*makes traditional “that went right over your head” gesture*
Unless wymarc was not referring to 4th edition.

The Wanderer
2007-08-22, 12:11 PM
REDCLOAK DOES NOT WANT TO DESTROY THE WORLD PEOPLE! REREAD THE SECTION IN QUESTION IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME!!!

Or do I have to get out my copy of SOD and quote it? :smallannoyed:

And back to the original question before the hijack, while I don't think it's ever been completely agreed upon exactly what Miko meant, I tend to fall on the side of her being prevented from executing an "evil-doer" once again. Made her extra smite happy with Shojo.

SteveMB
2007-08-22, 12:44 PM
Redcloak has already betrayed Xykon. Remember the moment the rituals are complete the Dark One get control of the gate not Xykon. Redcloak surely knows by now that he's on a suicide mission. If they succeed in warping a gate, Xykon will learn pretty damn fast that he doesn't get to be world emperor. And since he can't enjoy the little things, like horrid coffee, anymore all that keeps him going is watching things die and knowing that he'll eventually rule the world. The moment he figures out Redcloak lied to him all along, Redcloak will be deader than Righteye.

Hmmm... Xykon already knew that Right-eye was up to, but let it play out to see what Redcloak would do (and cement Redcloak's bitch-hood). Perhaps he's already aware of this, too....

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-22, 01:04 PM
Hmmm... Xykon already knew that Right-eye was up to, but let it play out to see what Redcloak would do (and cement Redcloak's bitch-hood). Perhaps he's already aware of this, too....

The question is "When did Xykon decide to pay attention?"

Xykon probably had a bit of an idea on how the phylactery worked, and probably assumed that his minions might betray HIM. But the idea that a minion might betray the entire WORLD could be a bit of a leap.

Of course, I expect Xykon pay very close attention to everything once he reaches the last gate, since it will also be his last chance to become World Emperor before having to look for a new plan/power source.

Palpie
2007-08-23, 12:41 PM
I doubt it. He gains nothing from the plan if he knows the whole story. And Xykon certianly isn't going along just to better the lots of the humanoids.

Though I guess you could argue he knows the deal and since undeath isn't the barrel of laughs he initially thought it was, is just going along intending to release the snarl. But he really hasn't done anything to indicate he wants to destory the gates, so I think signs point to Redcloak still having that one big secret.

SteveMB
2007-08-23, 12:54 PM
I doubt it. He gains nothing from the plan if he knows the whole story. And Xykon certianly isn't going along just to better the lots of the humanoids.

Though I guess you could argue he knows the deal and since undeath isn't the barrel of laughs he initially thought it was, is just going along intending to release the snarl. But he really hasn't done anything to indicate he wants to destory the gates, so I think signs point to Redcloak still having that one big secret.

If he does have some idea what Redcloak is up to, maybe he thinks he has a way to rejigger the ritual at the last minute so he can seize control. Of course, whether it would actually work is another question....

Certainly, he needs to have enough control to do a limited "demonstation" -- as Dr. Strangelove pointed out, a Doomsday Weapon doesn't do you any good if it's a secret.