PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a bow as action and throwing a light weapon as bonus action?

Blas_de_Lezo
2017-12-18, 11:36 AM
So you, only have one interaction with a weapon per round. And we know that you can throw light weapons when using TWF. But if you use a weapon with the "ammunition" property, you can shoot up to all arrows you are able to shoot. Could you use your action to shoot a bow and then use your bonus action to throw a light weapon?

nickl_2000
2017-12-18, 11:41 AM
No you can't

From PhB 195 under Two Weapon Fighting
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand

Since shooting a bow is a ranged weapon, not a light melee weapon. It can't be done. Even the fighting style and the feat refer to melee weapons specifically.

WickerNipple
2017-12-18, 11:42 AM
So you, only have one interaction with a weapon per round. And we know that you can throw light weapons when using TWF. But if you use a weapon with the "ammunition" property, you can shoot up to all arrows you are able to shoot. Could you use your action to shoot a bow and then use your bonus action to throw a light weapon?

Nope.

Two-Weapon Fighting is explained on page 195 of the PHB.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-18, 11:43 AM

Unless you have the dual-wielder Feat, both weapons need to be light in order to make use of two-weapon fighting. And I don't think that any bows have the 'light' tag on them.

Even taking the Dual Wielder Feat only gives you this: "You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light."

So, no, it does not look like this would work.

clash
2017-12-18, 10:06 PM
Ranged two weapon fighting is effectively covered by the crossbow expert feat.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-18, 10:11 PM
Ranged two weapon fighting is effectively covered by the crossbow expert feat.

And does it with one hand and only one weapon too.

JBPuffin
2017-12-18, 10:15 PM
And does it with one hand and only one weapon too.

Crossbow has to be loaded - if it only uses one weapon, that would mean you get to reload in between your action and bonus action, which I don't think is supported...unless you have text to back it up? I could be wrong and would like to know either way.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-18, 10:22 PM
Crossbow has to be loaded - if it only uses one weapon, that would mean you get to reload in between your action and bonus action, which I don't think is supported...unless you have text to back it up? I could be wrong and would like to know either way.

Reloading is part of making an attack roll. Also the feat removes the loading property.

That is why most min maxers who want to do dex builds take CBX so they can make a free bonus attack and use archery fighting style and sharpshooter.

Also hugely popular with rogues as the same feat let's you shoot in melee.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-18, 10:26 PM
Reloading is part of making an attack roll. Also the feat removes the loading property.

That is why most min maxers who want to do dex builds take CBX so they can make a free bonus attack and use archery fighting style and sharpshooter.

Also hugely popular with rogues as the same feat let's you shoot in melee.

Word.

Here is a link (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats) for you JB

Coffee_Dragon
2017-12-19, 02:00 AM
Still need two hands for loading, though.