PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielder Feat with thrown weapons

nickl_2000
2017-12-18, 11:49 AM
So there has been a long discussion on here about how the thrown weapon character really doesn't work when you have multiple attacks. What about if you took the Dual Wielder feat?

By RAW it says "You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one" So, what is stopping me from holding a shield and using this text to draw a Javelin, throw it, then draw a second and throw it as someone who has two attacks?

Sure. it's not the best use of a feat, but it is a RAW way to make it work, isn't it?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-18, 11:52 AM
Honestly, I know it's not RAW, but I have yet to come across a DM that doesn't houserule it so that you can draw as many throwing weapons as you can attack with, as part of the attack action. I mean, if I can draw an arrow, nock it, and fire a bow multiple times per round, why not be able to draw a javelin or dagger?

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-12-18, 11:55 AM
Im not 100% sure but it sounds like it should work because it should take the same amount of time to draw and attack with a sword as it dose when drawing and throwing a javelin.

nickl_2000
2017-12-18, 11:55 AM
Honestly, I know it's not RAW, but I have yet to come across a DM that doesn't houserule it so that you can draw as many throwing weapons as you can attack with, as part of the attack action. I mean, if I can draw an arrow, nock it, and fire a bow multiple times per round, why not be able to draw a javelin or dagger?

I agree with your logic complete, but it was just a RAW thought as I looked at something else for another thread.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-18, 12:22 PM
So there has been a long discussion on here about how the thrown weapon character really doesn't work when you have multiple attacks. What about if you took the Dual Wielder feat?

By RAW it says "You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one" So, what is stopping me from holding a shield and using this text to draw a Javelin, throw it, then draw a second and throw it as someone who has two attacks?

Sure. it's not the best use of a feat, but it is a RAW way to make it work, isn't it?

Yep that works, it gets hairier though when a fighter gets the third extra attack.

nickl_2000
2017-12-18, 12:23 PM
Yep that works, it gets hairier though when a fighter gets the third extra attack.

I was thinking it would be best for a non-fighter that got two attacks, but yes that is true.

JackPhoenix
2017-12-18, 12:23 PM
By RAW it says "You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one" So, what is stopping me from holding a shield and using this text to draw a Javelin, throw it, then draw a second and throw it as someone who has two attacks??

The fact that you may draw the weapon for free only once in a turn. The feat allows you to draw two weapons instead of one, but you can still draw the weapon(s) for free only once in a turn. You'll have to draw them both at the same time. So, no shield.

Willie the Duck
2017-12-18, 12:36 PM
Start out with javelin in each hand.
Round 1:

Throw first javelin with first attack
Throw second javelin with second attack
Draw two javelins with once/round ability to draw weapons
Throw third javelin with third attack, ending round with one weapon in hand

Round 2:

Throw first javelin with first attack
Draw two javelins with once/round ability to draw weapons
Throw second javelin with second attack
Throw third javelin with third attack, ending round with no weapons in hand

So the situation works fine for two rounds. If the character is within 2 movements of their opponent (and wants to close with them), the last weapon drawn can be a non-ranged weapon and the last attack can be melee. Next round the draw action can be to draw one's second-hand weapon and fight 2wf.

Of course, if you have more than 3 attacks (such as fighter 11 who also wants to use the bonus action attack since they bothered to take Dual Wielder) this becomes an issue. Something to take up with the DM.