PDA

View Full Version : Optimization AL Gun-user

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-18, 01:23 PM
One of my characters has a Musket of the Ild Rune, which is an uncommon. What would be the best build to maximize the effectiveness of it? I have a level 4 character with an uncommon I can trade for the musket, so builds starting at level 4 would be appreciated. Will be going at least 1 fighter for archery fighting style, since there is no way to get proficiency with guns in AL.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-18, 01:29 PM
Don’t they have very limited ammunition? I’m AFB but the only muskets I’ve encountered had limited ammo, so building around them seems like a poor play.

Assuming that’s not an issue, sharpshooter is out. Aren’t they loading? Seems like Rogue is best bet.

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-18, 01:33 PM
Don’t they have very limited ammunition? I’m AFB but the only muskets I’ve encountered had limited ammo, so building around them seems like a poor play.

Assuming that’s not an issue, sharpshooter is out. Aren’t they loading? Seems like Rogue is best bet.

It costs around 38 gp to make the materials for 10 shots(bullets and black powder), so in an actual campaign that won't be an issue.

They are loading, which was why I was thinking rogue as well, or maybe warlock pact of the blade for the eldritch smite invocation.

BobZan
2017-12-18, 01:35 PM
eldritch knight 7/rogue 13

Cantrip and musket shot

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-18, 01:56 PM
eldritch knight 7/rogue 13

Cantrip and musket shot

I hadn't thought of that. What type of rogue though?

PeteNutButter
2017-12-18, 01:58 PM
It costs around 38 gp to make the materials for 10 shots(bullets and black powder), so in an actual campaign that won't be an issue.

They are loading, which was why I was thinking rogue as well, or maybe warlock pact of the blade for the eldritch smite invocation.

I like the idea of eldritch smite, but just for the flavor of being able to knock a mounted knight off his steed with a gunshot. Mechanically it’s probably not optimal to take 5 levels in a class that grants essentially extra attack and not use it.

You could potentially make 3 attacks with it a round via haste and bonus action (maybe war cleric?), or four if you can manage a reaction ranged attack (which I can’t think of a good way off the top of my head).

BobZan
2017-12-18, 02:00 PM
I hadn't thought of that. What type of rogue though?

Scout, AT, Assassin. All good choices, adapt it to your playstyle!

You could even go Hexblade 5 for Eldritch Blast + Shot + Eldritch Smite. Flavored! Your musket shot is so strong that it knocks your targets prone (Eldritch Smite).

PS: ninja'd

rooneg
2017-12-18, 02:09 PM
Just keep in mind that according to AL rules you literally cannot ever become proficient in it. That's a huge downside to any build.

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-18, 02:14 PM
Just keep in mind that according to AL rules you literally cannot ever become proficient in it. That's a huge downside to any build.

That's part of why I put forward pact of the blade. Take the improved pact weapon invocation, with the archery fighting style nets me at least +3 to hit. Max out Dex ASAP, and I'll get +8 to hit, which isn't that bad.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-18, 02:14 PM

To cover that I'd look for either a rogue, hide spam for advantage or maybe even play a kobold.

How about a grassland druid for haste, and a dip in war cleric? Something comical about a druid using a gun... It's too bad it's AL, because I'd totally allow magic stone to create musket balls. Full wisdom gunner...

QuintonBeck
2017-12-18, 02:49 PM
Fighter 1/Warlock 5+ looks like the best for getting bonuses to hit from your class to make up for no proficiency and Eldritch Smite invocation is flavorful. Hexblade on a musket using character just seems appropriate and would allow you to focus all your ASIs on Cha. Why wouldn't you worship this amazing weapon from beyond or whatever created it?

If you have a Bard in your party bribe him so he uses his Inspirations on you and make sure to be near the Cleric should they be dolling out Bless. In fact, picking up Bless either through a dip or Magic Initiate might not be a bad idea for a Concentration spell you can be focusing on while lining up shots. Downside is it'll likely be a pretty limited ability you get to use. Just having a Bless-friendly Cleric would probably be better than further splitting your build.

Rogue seems useful to this build and I wouldn't be afraid to splash some around but I don't think it can lift the penalties of non-proficiency all alone and I'm not sure it adds enough to outweigh more Warlock levels. That'll be your call.

EDIT: Taking 1 level of Forge Cleric would let you give yourself +1 to Hit and Damage via Blessing of the Forge, same as the Improved Pact Weapon. So Fighter 3/Forge Cleric 1 with Archery would have + Dex +2 Archery +1 Blessing to hit. Plus you'd naturally be able to cast Bless as a Cleric. Going heavy into Forge Cleric itself might not be a terrible idea.

EDIT2: The wording on Blessing of the Forge may prevent this. Depends on what the Musket is considered. If it's considered magical this doesn't work and if it it's considered something other than a "simple or martial weapon" this doesn't work.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-18, 03:37 PM
Looking at the loading property, it doesn't look like it stops you from taking extra attack, just stops extra attack from that weapon. That means thirsting blade is useless, but extra attack from any other source can be: Fire Musket >Draw Dart > Toss Dart.

Rogue is still probably the best way to keep competitive damage. Arcane Trickster by level 13 can fire twice a round with Haste, on separate turns dealing: (1d12+1d6+7d6)*2. That's an average of 69 damage a round. Nothing amazing, but respectable. I'd still recommend kobold, as the necessity of advantage is high, even though it shuts off all the cool Xanathar options.

Caelic
2017-12-18, 04:02 PM
Can you HAVE a musket as your pact weapon? I didn't think that was an option, even with IPW.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-18, 04:05 PM
Can you HAVE a musket as your pact weapon? I didn't think that was an option, even with IPW.

You can make any magic weapon into your pact weapon.

Callin
2017-12-18, 06:23 PM
I know its a waste but can you take the feat for weapon prof and choose musket?

So VHuman weapon prof feat.
Fighter 2 for fighting style and action surge
Rogue 2 for rogue goodness.

Then finish up Fighter 4 (BM) for asi dex then rogue 16 AT for a familair for adv shots sneak attack.

QuintonBeck
2017-12-18, 06:54 PM
I know its a waste but can you take the feat for weapon prof and choose musket?

So VHuman weapon prof feat.
Fighter 2 for fighting style and action surge
Rogue 2 for rogue goodness.

Then finish up Fighter 4 (BM) for asi dex then rogue 16 AT for a familair for adv shots sneak attack.

This was my initial thoughts but the Adventurer's League guidelines are explicitly restrictive. I quote them below.

"Can I Ever Become Proficient in the Musket I Found?
No.
What If I Find a Way to Become Proficient in it?
No. Not ever.
Ever?
Never."

I find it exceedingly stupid that WotC wouldn't use the musket as a way to feat tax people into Weapon Master since otherwise no one will ever take it. Ever. But hey, apparently what I can deduce is a 1d12+1d6 magic weapon is just too powerful to have proficiency with :smalltongue:

Callin
2017-12-18, 07:18 PM
Okay then MI for Guidance, ???, and Bless. Then do Fighter rogue for adv.

rooneg
2017-12-18, 07:24 PM
I find it exceedingly stupid that WotC wouldn't use the musket as a way to feat tax people into Weapon Master since otherwise no one will ever take it. Ever. But hey, apparently what I can deduce is a 1d12+1d6 magic weapon is just too powerful to have proficiency with :smalltongue:

It's not about power level, it's about them not wanting a whole bunch of musketeers running around their organized play program.

QuintonBeck
2017-12-18, 08:06 PM
It's not about power level, it's about them not wanting a whole bunch of musketeers running around their organized play program.

More a dig at Weapon Master than the Musket itself. I say don't put things in games for players to use that you don't want them to use but I'm a zany DM like that. I don't necessarily object to limiting it for setting reasons.

I do think introducing a weapon that falls outside the categories of "able to normally become proficient in" and not allowing a feat whose only purpose seems to be granting proficiency in strange weapons to work considering there are no other weapons or scenarios where Weapon Master is a good or even decent feat is just further degenerating Weapon Master as an utterly useless feat. What Simple weapons only character so desperately wants/needs Martial proficiency but is unable to gain it from archetype or a multiclass?

PeteNutButter
2017-12-18, 09:26 PM
More a dig at Weapon Master than the Musket itself. I say don't put things in games for players to use that you don't want them to use but I'm a zany DM like that. I don't necessarily object to limiting it for setting reasons.

I do think introducing a weapon that falls outside the categories of "able to normally become proficient in" and not allowing a feat whose only purpose seems to be granting proficiency in strange weapons to work considering there are no other weapons or scenarios where Weapon Master is a good or even decent feat is just further degenerating Weapon Master as an utterly useless feat. What Simple weapons only character so desperately wants/needs Martial proficiency but is unable to gain it from archetype or a multiclass?

It's not really that bad. With archery FS you have the same chance to hit as any melee up until level 5. If you build around it, you'll do just fine at hitting things, and won't really notice until around level 9 where that +4 is starting to be missed... Honestly, I think the bigger problem is the loading that can't be gotten around by a feat.

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-19, 07:18 AM
Looking at the loading property, it doesn't look like it stops you from taking extra attack, just stops extra attack from that weapon. That means thirsting blade is useless, but extra attack from any other source can be: Fire Musket >Draw Dart > Toss Dart.

Rogue is still probably the best way to keep competitive damage. Arcane Trickster by level 13 can fire twice a round with Haste, on separate turns dealing: (1d12+1d6+7d6)*2. That's an average of 69 damage a round. Nothing amazing, but respectable. I'd still recommend kobold, as the necessity of advantage is high, even though it shuts off all the cool Xanathar options.

The character the musket is currently on is Battle Master 5/Swashbuckler 4, so he goes up to the enemy, makes a weak kick(Strength is not his strength), Feinting Attack bonus action, step back 5-15 ft., and shoot with advantage. It works, and it definitely hurts when I crit(2d12+2d8+6d6+5(Min=15, Max=81)), but its not very reliable to hit at the moment, especially when my melee weapon is a +2 Rapier that gets me +11 to hit.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-19, 11:27 AM
Could you legally take it as a Kensei weapon? Or is it not a martial weapon so it wouldn’t work? I know you can’t legally become proficient, but it would be nice to potentially turn it into a +3 musket. Monk would also solve your extra attack struggles, making your unarmed strikes better.

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-19, 12:10 PM
Could you legally take it as a Kensei weapon? Or is it not a martial weapon so it wouldn’t work? I know you can’t legally become proficient, but it would be nice to potentially turn it into a +3 musket. Monk would also solve your extra attack struggles, making your unarmed strikes better.

I don't believe I can. I'm afb right now.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-19, 01:26 PM
The character the musket is currently on is Battle Master 5/Swashbuckler 4, so he goes up to the enemy, makes a weak kick(Strength is not his strength), Feinting Attack bonus action, step back 5-15 ft., and shoot with advantage. It works, and it definitely hurts when I crit(2d12+2d8+6d6+5(Min=15, Max=81)), but its not very reliable to hit at the moment, especially when my melee weapon is a +2 Rapier that gets me +11 to hit.

You could probably use it as improvised club. It's DM dependent, but I'd totally let a player strike with the end of the musket as a club.

I don't believe I can. I'm afb right now.

Just looked at it again, it wouldn't work... It meets all the other categories, but it's not a martial weapon. It's a Renaissance weapon in the DMG... lol.

The fighter dip for archery style is a good choice. The pact of the blade probably isn't worth it from a mechanical standpoint, compared to just rogue levels. A 5% increase in chance to hit is not worth losing an average of 6 damage, despite it's increase in linearity. It could be fun to be a pure cha build gunner though. Elven Accuracy, darkness spam would make up for your miss chance.