PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mearls AMA tomorrow

Outliar
2017-12-19, 12:04 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7k48ya/ama_announcement_mike_mearls_tuesday_19th/

Thought you ought to know.

Mato
2017-12-19, 05:37 AM
Yeah this will be the second one.

I didn't dig too deep on the last one, but it seems everyone is too scared to ask Mearls about the interaction between pact magic & sorcery points or if it's even possible to avoid all long rests. It's the millennial problem in a short summery really, rather than knowing the correct answer they will always choose to argue that their unconfirmed opinion is right.

For example, I bet someone will quote this post and provide a partial quote from Xanathar's optional rule chapter as proof it works rather than saying they will post a question about it and up vote anyone else who does too.

Unoriginal
2017-12-19, 05:42 AM
Why not ask the question yourself?

Also, note that nothing Mearls says on Reddit will be considered official by WotC

Vaz
2017-12-19, 08:32 AM
It's amusing and sad how his only response to the thread is 'Looking forward to answering your questions', but has been voted into negatives already.

Toofey
2017-12-19, 08:40 AM
Can we ask him why he keeps weighing down a very very good system with very bad rulings he pronounces from on high?

JackPhoenix
2017-12-19, 08:44 AM

I didn't dig too deep on the last one, but it seems everyone is too scared to ask Mearls about the interaction between pact magic & sorcery points or if it's even possible to avoid all long rests. It's the millennial problem in a short summery really, rather than knowing the correct answer they will always choose to argue that their unconfirmed opinion is right.

For example, I bet someone will quote this post and provide a partial quote from Xanathar's optional rule chapter as proof it works rather than saying they will post a question about it and up vote anyone else who does too.

Not that anything Mearls say has any meaning, Crawford is the rules guy. Mearls' opinion is about as valid as yours or mine... propably even less, given his track record.

MeeposFire
2017-12-19, 04:48 PM
Can we ask him why he keeps weighing down a very very good system with very bad rulings he pronounces from on high?

I think you are confused because generally JC is the one making rulings considering he is the Sage.

ad_hoc
2017-12-19, 04:59 PM

I think it is more that the vast majority of people just don't care.

Kane0
2017-12-19, 05:05 PM
Can someone ask him if Magic Stone is supposed to be a spell or a weapon? It carries language for both.

Tanarii
2017-12-19, 05:16 PM
Honestly, I'd rather see Mearls talk about high level design philosophy and his priorities for direction of the game. JC is more interesting as a nuts and bolts of mechanics guy.

Fishybugs
2017-12-19, 05:58 PM
I didn't dig too deep on the last one, but it seems everyone is too scared to ask Mearls about the interaction between pact magic & sorcery points or if it's even possible to avoid all long rests.

If someone tried using this in one of my games, I'd be fine with it. He'd have to be fine with cumulative levels of exhaustion, though.

Kane0
2017-12-19, 06:20 PM
Ooh, someone ask him "Do you have any wacky stuff to share? Wierd concepts put on the backburner? The kind of thing that really changes up the game, like ToB/Incarnum/Binders/Truenamers did in 3.5"

Naanomi
2017-12-19, 06:20 PM
If someone tried using this in one of my games, I'd be fine with it. He'd have to be fine with cumulative levels of exhaustion, though.
That is what restoration is for :smallwink:

Mato
2017-12-20, 04:57 PM
Why not ask the question yourself?My employment doesn't have a lot of 'go screw around' time unlike other places you may have worked so I figured I'd miss it again. And I did.

I think it is more that the vast majority of people just don't care.
I'm not sure.

Also, note that nothing Mearls says on Reddit will be considered official by WotC

Not that anything Mearls say has any meaning, Crawford is the rules guy. Mearls' opinion is about as valid as yours or mine... propably even less, given his track record.

I think you are confused because generally JC is the one making rulings considering he is the Sage.A couple people cared enough to post in here just to discredit him rather than risking what he might say.

ad_hoc
2017-12-20, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure.

I would guess somewhere between 99-99.5% of the 5e player base just doesn't care about trying to abuse the game to get extra Sorcery Points through short rest casting classes by avoiding long resting.

I have a really hard time imagining the amount of people who care are any more numerous than that.

JackPhoenix
2017-12-20, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure.

A couple people cared enough to post in here just to discredit him rather than risking what he might say.

What? I honestly don't know what are you trying to say.

Unoriginal
2017-12-20, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure.

A couple people cared enough to post in here just to discredit him rather than risking what he might say.

I'm not discrediting him. Mike Mearls is an important person for 5e, and I value his contribution.

The thing is, it is WotC's official policy that when rules are concerned, only Crawford's explanations, and only when he uses his twitter account, are considered official.

Willie the Duck
2017-12-21, 06:58 AM
So was anything of importance revealed? Anyone know? Care?

rooneg
2017-12-21, 07:42 AM
So was anything of importance revealed? Anyone know? Care?

No, not really. If you're into reading tea leaves there were some statements you might interpret as hints about forthcoming content, but it's nowhere near clear.