PDA

View Full Version : WIldshape: Going straight from bear to wolf?

The Cats
2017-12-19, 12:17 AM
Can you wildshape from one form, straight to the other, without reverting back to humanoid first?

I think the answer is yes, but I want to make sure I am reading this correctly.

Wildshape isn't a spell, so no issues with the no-casting clause, and you "retain the benefit of any features from your class... and can use them if your new form is physically capable of doing so." Wildshape doesn't require you do anything, you just BAM turn into a bunny, so no issue with physical limitations.

You can revert to your normal form early using a bonus action. Doesn't say anything about having to in order to switch forms.

So the answer seems to be obviously yes. It's yes right? Why am I so unsure of this?

Kane0
2017-12-19, 12:22 AM
Sure, why not.

I admit I haven't checked the book but it sounds perfectly reasonable.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-19, 12:24 AM
You retain your Class features so you are correct, gonna cost your Action or Bonus Action depending on your Circle. Which I'm sure you knew but just covering bases.

ad_hoc
2017-12-19, 01:14 AM
You can even change from a bear to a bear.

nickl_2000
2017-12-19, 08:39 AM
Sure you can, but making the second change does burn your second use of Wildshape per rest.

The Cats
2017-12-20, 12:33 PM
Aw man my druid player's gonna be so mad when I tell him the annoying recurring villain got away because I misunderstood the wildshape rules.

damascoplay
2017-12-20, 01:15 PM
You're correct. Just don't forget that you still use a wildshape in order to do that.

nickl_2000
2017-12-20, 01:15 PM
Aw man my druid player's gonna be so mad when I tell him the annoying recurring villain got away because I misunderstood the wildshape rules.

Don't retcon it, if you were in a game where the villain got killed off then the villain got killed. Just remember that rule in the future and make someone else. The villain's boss, the villains sibling, whatever.

The Cats
2017-12-20, 02:25 PM
Don't retcon it, if you were in a game where the villain got killed off then the villain got killed. Just remember that rule in the future and make someone else. The villain's boss, the villains sibling, whatever.

You have it backwards: The villain got away because I wouldn't let the druid shift straight from wolf to crocodile (giving him a grappling bite).

nickl_2000
2017-12-20, 02:26 PM
You have it backwards: The villain got away because I wouldn't let the druid shift straight from wolf to crocodile (giving him a grappling bite).

Oh :) Well in that case give the Druid something cool as an apology. For example a cloak of billowing that will fit them no matter what wildshape they are in. Because what is more epic than a snarling Dire Wolf with a billowing cloak.

The Cats
2017-12-20, 02:32 PM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/crocodile-animal-dressed-as-superhero-cape-comic-masked-vigilante-character-part-fauna-super-powers-flat-cartoon-81379616.jpg

nickl_2000
2017-12-20, 02:33 PM
That's it exactly.