PDA

View Full Version : Gloom Stalker build help

Crgaston
2017-12-19, 01:26 AM
Ok, so building a Ranger for an upcoming campaign. Starting at L3,
Vuman, 12,16,14,10,14,8, Archery FS,
Magic initiate Druid for Mending (fixing arrows), Control Flames (dousing torches) and probably Entangle, since it’s sort of an AOE debuff and not on the Ranger list.

I’ll want Sharpshooter, but when? Should I take it before or after my Dex bump, or should I forget/postpone MI and take it as my bonus feat?

Also, is Entangle my best MI choice here? Or should I take goodberry? Neither one scales, but Entangle is concentration and so are most of the good Ranger spells. Or something else?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

lunaticfringe
2017-12-19, 01:45 AM
Goodberry is a Ranger Spell, though I guess I could see the benefit of using free 1/Day. But they do last 24 hrs...

Mending & Control Flames are on the Wizard list. Find Familiar->Adv->Sharpshooter. Just throwing that out there.

Crgaston
2017-12-19, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the input!

Yep, taking Goodberry via MI would free up a ranger slot, and since they last so long I wouldn’t need to cast it more than 1/day. So, that’s my reasoning there. And I had not thought about the familiar... my last 2 out of 3 characters have had a familiar. They are pretty freaking awesome. I’ll mull it over some more :)

sflame56
2017-12-19, 03:05 AM
Ok, so building a Ranger for an upcoming campaign. Starting at L3,
Vuman, 12,16,14,10,14,8, Archery FS,
Magic initiate Druid for Mending (fixing arrows), Control Flames (dousing torches) and probably Entangle, since it’s sort of an AOE debuff and not on the Ranger list.

I’ll want Sharpshooter, but when? Should I take it before or after my Dex bump, or should I forget/postpone MI and take it as my bonus feat?

Also, is Entangle my best MI choice here? Or should I take goodberry? Neither one scales, but Entangle is concentration and so are most of the good Ranger spells. Or something else?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Sharpshooter is amazing in general and the earlier you can get it the better. With magic initiate you don't get to much but find familiar which allows you to get advantage with the help action and Its ok but I recommend for a better starting skill would be sharpshooter (so its out of way and you just put points into dex), Lucky (good for everyone), or skulker (your pretty good at hiding and this helps more). If you go for the cantrips with magic initiate mostly light and guidance are the best. Light since you cast it on an arrow and shoot it as far as you can and guidance since it gives 1d4 extra to all skill checks.

If anything you want sharpshooter at the latest by lvl 4 since its so good. Getting it now gives you room for the dex boost with gives ya +8 to hit (+3 if you take sharpshooter shot) and next lvl you will have a +9 and extra attack. Its super good maxing dex fast on an archer ranger. Also more ac early can help out a lot.