PDA

View Full Version : An OD&D hangup addressed

ZorroGames
2017-12-19, 08:48 AM
Back when I started White Box D&D one of the local game settings were that almost all “evil” races (though there were only Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic) tended to eating other sentient races to some degree. We called it cannibalism but let us avoid a term the nit-picking types will derail a thread over, please.

BLUF: In 5e how many races/creatures, other than Gnolls who will eating anything carbon based flesh, that are sentient, specifically eat other sentient races?

Specifically the off line discussion centered on the kobold and Goblin-Orc-Hobgoblin groups with a pedantic side trip to Ogres and Giants.

Unoriginal
2017-12-19, 09:25 AM
Well, it will depends of the community and of the circumstances.

For exemple, the Volo's make clear that Orcs would raid villages for ressources, killing those who resist but not the others, rather than killing everyone and use them as food (although it might be simple pragmatism).

Meanwhile, in the hostile jungles of Chult, the local goblins are said (or at least implied) to eat humanoids (but then again, I' pretty sure human cannibals live near them). On the other hand, the same book does mention that goblin tribes around the world do trade with other humanoids when they're not attacking said humanoids.

So, the question is less "which species" and more "which socio-cultural group".

In general, a good number of sapient beings will eat other sapient beings, including dragons, manticores and the like, but it's more "will eat anything, including anyone".

As a whole, goblins (and bugbears/hobgoblins) and orcs aren't specificaly people-eaters.

On the other hand, Lizardfolk are specificaly noted to eat any beings that enters their hunting ground, including humanoids they kill or capture.

Naanomi
2017-12-19, 09:25 AM
Now that ‘Monster cultures’ have matured, I’d say... it depends. Some orc groups would, others wouldn’t; just like other humanoids (athasian Halflings...).

On average, I’d say it is uncommon amongst goblinoids, common when other food supplies are low among Orcs; and normal practice among giant-kin, ogres, trolls, Lizardman...