PDA

View Full Version : Pit Fiend Monster Class?

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-19, 09:37 AM
The adventure I'm going to run has a seriously-weakened pit fiend in it, and want to have statistics for if the PCs end up making a bargain which puts it in their service. (Which is something I think would be neat, and hence want to be able to do.) I could just ad-hoc something together, but if I could find a pit fiend monster class, I could have more logic behind it and have the pit fiend slowly, quietly increase in power over time without the PCs knowing...until it's too late.

So, does anyone know where I could find a pit fiend monster class?

Hal0Badger
2017-12-19, 09:48 AM
I think devils develop from one kind to another, like a successful horned devils is promoted to pit fiend. So I don't think they would have monster-classes, since there is no such thing as a young pit fiend or something similar

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-19, 09:57 AM
It's not a young pit fiend, it's a pit fiend which was weakened by magitek slowly draining its power for a few milennia. I don't think it would revert to being a lesser demon, any more than an adventurer who got enough negative levels would go through puberty in reverse.

(Also, WotC did make a few monster classes for fiends. There's a couple in Manual of the Planes, and Savage Species has a few more.)

RoboEmperor
2017-12-19, 10:31 AM
Pit Fiends are LA:- so there is no savage species progression for it, nor is it possible to homebrew one.

Devil's promotions/demotions is related to their performance not their power. If the weakened Pit Fiend still comes out ahead (aka not slain by the PCs) he will not be demoted, but if he is defeated by the PCs he probably will.

If you want to stick to RAW, add negative levels to him and all the penalties they bring. Negative levels give a penalty to everything.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-19, 10:40 AM
Not true! Negative levels don't reduce the availability or power of its SLAs or other special abilities. Which, okay, I could do something with those myself, but I'd rather check around to see if someone's invented the wheel before getting out my chisel.

Also, when have homebrewers taken "This can't be used as a PC race by the core rules" as an obstacle?

Lapak
2017-12-19, 10:50 AM
Not true! Negative levels don't reduce the availability or power of its SLAs or other special abilities. Which, okay, I could do something with those myself, but I'd rather check around to see if someone's invented the wheel before getting out my chisel.

Also, when have homebrewers taken "This can't be used as a PC race by the core rules" as an obstacle?Would it be ridiculous (ok, it would be, but still) to suggest that you literally regress the Pit Fiend by using, say, 1st edition stats for him? The changes in expected power between editions mean that pit fiends were substantially weaker in almost every by-the-numbers aspect (hit points, damage, to-hit, special abilities, etc.) compared to later versions.

Deadline
2017-12-19, 01:12 PM
Oslecamo homebrewed a bunch of monster classes over on the Min/Max boards. I recall a Pit Fiend being on there somewhere. Check it out, it may be what you are looking for.

Also, if you are looking for homebrew specifically, I think there's a GitP forum for that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design).

GreatWyrmGold
2017-12-19, 02:26 PM
Oslecamo homebrewed a bunch of monster classes over on the Min/Max boards. I recall a Pit Fiend being on there somewhere. Check it out, it may be what you are looking for.
Yup! (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1832.0) Looks pretty solid. Thanks!

Also, if you are looking for homebrew specifically, I think there's a GitP forum for that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design).
...I thought I did post it there...