View Full Version : Question about reducing Succubus ECL

ChaosStar
2017-12-19, 09:57 AM
While looking through a topic about how to make a Succubus count as humanoid I got an idea for a character. A Succubus fell in love with a Human and decided to live a normal life. They had a daughter and the mother decided, since she was pretending to be a Human, to place a seal on the daughter to seal away the child's demonic abilities and features. This concept assumes a setting in which any daughter of a Succubus is also Succubus. How far can a Succubus' ECL be reduced this way? How many abilities should be removed? I was thinking no Flight, no Ethereal Jaunt, no Greater Teleport, no Summon Demon, no Change Shape, reduced Stat modifiers, reduced Skill modifiers, Caster Level equal to HD, 1/day Charm Monster, Detect Thoughts, and Suggestion, Native Outsider type.

KillianHawkeye
2017-12-19, 07:17 PM
How far can a Succubus' ECL be reduced this way? How many abilities should be removed? I was thinking no Flight, no Ethereal Jaunt, no Greater Teleport, no Summon Demon, no Change Shape, reduced Stat modifiers, reduced Skill modifiers, Caster Level equal to HD, 1/day Charm Monster, Detect Thoughts, and Suggestion, Native Outsider type.

Since you're basically creating an entirely new creature here, I wouldn't worry too much about basing the ECL on the Succubus.

There were a few guidelines for determining Level Adjustment for custom-made creatures or for creatures that weren't given one, but I don't remember how comprehensive they were or where they even might exist today. You might check Savage Species, or they might have been in one of WotC's web articles from back in the day, or possibly even an old forum post of stuff somebody just figured out. I'm sure somebody else will come along who's more knowledgeable about defining a creature's ECL.

Malimar
2017-12-19, 07:22 PM
I would just represent this using however many levels in the Savage Species monster class you feel best represent the concept. (Note that the 3.0 SS version has a couple differences from the final 3.5e Succubus monster, so you'd have to tweak it in a couple ways.)

Bakkan
2017-12-19, 07:35 PM
You might get more experienced responses in the Homebrew forum, but here's my attempt at putting mechanics to what you're describing.

Lesser Succubus Racial Traits

Native outsider
+2 Intelligence, +4 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
Medium size
A lesser succubus' base land speed is 30 feet
+2 natural armor
+2 bonus on saving throws vs. poison and electricity effects
+2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks
Spell-like abilities: 1/day: charm monster, detect thoughts, suggestion. Caster level equal to character level.
Level adjustment +0

I gutted most of the succubus' power, but I was aiming for a +0 LA, 0 RHD creature. Feel free to use or adjust as you see fit.

Thurbane
2017-12-19, 07:36 PM
You could probably have a look at the WotC variant Half-Fiend articles for some guidance on how to create a Half-Succubus: (Half)-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x&page=3)