PDA

View Full Version : Psionics: making fusion permanent

Drache64
2017-12-19, 05:25 PM
Playing a level 20 Psion/Thrall herd, could one:
Fuse with their Thrall
Then cast astral seed

Then upon death bring yourself back as the fused version after growing a body for 10 days.

RAW:
"The body’s constituent parts are pulled as ectoplasm from the Astral Plane, then slowly molded and transformed into a living, breathing body that is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed"

Why?/example:
My Character is minmax with massive stats in INT, WIS, CHA and very low STR, DEX, CON. I have mind switch, true, but the idea of being fused with my gunslinger Thrall with high DEX and CON seems pretty cool.

I also possess the powers of incarnate and reality revision.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-12-19, 05:33 PM
Yes, that would work just fine. If you want to avoid losing a hit die, get an extra one first, by changing shape to a barghest (greater metamorphosis, you need Feed (Su)), temporarily energy draining yourself to 7 HD, and feeding on three corpses to get 8 HD.

Drache64
2017-12-19, 06:12 PM
Yes, that would work just fine. If you want to avoid losing a hit die, get an extra one first, by changing shape to a barghest (greater metamorphosis, you need Feed (Su)), temporarily energy draining yourself to 7 HD, and feeding on three corpses to get 8 HD.

Follow up question: could I mind control another character and then do the same? Or even do the same with another player character?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-12-19, 06:16 PM
Follow up question: could I mind control another character and then do the same? Or even do the same with another player character?
There are limits to fusion: the target must be willing, of the same size or smaller, of the same type, and corporeal. Anything that can be made to satisfy those requirements can be fusioned with.

Drache64
2017-12-19, 06:24 PM
There are limits to fusion: the target must be willing, of the same size or smaller, of the same type, and corporeal. Anything that can be made to satisfy those requirements can be fusioned with.

Lol Psionics are messed up

Calthropstu
2017-12-19, 07:55 PM
I smell cheese. Does anyone else smell cheese?

lord_khaine
2017-12-19, 08:15 PM
RAW:
"The body’s constituent parts are pulled as ectoplasm from the Astral Plane, then slowly molded and transformed into a living, breathing body that is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed"

I would not say you could do this. If it is an -exact- duplicate of your body as you manifest astral seed, then its a body that in x minutte will split into you and your gunslinger.

Calthropstu
2017-12-19, 08:41 PM
I would not say you could do this. If it is an -exact- duplicate of your body as you manifest astral seed, then its a body that in x minutte will split into you and your gunslinger.

Agreed. I don't see trying to cheese the rules like this working under any competent gm. Although, I do see this as an interesting way to clone your thrall gunslinger. Would lead to all sorts of whacky rules connundrums.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-12-20, 10:32 AM
Yay, another astral seed discussion.

lord_khaine, the "exact duplicate" clause is later expanded upon. It won't copy the fusion effect, in the same way resurrection does not copy active spell effects, which typically end at death (at least, functionally) due to type restrictions (most buff spells cannot target objects, such as corpses--corpses are immune to their effects, if you will). Only the abilities gained from fusion that you had at the time of manifesting astral seed carry over.

The important difference between resurrection + polymorph and astral seed + polymorph is that the latter keeps your soul in a storage crystal, creates a duplicate body from blueprints stored in the astral seed, then places your soul inside that newly-created body. Your old body becomes inert the moment your soul enters the storage crystal. That means the new body has never experienced polymorph, and can't in any sense be considered to carry the same effect your body was carrying when you manifested astral seed.

It works RAW. It works fluffwise. It's cheesy. That's all there is to it.

Snowbluff
2017-12-20, 10:38 AM

I agree. Exact duplicate would mean effect on it would also be duplicated.