PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Spellcasting Methods

Greywander
2017-12-19, 07:02 PM
I always like having more customization options, and I know some people miss the true Vancian magic from older editions, so I thought I'd try to whip up some alternative styles of casting spells.

Vancian Magic
When you prepare your spells, you prepare exactly one spell for each of your spell slots. You may then cast that spell once using that spell slot. If you wish to cast a spell more than once, you must prepare it using multiple spell slots. If you wish to cast a spell at a higher level, you must prepare it using a higher level spell slot. You regain expended spell slots at the end of a long rest and may prepare a new set of spells.
Vancian spellcasters have more spell slots than most spellcasters. Once you gain spell slots of a particular level, you have one extra spell slot of that level. You also have extra spell slots based on your spellcasting ability score modifier, with one extra spell slot for each spell level less than or equal to your spellcasting ability score modifier. For example, if you are a Vancian wizard with an Intelligence of 16 (and thus a +3 modifier), then you would have one extra spell slot for each of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level. These spell slots are available from 1st level.

A classical Vancian caster could easily be reflavored as a someone who needs to cast their spells from scrolls. They can't cast spells on-demand, but given time to prepare can scribe a certain number of scrolls during a long rest. For some reason, they can't save unused scrolls, maybe because they're only carrying a limited number of them in the first place, but the scrolls aren't consumed on casting, merely erased.

Post Vancian Magic
The default spellcasting. You prepare a list of spells, and may cast any prepared spell as many times as you like as long as you have spell slots of the appropriate level remaining.

Spell Points
For lack of a better name. Found on pages 288-289 of the DMG. You prepare your spells as normal, and have a pool of spell points you can spend to cast spells. Spells of higher levels cost more spell points.

Wild Magic
You prepare your spells as normal, but you don't cast them using spell slots. Instead, to cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you must make a special spellcasting check. For this check, you roll 1 to 4 dice and add the results together, and must beat a DC of 3 * the spell's level in order to successfully cast the spell. You don't add your proficiency bonus or spellcasting modifier to this check. Starting at 1st level, you use d6s for spellcasting checks, and these dice increase to d8s at 5th level, d10s at 11th level, and d12s at 17th level.
If you roll doubles, triples, or quadruples, you trigger a wild magic surge. This is independent of whether you successfully cast the spell or not. Rolling doubles causes a minor wild magic surge, which typically results in inconvenient but temporary effects. Rolling triples causes a major wild magic surge, which can result in harmful and permanent effects. Rolling quadruples results in a catastrophic wild magic surge, which can result in instant death. If you want to avoid wild magic surges, you can choose to only roll one die for your spellcasting check, but this makes it harder to successfully cast your spells.

This one was inspired by the system used in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. In that game you could cast as many spells as you wanted, but each casting carried a big risk.

Blood Magic
You prepare your spells as normal, but you don't cast them using spell slots. Instead, you spend hit points equal to 4 * the spell's level for each spell you cast of 1st level and higher. Casting spells this way bypasses temporary hit points, and if you cast a spell that restores hit points, you can't restore more hit points than the cost of the spell.
Alternatively, the hit point cost can be determined by rolling a number of d6s equal to the level of the spell being cast.

This would work great with a class that used CON as its spellcasting ability score.

Greed Magic
You prepare your spells as normal, but you don't cast them using spell slots. Instead, you spend gold to cast each spell of 1st level and higher. The base cost for each spell is 2 raised to the power of 1 + the level of the spell. The total cost is the base cost + your character level in gold. You must be carrying this gold on your person.

This one was somewhat inspired by the Yojimbo summon from Final Fantasy X. I'm really shaky on what the gold cost for spells should be, and I feel like the cost should increase as you level up, as being a higher level makes it exponentially easier to get gold (meaning you can cast loads more spells), justified by making whatever entities that grant you your spellcasting demand a higher price when they know you can afford to pay. Also, I feel like it's easily abuseable, as you can get theoretically infinite spellcasting by having a theoretically infinite amount of gold. It's nice and flavorful for dragon spellcasters, though.

Death Magic
Pact magic alternative. Instead of regaining spell slots after a short rest, you regain one expended spell slot by killing a sapient creature. You can also regain expended spell slots by finishing a long rest.

Anyway, what are some alternative magic systems you've thought of?

JackPhoenix
2017-12-19, 09:07 PM
Modified Spell Points
Spellpoints as usual, but only sorcerers and creatures with innate casting (who also use spell points for their abilities) get them back on long rest. Anyone else can leech magic from other casters to restore his own. Warlocks and clerics use pact magic, which doesn't interact with spell points at all... it's not "their" magic, they channel the power of gods and similar. Some special locations may be also used to restore spell points.

Never actually used, just an idea for half-baked setting I had.

clash
2017-12-20, 08:58 AM
Battle Magic is my personal creation
At the start of each turn you gain back a certain amount of mana indicated by your level. Implemented here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500635-Battlemage-New-Base-Class

The_Jette
2017-12-20, 10:04 AM
Modified Spell Points
Spellpoints as usual, but only sorcerers and creatures with innate casting (who also use spell points for their abilities) get them back on long rest. Anyone else can leech magic from other casters to restore his own. Warlocks and clerics use pact magic, which doesn't interact with spell points at all... it's not "their" magic, they channel the power of gods and similar. Some special locations may be also used to restore spell points.

Never actually used, just an idea for half-baked setting I had.

I could see using spell points for Warlocks and Clerics being justified as the deity/patron sends a specific amount of power to them per day. The Cleric that can refresh spell slots as a bonus ability simply "re-absorbs" some of the power that was expelled while casting. And, the Warlock has the same amount of power inside himself all day, and needs to refresh his own inner willpower before he can continue using it; which is why all spells he casts are at the same spell level, even though he has spell points and should be able to cast spells at a lower level. Basically, when he spends spell points, it's 100% or nothing. That burns you out fast.

JackPhoenix
2017-12-20, 11:32 AM
I could see using spell points for Warlocks and Clerics being justified as the deity/patron sends a specific amount of power to them per day. The Cleric that can refresh spell slots as a bonus ability simply "re-absorbs" some of the power that was expelled while casting. And, the Warlock has the same amount of power inside himself all day, and needs to refresh his own inner willpower before he can continue using it; which is why all spells he casts are at the same spell level, even though he has spell points and should be able to cast spells at a lower level. Basically, when he spends spell points, it's 100% or nothing. That burns you out fast.

My reasoning is that the cleric should've been using pact magic instead of the current pseudo-Vancian casting from the beginning. It makes more sense to me than using spell slots: pact magic spells are always cast at the highest possible level- makes sense, both cleric and warlock channel the magic of a vastly more powerful entity, god's (or archfiend's) spells should be as powerful as possible, however, limit is how much energy the mortal can handle, both in the sense of how powerful the spell can be, and how often it can be done without taking at least some rest (i.e., short rest is enough, as they don't have to build up their own energy).

Laserlight
2017-12-20, 05:15 PM
Wild Magic
You prepare your spells as normal, but you don't cast them using spell slots. Instead, to cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you must make a special spellcasting check. For this check, you roll 1 to 4 dice and add the results together, and must beat a DC of 3 * the spell's level in order to successfully cast the spell. You don't add your proficiency bonus or spellcasting modifier to this check. Starting at 1st level, you use d6s for spellcasting checks, and these dice increase to d8s at 5th level, d10s at 11th level, and d12s at 17th level.
If you roll doubles, triples, or quadruples, you trigger a wild magic surge. This is independent of whether you successfully cast the spell or not. Rolling doubles causes a minor wild magic surge, which typically results in inconvenient but temporary effects. Rolling triples causes a major wild magic surge, which can result in harmful and permanent effects. Rolling quadruples results in a catastrophic wild magic surge, which can result in instant death. If you want to avoid wild magic surges, you can choose to only roll one die for your spellcasting check, but this makes it harder to successfully cast your spells.
This one was inspired by the system used in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. In that game you could cast as many spells as you wanted, but each casting carried a big risk.

Never played WHFR but I'd like something like this. Maybe a bonus to the roll if you use Verbal, Somatic, Material, extra time, assistants, special location, etc -- give a reason for those rituals that have to be performed at the first new moon of winter while eight assistants sacrifice an apple while reciting the Nymphonomicon out loud.

Greywander
2017-12-26, 07:03 AM
Never played WHFR but I'd like something like this. Maybe a bonus to the roll if you use Verbal, Somatic, Material, extra time, assistants, special location, etc -- give a reason for those rituals that have to be performed at the first new moon of winter while eight assistants sacrifice an apple while reciting the Nymphonomicon out loud.
I created a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mGTzNwOW7VFd-KcQCeU8YjPzSCJQ7pmiS7BBu72FFeM/edit?usp=sharing) with the various spellcasting methods I posts in this thread, just so I could find them again if I wanted to use them. I added a bunch of stuff for wild magic, including addressing rituals and components (rituals don't require a spellcasting check, not using components increases the spellcasting DC). More importantly, I completed several tables for wild magic surges, which might admittedly still need to be expanded.

Minor wild magic surges were originally supposed to be temporary inconveniences, but I ended up cannibalizing a "mischief table" that already had roughly 50 effects from a previous unfinished project I had lying around (essentially a "Halloween paladin", more or less, no it wasn't as great as it sounds). These effects are certain to bring a sort of inconvenience should they happen in the middle of combat or during social interactions, but they're mostly fluff with no mechanical effects. Since wild magic users no longer have to worry about recharging spell slots via long rests, I made most of the effect persist until the end of a long rest in order to motivate the wild mage to take long rests.

Major wild magic surges are meant to be harmful and permanent. Most of them aren't in danger of killing you unless you're already low on HP, and many of them can be reversed with a high level spell such as greater restoration, regenerate, or wish.

Catastrophic wild magic surges are about half "save or die" effects, and some various other good and bad effects. The bad effects almost always put you in mortal danger.

Each table also includes a few good effects, but always less than there are bad ones, so triggering a wild magic surge on purpose is generally not a good idea (minor surges are still mostly harmless). For integrity's sake, I should also mention that I pulled a couple effect from WHFR, and from the wild magic surge table in the PHB, although I may have tweaked some of them.

The_Jette
2017-12-26, 09:36 AM
I created a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mGTzNwOW7VFd-KcQCeU8YjPzSCJQ7pmiS7BBu72FFeM/edit?usp=sharing) with the various spellcasting methods I posts in this thread, just so I could find them again if I wanted to use them. I added a bunch of stuff for wild magic, including addressing rituals and components (rituals don't require a spellcasting check, not using components increases the spellcasting DC). More importantly, I completed several tables for wild magic surges, which might admittedly still need to be expanded.

Minor wild magic surges were originally supposed to be temporary inconveniences, but I ended up cannibalizing a "mischief table" that already had roughly 50 effects from a previous unfinished project I had lying around (essentially a "Halloween paladin", more or less, no it wasn't as great as it sounds). These effects are certain to bring a sort of inconvenience should they happen in the middle of combat or during social interactions, but they're mostly fluff with no mechanical effects. Since wild magic users no longer have to worry about recharging spell slots via long rests, I made most of the effect persist until the end of a long rest in order to motivate the wild mage to take long rests.

Major wild magic surges are meant to be harmful and permanent. Most of them aren't in danger of killing you unless you're already low on HP, and many of them can be reversed with a high level spell such as greater restoration, regenerate, or wish.

Catastrophic wild magic surges are about half "save or die" effects, and some various other good and bad effects. The bad effects almost always put you in mortal danger.

Each table also includes a few good effects, but always less than there are bad ones, so triggering a wild magic surge on purpose is generally not a good idea (minor surges are still mostly harmless). For integrity's sake, I should also mention that I pulled a couple effect from WHFR, and from the wild magic surge table in the PHB, although I may have tweaked some of them.

So, what happens if you roll 4 dice for it, and get two sets of doubles? Is it a double minor? Or does it get upgraded to a major?

Greywander
2017-12-26, 03:47 PM
You would trigger two minor wild magic surges at the same time. Which, considering the alternatives, isn't actually that bad.