PDA

View Full Version : 5th Edition vs Starfinder

Chaosticket
2017-12-19, 10:39 PM
Both games are successors to Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition. They both try to correct perceived flaws in the original game system. How they the do so is radically different.

1 Starfinder starts off with with exchanging almost all the starting races with aliens.
2 None of the classes are retained but role equivalents are introduced.
3 Feats still are earned every other level but there are far fewer feat chain problems.
4 Starting statistics are are 10 in every score with 10 free points to place in any area at a 1-1 basis allowing up to 18 after racial bonuses.
5 Ability scores increases are changed to every 5th level and you can pick 4 statistics to increase at a time with 2 points gained if the score is low enough.
6 Each class by default gains between 4 and 8 skill points per level up to spend on any skill.
7 Two new resources are introduced, Stamina and Resolve Points. Stamina acts as Temporary Hit Points that are regained by resting for 10 minutes and spending a Resolve Point. Resolve points are a pool increased my increasing a classes Primary statistic.

1 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons keeps all the original races with the lesser known Tiefling and Dragonborn added. The races are subdivided with different bonuses.
2 The classes are retained with the Warlock being new. The classes themselves are changed quite a bit and have their own powers divided between exclusive subclasses.
3 Feats are gained on most classes every at level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 18. The Feats are radically different from any other version.
4 Starting stats are 8, they can be raised as high as 15 before racial bonuses but at a diminishing return.
5 Ability Scores increases are gained from some Feats but a more are gained in exchange for losing a Feat
6 Skills are removed and replaced with Skill proficiencies that are affected by character level, and gained by certain race, class, background, and feat combinations.
7 Some abilities can regained by Resting for at least an hour.

This is a work in progress

JackPhoenix
2017-12-19, 11:22 PM
Starfinder doesn't try to "correct the flaws" of 3e. It is a game with different aesthetics and purpose using the same basic system modified to fit that purpose. It tries to correct the flaws of 3e in the same way D20 Modern, Star Wars SAGA edition, Conan d20 or one of the hundreds d20 OGL RPGs based on the same system.

While 5e may try to "correct the flaws" of 3e, but it's almost completely different game using the same aesthetics and terminology, but very different mechanics.

Kane0
2017-12-19, 11:59 PM
Just on the side, are starfinder threads supposed to fall under 3.PF/d20 section? I've been having trouble finding much on it.

strangebloke
2017-12-20, 12:31 AM
If you make another of these threads every few days I'm going to become rather cranky.

Kane0
2017-12-20, 12:46 AM
Oh wow yeah didn't notice. Two 'vs edition' and a tier thread. Just missing alignment and that's bingo in the first week.

Chaosticket
2017-12-20, 12:49 AM
Okay is the article a good assessment or what? Im looking at improving it and feedback would be welcome.

Kane0
2017-12-20, 01:18 AM
Well these might offer some insights:

https://youtu.be/t5gSpc2LDmU
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGKJMlzabIkqk-AgO0BzD1TjZ52shVK9

SaintRidley
2017-12-20, 01:21 AM
Okay is the article a good assessment or what? Im looking at improving it and feedback would be welcome.

Considering it's little more than a list, calling it an article is ridiculously ambitious.

jojo
2017-12-20, 01:27 AM

No, your article is not a good assessment.

DnD Next and Starfinder are from different publishers, so you're comparing apples and oranges right off the bat.

DnD Next and Starfinder are both a generation removed from 3rd Edition DnD. DnD Next makes improvements drawn from lessons learned from 4th Edition DnD while Starfinder - mechanically - makes improvements drawn from lessons learned from the Pathfinder Role Playing Game.

Finally Starfinder as a game exists within a different genre than DnD Next, being science-fiction/fantasy rather than pure fantasy.

For the reasons listed above, you're proceeding from a flawed premise.

Knaight
2017-12-20, 01:39 AM
DnD Next and Starfinder are from different publishers, so you're comparing apples and oranges right off the bat.

Different publishers doesn't necessarily mean much, although I'm very much with you regarding the rest of the points (particularly genre - Starfinder isn't a fix if it's not intended to cover the same material in the first place).

War_lord
2017-12-20, 01:40 AM

It's not an article, it's a list of differences based on false core concepts. 5th edition is not trying to "correct perceived flaws in" 3rd edition, because they're entirely different systems. 5th edition was, in my opinion, a response to the criticisms of 4th edition, and an attempt to win new fans after many of the 3/3.5 crowd left for Pathfinder because of the radical new direction of 4th edition.

Commercially speaking it competes with Pathfinder, but in terms of design, it's not trying to be an improved 3.5, that wouldn't have been a smart move.

Starfinder is a science fantasy adoption of Pathfinder and has even less in common with 5th edition.

Unoriginal
2017-12-20, 06:35 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what is your goal with this thread?

Chaosticket
2017-12-20, 09:28 AM
Can this thread be moved to a different area, in "Forum: Roleplaying Games"?

ZorroGames
2017-12-20, 10:07 AM
Can this thread be moved to a different area, in "Forum: Roleplaying Games"?

Or do what I am going to do - just move on and ignore it.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-20, 12:40 PM
Both games are successors to Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition. Yes but each is one generation removed.

They both try to correct perceived flaws in the original game system. I don't think that's true at all. I think both try to be as commercially successful as possible.

5e has tried that by reducing unnecessary complications and reducing barriers between new customers and the game, while also reviving interest in players that dropped out after older editions.

Starfinder has tried that by making a version of the Popular Pathfinder game in a Space setting.

KorvinStarmast
2017-12-20, 02:47 PM
This is a work in progress Hmm, I read it as 'This is me comparing an apple to a golf club."