PDA

View Full Version : Which Monk Tradition is Best?

Zorahai
2017-12-20, 01:35 AM
I have a Goliath monk who I use in a public Adventurers League game and I just got to level 3. Which monastic tradition do you think is best?

We’re doing the Tomb of Annihilation on Meat-Grinder (Death saves are 15 but we get 15% more XP and gold)

I’m using the PHB

Stats:
Str: 15
Dex: 15
Con: 13
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Char: 10

Proficiencies:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Perception
Stealth
Survival

Background: Outlander

Harrysonford
2017-12-20, 02:20 AM
I would say Way of the Long Death from SCAG, it’s pretty cool, and it helps with the whole “very likely to die” thing

Quoz
2017-12-20, 03:28 AM
I'm at a similar point for an upcoming game myself. It depends on where you want to focus and what your party needs are. I'm looking for a battlefield control grappler, so I will probably go open hand for their flurry rider effects. I am still undecided though, I may go drunken master for the added mobility or kensai if my GM will let me get improvised weapon (read: grappled enemies) as a monk weapon.

I would base the decision mostly on the front loaded abilities if you are in a high-lethality campaign. the goodies at 3rd are ones you know you will use, and you can probably expect to see the 6th level ones as well. Odds are (for my group and playstyle at least) that beyond that the campaign will end or you will want to multiclass into something else.

jojo
2017-12-20, 03:34 AM
I believe that Tomb of Annihilation both:

1. Caps out around level 11.
2. Is undead/evil heavy.

Front-loading abilities is probably wise. Drunken Master is a mechanically awesome Tradition.

You seem to have already decided on a Grappling Monk. Despite that I'd still suggest you look at the Sun Soul tradition since it's based around Radiant damage even if it is more geared toward ranged attacks.

clem
2017-12-20, 03:36 AM
Given your choice of Goliath, your Adventurer's League PHB + 1 selection is already tied up, leaving you with the monk traditions in the PHB. Of these, I'd say Open Hand is of the most benefit to a Goliath, allowing you to more effectively grapple and shove opponents, as well as other nifty combat techniques.

sflame56
2017-12-20, 03:49 AM
I have an open hand Kenku in tomb and it helps out a lot. Since you can flurry of blows and make them either go prone, push, or not have a reaction helps you far faster then the other two. Second you get amazing abilities and when you hit 11 you will be super hard to kill.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-20, 08:13 AM
4 Elements sucks. My monk is 4 Elements, because I made him before I really understood how the monk class works. He's 17th level, and he's less effective than my 12th level fighter. Don't pick this.

Shadow is okay, but it doesn't sound like it'll be very helpful for your group.

Open Hand is by far your best option, as it will give you plenty of options for grappling, hand-to-hand combat, and Str-based abilities. This works amazingly for a Goliath, and is incidentally the best monk subclass in the PHB over all.

Citan
2017-12-20, 09:17 AM
I have a Goliath monk who I use in a public Adventurers League game and I just got to level 3. Which monastic tradition do you think is best?

We’re doing the Tomb of Annihilation on Meat-Grinder (Death saves are 15 but we get 15% more XP and gold)

I’m using the PHB

Stats:
Str: 15
Dex: 15
Con: 13
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Char: 10

Proficiencies:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Perception
Stealth
Survival

Background: Outlander
Hi!
Since apparently you cannot go Long Death, are gonna fight many undead, and don't have that good of an AC, I'd plus the above suggestion of Sun Soul: you get everything in a nice neat package:
- A radiant ranged attack (you could use javelins and get the same range, but you'd be limited in number of attacks because of the draw rules, plus I guess some undead must be resistant to physical) so you can keep far away from enemies most of the time (you don't have Stunning Strike yet, you have a mediumish AC and CON, so you want to keep distance unless you can isolate 1, max 2 enemies at once).
- A nice AOE for mob clearing.

Scratch that, I don't know what's going wrong with my head today: if you cannot go Long Death, then Sun Soul is obviously out too.

Then honestly each of the PHB Ways has its perks (note that I have no knowledge about the campaign so YMMV)
- Shadow: if you don't have anyone else to get it in your party, Pass Without Trace / Silence may help everyone avoid fights or just sneak around to get the best context for engaging.
- Open Hand: main benefits depends on WIS, but basic undead dont have good saves so, I guess it's good enough? It also uses Ki though, so you may burn it fast, but the "benefit for Ki" is overall the best of all ways for the third level (1 Ki for 2 more attacks and free rider attempts on them).
- 4E: for you, Fangs of Fire Snake (extra reach and fire damage) and Burning Hands (AOE) could be great assets, but it's the more Ki-hungry way.

Basically, if you don't have any specific idea in mind, I'd go Open Hand in your stead: you immediately get an improvment on a basic feature, that lets you use Ki on other things when needed (such as Dash/Dodge). Plus when you get lvl 6 you will have a self-heal effect which will surely help much too. :)

4 Elements sucks. My monk is 4 Elements, because I made him before I really understood how the monk class works. He's 17th level, and he's less effective than my 12th level fighter. Don't pick this.

Shadow is okay, but it doesn't sound like it'll be very helpful for your group.

Open Hand is by far your best option, as it will give you plenty of options for grappling, hand-to-hand combat, and Str-based abilities. This works amazingly for a Goliath, and is incidentally the best monk subclass in the PHB over all.
Since you make such a statement, I dare say you never really understood how the monk class works, or at least how the 4E works. ;)
Because while I perfectly understand how people may be frustrated by this way in first half because of the accrued competition on ki cost, once you get lvl 11 you really get fun tools. And at level 17 just Wall of Fire can make your day, but Wall of Stone and Cone of Cold are pretty good too in the hands of an extremely agile and mobile Monk.