PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Demi-gods?

Trey Bright
2017-12-20, 04:02 AM
I'm planning on my players meeting a demigod of mischief/trickery and I'm wondering if any DM's have done demi-gods before and what their preferred method of creating them is?

Edit:This individual is a character from a different game that earned the rank of demigod. He'll be making at least an appearance if not a big role in a story I'll be building. He'll be lower on the totem pole then a minor god, but above mortal. He's technically a 3.5 character I'm transferring to 5e who attained demigodhood along with his party after saving the land from a great evil.

Unoriginal
2017-12-20, 07:13 AM
I'm planning on my players meeting a demigod of mischief/trickery and I'm wondering if any DM's have done demi-gods before and what their preferred method of creating them is?

Are you talking about someone who is half-god, or the D&D definition of "divine beings who are less powerful that Minor Deities"?

Nettlekid
2017-12-20, 07:41 AM
Use the Empyrean statblock as a base, and maybe toss in some spells based on the pertinent portfolio.

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-12-20, 07:51 AM
I would just use a warlord or other high CR npc to you liking, and give them some fun godly abilities. Basically a mortal with godly powers.

PopeLinus1
2017-12-20, 09:55 AM
Give them a swashbuckler stat block, up their hit points a bit, and let him cast anti magic field at-will.

Zanthy1
2017-12-20, 09:58 AM
I've actually toyed with the idea of having a half-blood race (based off the Percy Jackson books). Every player is one, but the racial modifiers come from which godly parent they pick. If someone has anything for that I'd be greatful.

Unoriginal
2017-12-20, 11:41 AM
Use the Empyrean statblock as a base, and maybe toss in some spells based on the pertinent portfolio.

It'd fit for someone who has a deity as one of their parents.

I would just use a warlord or other high CR npc to you liking, and give them some fun godly abilities. Basically a mortal with godly powers.

Give them a swashbuckler stat block, up their hit points a bit, and let him cast anti magic field at-will.

That's far too weak for a D&D demigod, I'd say.

The_Jette
2017-12-20, 11:47 AM

Why a Demi-God instead of just a straight up God? Then, you don't really have to stat him/her, because Gods can pretty much do what they want. And, if they get found out, that's part of the fun. Have them smirk, give a flourish, and leave; possibly with a parting gift where they were standing as a "reward" for outsmarting them. And, I do mean a reward. Like, if they're just a side quest, some kind of nice magic item. Or, information on the main quest they wouldn't otherwise have had, but that doesn't really do all their work for them. Like, the name of the town that the mysterious main villain grew up in. But, the group doesn't know the significance of the town until they get there. Anyways, what I'm saying is, why do you need stats unless the party is expected to kill it?

the_brazenburn
2017-12-20, 12:56 PM
It'd fit for someone who has a deity as one of their parents.

It depends what type of demigod you mean. If you're talking about a semi-playable PC race, then take ordinary human and give it 1st-level cleric domain features based upon their divine parent. For a semi-divine, celestial being, go with Empyrean.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-20, 01:19 PM
I've actually toyed with the idea of having a half-blood race (based off the Percy Jackson books). Every player is one, but the racial modifiers come from which godly parent they pick. If someone has anything for that I'd be greatful.

Percy gets +1 Wisdom and 1st level Tempest Cleric features, Annabeth gets +1 Int and 1st level Knowledge Cleric, Thalia gets +1 Str and Light Cleric features, Nico gets +1 Cha and Grave Cleric (or maybe Death).

Get the point?

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-12-20, 01:40 PM
I was not aiming for it to be op. It depends on view. If your a fan of Percy Jackson you would picture it as a mortal with a few cool powers. Id use variant human who can control water and fight good. On the other hand you might think of demi-gods as people who are like minor gods, immortal champions and heroes with great power. The trick being finding a balance. It also depends on what role the DM wants him to play.

Unoriginal
2017-12-20, 01:48 PM
I was not aiming for it to be op. It depends on view. If your a fan of Percy Jackson you would picture it as a mortal with a few cool powers.

I like Percy Jackson, but no, it's not a question of what Demigods are in other settings, it's a question of what Demigods are in D&D. Or rather, it's a question of what OP meant.

Id use variant human who can control water and fight good. On the other hand you might think of demi-gods as people who are like minor gods, immortal champions and heroes with great power. The trick being finding a balance. It also depends on what role the DM wants him to play.

What D&D call "Demigods" are the deities who are lower on the totem pole than Minor Deities like Tiamat.

They're still incredibly powerful by mortal standards, though.

Actual half-gods are beings like the Empyreans, but it's possible other half-gods are weaker than that.

I agree it's a question of what the DM want, of course. Would help if they told us what they meant and what they're expecting for the character.

Trey Bright
2017-12-22, 03:15 AM
Are you talking about someone who is half-god, or the D&D definition of "divine beings who are less powerful that Minor Deities"?

I like Percy Jackson, but no, it's not a question of what Demigods are in other settings, it's a question of what Demigods are in D&D. Or rather, it's a question of what OP meant.

What D&D call "Demigods" are the deities who are lower on the totem pole than Minor Deities like Tiamat.

They're still incredibly powerful by mortal standards, though.

Actual half-gods are beings like the Empyreans, but it's possible other half-gods are weaker than that.

I agree it's a question of what the DM want, of course. Would help if they told us what they meant and what they're expecting for the character.

D&D version. Characters that are weaker then a minor god. This individual is a character from a different game that earned the rank of demigod. He'll be making at least an appearance if not a big role in a story I'll be building.