PDA

View Full Version : DM Help System for Designing Artifacts?

unseenmage
2017-12-20, 04:49 AM
Am going to be playing in a demigods game once a month and some sort of framework for designing or making or crafting artifacts could come in handy.

Anything goes, as long as its d20 compatible.

Thurbane
2017-12-21, 04:16 PM
There were guidelines in both 1E (DMG) and 2E (Book of Artifacts), but no official system for 3E that I'm aware of.

There is a 3rd party book Tome of Artifacts (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/25723/Tome-of-Artifacts?it=1), which has a lot of artifacts, but I can't remember if it has a system for creating your own or not.

King of Nowhere
2017-12-21, 04:49 PM
What kind of guideline do you need for artifacts?
they are artifacts. unique items of immense power. normal rules do not apply to them. they can do prettty much anything. So feel free to let your fantasy run wild

rel
2017-12-21, 04:59 PM
You could use the epic spellcasting rules with no cost mitigation as a guide

Zanos
2017-12-21, 05:22 PM
What kind of guideline do you need for artifacts?
they are artifacts. unique items of immense power. normal rules do not apply to them. they can do prettty much anything. So feel free to let your fantasy run wild
Honestly going through printed artifacts most of them suck, follow no real rhyme or reason for design, and require you to jump through a hoop or three to use.

Artifacts are pretty much fiat incarnate. Do what you want. Most of them do replicate some spell effect or multiple spell effects, though.

unseenmage
2017-12-24, 12:35 PM
Could have sworn I'd seen some 3rd party book of artifacts that contained a nominal system for designing the things. :smallfrown:

Just wish me swiss cheese memory would dredge up the details. Too many years and too many books I guess.

legomaster00156
2017-12-24, 06:01 PM
There are no rules for artifacts, because artifacts defy the rules - it's practically their purpose. If you want some super-special effect (powerful or not), and normal rules can't provide it, an artifact can. As mentioned above, they're basically fiat incarnate.