PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Option Selection Help

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-20, 11:27 AM
So my group is starting CoS and we created characters last night. ! member was absent but we know he is making a Dragonborn Paladin. The other 2 members are a Dwarf Gunslinger (Matt Mercer fighter subclass), and a Tortle Coastal Land Druid.

Part of me thought it best to go more arcane blaster but the hexblade made me too excited and I have decided to make a PAM Pact of the Blade Hexblade instead.

We rolled for stats and I got 18, 15, 15, 13, 13, 8. I am going variant Human to start with Polearm master.

I was thinking arranging my stats as such:

STR 13 or 8
DEX 14 (+1 Human)
CON 16 (+1 Human)
INT 8 or 13
WIS 15
CHA 18

Invocations: Devil Sight, Improved Pact weapon

Spells:
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Prestidgitation
Lvl 1: Shield, Hex (for when Darkness is too obstructive)
Lvl 2: Darkness, Misty Step

Spells slots (My DM created a custom spell slot progression for warlock):
Lvl 1: 1 Slot
Lvl 2: 2 slots
Lvl 5: 3 slots
Lvl 8: 4 slots

They will all still refresh on short rest.

SKills: Deception, Acrobatics, Investigation, Intimidation, Survival

And I better off having higher int for skills since I really do not need STR?

Future invocations I am considering Thirsting Blade, Eldritch Smite, Agonizing blast

Spells: I was wondering if there might be a better spell than misty step for 2nd level? Are there better 1st level spells? If I will consistently impose disadvantage on attack rolls against me is shield worth it? Would Hellish Rebuke or Armor of Agathys be better?

Thanks for any input

EDIT: Clarified this is a Pact of the blade Hexblade build.

EDIT 2: Added important information for custom spell slot increases.

Dman
2017-12-20, 11:42 AM
So my group is starting CoS and we created characters last night. ! member was absent but we know he is making a Dragonborn Paladin. The other 2 members are a Dwarf Gunslinger (Matt Mercer fighter subclass), and a Tortle Coastal Land Druid.

Part of me thought it best to go more arcane blaster but the hexblade made me too excited and I have decided to make a PAM Hexblade instead.

We rolled for stats and I got 18, 15, 15, 13, 13, 8. I am going variant Human to start with Polearm master.

I was thinking arranging my stats as such:

STR 13 or 8
DEX 14 (+1 Human)
CON 16 (+1 Human)
INT 8 or 13
WIS 15
CHA 18

Invocations: Devil Sight, Improved Pact weapon

Spells:
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Prestidgitation
Lvl 1: Shield, Hex (for when Darkness is too obstructive)
Lvl 2: Darkness, Misty Step

SKills: Deception, Acrobatics, Investigation, Intimidation, Survival

And I better off having higher int for skills since I really do not need STR?

Future invocations I am considering Thirsting Blade, Eldritch Smite, Agonizing blast

Spells: I was wondering if there might be a better spell than misty step for 2nd level? Are there better 1st level spells? If I will consistently impose disadvantage on attack rolls against me is shield worth it? Would Hellish Rebuke or Armor of Agathys be better?

Thanks for any input

I would go with strength if your up close and personal with enemies you want to be able to escape if they decide to grapple you. I have had low int on a few characters now and its never really been a problem. Invocations I think are fine as is once you get to 5th level though its when you can start to mix and match work out what works best for you. You get Shield for free so theres no need to worry about that otherwise I'm not sure go with what you feel like. you could always mix and match later too.

The Cats
2017-12-20, 11:56 AM
You can escape a grapple using acrobatics or athletics. No need for strength.

I always liked the idea of majorly dumping strength and taking the disguise self invocation, so you can always LOOK like a super-buff guy, but underneath you're like a stick figure.

For spells, I am definitely biased towards misty step just because I think bamfing around the battlefield is cool as heck.

EDIT: He doesn't get shield for free. The warlock expanded spell list just gives you the option to choose the spells. It's not like the cleric's bonus spell list.

rbstr
2017-12-20, 12:13 PM
If you're planning on using darkness a ton I don't know if I'd even bother with a defensive spell. Two reasons:
One, shield is a really inefficient use of a slot higher than level 1.
Two, all the other defensive stuff takes an action to cast. If you want to keep one around Armor of Agathys will scale up. Mirror Image is great against one or two enemies with big to-hit modifiers and thus "scales" based on the enemies you encounter but it's really not very good against many enemies w/o having high dex.
When you get 4th level spells probably drop darkness for Shadow of Moil.

A thing to think about is that your party could probably use some more AOE/Group control capability. You may want to shore that up by keeping something around for that but you don't need more than one at a time really a progression of like Shatter, Hunger of Hadar, Sickening Radiance, finally to Cone of Cold.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-20, 12:39 PM
If you're planning on using darkness a ton I don't know if I'd even bother with a defensive spell. Two reasons:
One, shield is a really inefficient use of a slot higher than level 1.
Two, all the other defensive stuff takes an action to cast. If you want to keep one around Armor of Agathys will scale up. Mirror Image is great against one or two enemies with big to-hit modifiers and thus "scales" based on the enemies you encounter but it's really not very good against many enemies w/o having high dex.
When you get 4th level spells probably drop darkness for Shadow of Moil.

A thing to think about is that your party could probably use some more AOE/Group control capability. You may want to shore that up by keeping something around for that but you don't need more than one at a time really a progression of like Shatter, Hunger of Hadar, Sickening Radiance, finally to Cone of Cold.

What if instead of shield I used Hellish Rebuke? or am I better off saving my reaction to hit with my polearm whether someone is entering or leaving my reach?

I do like having some kind of AoE damage spell and plan on picking up shatter next level. I was considering keeping darkness even after Shadow of Moil in case it could provide some benefit of cover for us in a fleeing scenario.

Tikkun
2017-12-20, 01:21 PM
Just a quick heads-up. You can not take Improved Pact Weapon unless you meet the prerequisite which is Pact of the Blade. You can not obtain Pact of the Blade unless you are level 3 in Warlock. As you did not take Agonizing Blast (why is beyond me), you might want to consider Thief of Five Fates ( gives you the Bane spell at the cost of a slot) or some of the many disguise/deceive or communicate invocations. Then at level 3, when you get PotB, drop it and grab IPW.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-20, 01:23 PM
Just a quick heads-up. You can not take Improved Pact Weapon unless you meet the prerequisite which is Pact of the Blade. You can not obtain Pact of the Blade unless you are level 3 in Warlock. As you did not take Agonizing Blast (why is beyond me), you might want to consider Thief of Five Fates ( gives you the Bane spell at the cost of a slot) or some of the many disguise/deceive or communicate invocations. Then at level 3, when you get PotB, drop it and grab IPW.

I am a level 3 Pact of Blade Hexblade Patron Warlock. I made my Pact weapon a Glaive and took the Polearm Master Feat at 1st level as my Bonus human feat.

EDIT: I have edited the initial post to clarify this point and bolded the clarification. Sorry for the confusion.

Dman
2017-12-20, 09:25 PM
You can escape a grapple using acrobatics or athletics. No need for strength.

I always liked the idea of majorly dumping strength and taking the disguise self invocation, so you can always LOOK like a super-buff guy, but underneath you're like a stick figure.

For spells, I am definitely biased towards misty step just because I think bamfing around the battlefield is cool as heck.

EDIT: He doesn't get shield for free. The warlock expanded spell list just gives you the option to choose the spells. It's not like the cleric's bonus spell list.

My bad that's what I get for making that post at 3 in the morning (although the spell list fine print I didn't know of at all as this will be my first time playing a warlock)

Tikkun
2017-12-20, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Two things to note: (1) both Hex and Darkness require concentration; Armor of Agathys does not (but ceases to cause damage after the 5 temporary HP's it gives you are gone ); (2) you only have 2 spell slots until level 11--when you get three--so be very careful how you use them. In that vein have you considered taking either bard or sorcerer to give you more spell slots? If so a hexblade/shadow sorcerer is a good combo to investigate specifically the Eyes of Darkness skill which provides both Darkness and a form of Devil Sight at the cost of 2 Sorcery Points if you do not want to cast Darkness with a spell slot.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-21, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

Two things to note: (1) both Hex and Darkness require concentration; Armor of Agathys does not (but ceases to cause damage after the 5 temporary HP's it gives you are gone ); (2) you only have 2 spell slots until level 11--when you get three--so be very careful how you use them. In that vein have you considered taking either bard or sorcerer to give you more spell slots? If so a hexblade/shadow sorcerer is a good combo to investigate specifically the Eyes of Darkness skill which provides both Darkness and a form of Devil Sight at the cost of 2 Sorcery Points if you do not want to cast Darkness with a spell slot.

Oh shoot, I forgot to mention this and I would love your input on it! My DM has played a warlock recently and felt very limited by the spell slots. He created a custom spell progression where after lvl 2, I will get an additional spell slot every 3 levels. I believe it is as such:

Lvl 1: 1 slot

It may be shifted to every 4 (I would have to look at the sheet he made).

Also, the Hex and Darkness both taking concentration was something I was thinking about. My thought was there may be instances where Darkness may conflict too heavily with my teams line of sight and in those instances I would use hex instead. Also, there could be social implications were I Hex someone's ability score to allow better results (like insight to counter them seeing through my deception checks).

Do you think dropping shield for Hellish rebuke would be a better idea since it scales and gives me another option for my reaction for if and when they may hit me?

Dman
2017-12-21, 09:55 AM
Oh shoot, I forgot to mention this and I would love your input on it! My DM has played a warlock recently and felt very limited by the spell slots. He created a custom spell progression where after lvl 2, I will get an additional spell slot every 3 levels. I believe it is as such:

Lvl 1: 1 slot

It may be shifted to every 4 (I would have to look at the sheet he made).

Also, the Hex and Darkness both taking concentration was something I was thinking about. My thought was there may be instances where Darkness may conflict too heavily with my teams line of sight and in those instances I would use hex instead. Also, there could be social implications were I Hex someone's ability score to allow better results (like insight to counter them seeing through my deception checks).

Do you think dropping shield for Hellish rebuke would be a better idea since it scales and gives me another option for my reaction for if and when they may hit me?

Depends on the battles IMO and what if anything you plan to use for your 2nd weapon.

rbstr
2017-12-21, 10:24 AM
Do you get a coupe short rests per day typically? If so that's a really super strong upgrade.
If you look at the spell points optional rules and do the math, Warlocks have roughly equal spellpoints per day to the other full casters when the party takes an average of 2 short rests per day. This change would put you way ahead of that curve.

Anyway, on Hellish Rebuke over Shield, I guess I'd go with rebuke. You have decent AC and Darkness is really your "defense" spell.
But, if you plan on using Hex much then Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image start to look more interesting.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-21, 10:43 AM
Depends on the battles IMO and what if anything you plan to use for your 2nd weapon.

Back up weapon to be used with a shield would be a quarterstaff (to make use of PAM) and Eldritch blast for range.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-21, 10:47 AM
Do you get a coupe short rests per day typically? If so that's a really super strong upgrade.
If you look at the spell points optional rules and do the math, Warlocks have roughly equal spellpoints per day to the other full casters when the party takes an average of 2 short rests per day. This change would put you way ahead of that curve.

I have no clue. I asked him during the session 0 and he said we wouldn't be outright unlikely to get them. Having played as him DM before, I wouldn't count on more than 1 per day though unless I push for it.

Anyway, on Hellish Rebuke over Shield, I guess I'd go with rebuke. You have decent AC and Darkness is really your "defense" spell.
But, if you plan on using Hex much then Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image start to look more interesting.

So starting AC is currently 16/18 (w/ a shield). There are a few issues regarding starting equipment and I may be able to start with half-plate or a cloak of protection depending on how they get sorted.

Dman
2017-12-21, 10:57 AM
Back up weapon to be used with a shield would be a quarterstaff (to make use of PAM) and Eldritch blast for range.

you get 2 weapons though one through pact of the blade and one through Hex warrior. so you could stick with the quarterstaff through Hex and then a Longbow through Pact of the blade and switch out if/when you find a magic weapon

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-21, 11:09 AM
you get 2 weapons though one through pact of the blade and one through Hex warrior. so you could stick with the quarterstaff through Hex and then a Longbow through Pact of the blade and switch out if/when you find a magic weapon

I am using a Glaive as my pact weapon because at lvl 4 (we are currently lvl 3) I plan on taking GWM and hammering things as a melee damage dealer with some control spells as I level up.