PDA

View Full Version : my new character, recommendations please

Camman1984
2017-12-20, 02:59 PM
please give me some feedback for this new character, any recommendations to enhance the theme or pitfalls to avoid. thanks

also he still has no name :)

Race:- mountain dwarf
Background:- clan crafter
Class:- cleric of the forge

DM approved racial adjustments:-

stonecunning become metalcunning (otherwise identical but focus on metalwork instead of stonework)

add proficiency to all hammer (including mauls) but lose racial axe proficiency

level 1 stats

Strength 17
Dexterity 8
Constitution 16
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 15
Charisma 8

starting equipment
Maul + Chain mail, smiths kit

starting cantrips
mending
spare the dying
guidance

level 1 spells
identify, searing strike, cure wounds, healing word, shield of faith

later levels
pick up +1str and wis at level 4
+2 str or elemental adept at level 8

I know elemental adept is sub optimal but I think it suit the character and the characters god to make his flames better. Will see how much flame magic he uses.

after that cap str then wis

brief back story. character grew up in a dwarf city containing a high temple of tharmekhul, at an early age his gift for smithing was spotted and he was adopted into temple. spent the rest of his time learning his trade, studying metalwork (hence the racial adjustment) and studying divinity.

tharmekhul doesn't have many temples if his own but is worshipped by smiths tending their forges, sometimes in temples of moradin. my characters temple is one of a few training temples.

on an initiates 150th birthday a grand celebration is held sparing no expense in the wealthy temple. in this day the character becomes a full fledged cleric is given a hammer, of a size favoured by the cleric himself, as his badge of honour. He is then sent out into the world to speed the great works of tharmekhul. clerics if this temple are not always as divinely powered as other clerics but are strong from their split focus at the forge.

The clerics then travel the world spreading the skills they have learnt. they are encouraged to use their skills to create anvils blessed by tharmekhul across the land. these should be offered without reward or threat, but otherwise the cleric is allowed to charge reasonable reimbursements for his skills.

the cleric is not cast out and can return to the temple whenever he wishes, but his travels are considered a great honour and many do not until they are very old and less able to travel, and many of these set up to spend their final years tending anvils in temples of moradin.

tenets of the faith

Always respect skilled work, be it that of a friend or that of your enemy

Your tools are like a trusted friend, treat them as such and they will return the favour

Like steel, only by being aware of your flaws can your strength be focused

be honest like good iron, so those around you can count on you to support them.

Kane0
2017-12-20, 03:03 PM
Sounds pretty solid, cant see any major flaws that you havent already pointed out yourself.

pdegan2814
2017-12-20, 03:51 PM
Looks like a pretty fun build, the adjustments to your Dwarven racial features seem balanced and in-character. I really like the backstory you created, too.

Nidgit
2017-12-20, 04:13 PM
You'll virtually never be in a building made of metal, which means that change to Stonecunning will be something of a net negative. But hey, that's up to you.

Camman1984
2017-12-20, 04:38 PM
You'll virtually never be in a building made of metal, which means that change to Stonecunning will be something of a net negative. But hey, that's up to you.

it doesn't say anything about buildings, it just says "intelligence check related to the origin of stonework" my metalwork version may well come up less often, but a net negative is easier to get passed by the DM :). it also meets the background really well as he has studied metalwork in depth, and even though he is not an intelligent character (int 10) he has an inflated intelligence check when it comes to things to do with his specific trade.