PDA

View Full Version : Lazy friends and dnd. Help

Pikashell
2017-12-21, 01:25 AM
So my friends want to play dnd 5e but damn they want to play irl. In a treehouse. I made everything from the starter set in roll20. And they said "nah we will buy the real thing. Playing on computer is stupid." Keep in mind we dont live close to each other and cant see each other every week. My question is should i give up or try to some more. I got annoyed of all of this. I may just find another group.

Kane0
2017-12-21, 02:29 AM
Any halfway points you can all meet?
Hobby store, community centre, library, fast food restaurant party room?

Pikashell
2017-12-21, 02:50 AM
Any halfway points you can all meet?
Hobby store, community centre, library, fast food restaurant party room?
Well my house is kind of close but i dont have much place to use. Plus they want to share the price of the game but it costs too much for me in our country. I cant remeber other than this. There is a restraunt but they dont have big tables.

Kane0
2017-12-21, 03:01 AM
You really only need enough space to sit and roll some dice, a full matt and minis and DM screen and whatnot isnt actually necessary if you go with the theatre of the mind approach.

I know plenty of people that play in the loungeroom using the coffee table.

opaopajr
2017-12-21, 06:07 AM
The memories you'll have from playing DnD tangibly -- in a treehouse no less -- will vastly outweigh most of your concerns. As an adult, it'll be a memory hard to duplicate again, if not outright impossible (due to health and size issues,). Enjoy your youth doing things that cannot be so easily done as you get older.

Oh, and you'll look back on that day someone's d20 rolled out of the treehouse... and laugh!

Edit: Basic 5e .pdf is free, and useful in making your own PCs, beyond the Starter Set's pre-generated PCs.

And nothing is stopping you from running another group, either. This group would just be your face-to-face one.

Pelle
2017-12-21, 06:35 AM
I don't see what makes the friends lazy. If the OP don't want to meet his friends to have fun together, yes, find another group.

Knaight
2017-12-21, 06:36 AM
Well my house is kind of close but i dont have much place to use. Plus they want to share the price of the game but it costs too much for me in our country. I cant remeber other than this. There is a restraunt but they dont have big tables.

I'm inferring that your computer access is non-portable (possibly a personal desktop, possibly a library or similar). If I'm wrong about that, then you're already every bit as covered as you'd be with an online game. Otherwise there's work around options. There's a 5e System Resource Document (http://5e.d20srd.org/) which has more system available than just the starter kit. If you've got printer access printing out just what you need is fairly doable, if you don't it's not completely unfeasible to hand-copy what's necessary.

I also don't know how picky about system you are or how much information you have on them. There are non D&D options, and they tend to be cheaper than D&D*, with more than a few that are both free and good (in digital format). If money is your main concern that might well solve that unless you already know about them and want to play D&D specifically.

As for space and scheduling, meeting weekly isn't actually necessary. Monthly games and the like can work just fine, and I can personally verify that weekly games are a luxury that tend not to survive contact with adult life - which clearly doesn't prevent a whole lot of people here from playing them. Space can be tricky, but the suggestion of a treehouse seems to imply two things: reasonably warm weather, and available outdoor space. This opens up options like a card table or even a blanket on the ground in someone's yard. Though if you have a tree house available that's an incredible option worth using to the fullest.

Then there's a general note. The logistics around a game of just getting everyone together tend to be the hardest part. I'm more than willing to make grandiose statements about how logistics are the enemy. It's worth pushing through them, and not just giving up and going digital - particularly as digital logistics have an annoying tendency to somehow be worse even when they seem like they shouldn't be.

*At least the ones that are still in print.