PDA

View Full Version : So Sorcadin... Can you add anything to it to make it better?

sflame56
2017-12-21, 03:26 AM
I was thinking with the sorcadin build (2 lvls paladin 18 sorc) would adding in two fighter lvls with action surge and dueling/great weapon fighter make it better or worse? So it would be 2 paladin 2 fighter 16 sorc. Would adding maybe hex blade warlock mainly just 1 lvl help better? You could dump dex and go all in on con and cha. So it would be 2 paladin 1 Warlock (hexblade) 17 sorc. Any other ideas to add in? Like feats from xanathars or spells?

Arkhios
2017-12-21, 05:05 AM
I'd say for overall performance, since a pal2/sor18 is already limited to 4 ASI instead of 5, you have some breathing room in regards to your highest level spells and/or slots.

Sor17 is enough to get 9th level spells known (and slots), which leaves you free to take 1 level of a third class.

Sor16, together with pal 2, means you still get 9th level spell slots, but you lose the 9th level spells known. However, this leaves you free to grab 2 levels of a third class.

BobZan
2017-12-21, 06:21 AM
When will you get your 2 fighter levels? I don't see when would it be better do get fighter levels over sorcerer. Anytime you decide to go for it seems bad, you'll miss 1 spell tier for the action surge.

If you want more power I'd recommend Paladin 3-6, for Oath, Extra Attack and Aura.

Citan
2017-12-21, 07:43 AM
I was thinking with the sorcadin build (2 lvls paladin 18 sorc) would adding in two fighter lvls with action surge and dueling/great weapon fighter make it better or worse? So it would be 2 paladin 2 fighter 16 sorc. Would adding maybe hex blade warlock mainly just 1 lvl help better? You could dump dex and go all in on con and cha. So it would be 2 paladin 1 Warlock (hexblade) 17 sorc. Any other ideas to add in? Like feats from xanathars or spells?
Hi!
Seriously, mostly any and every combination works well.
The difference is in how they fit your own playstyle.

Take Action Surge for example: on a Sorcadin, you have three main uses for it:
- nova smiting (Extra Attack + Extra Attack + weapon attack).
- setting up oneself (like a Vengeance Paladin, cast Haste, then dash to get into contact, use bonus action Vengeance ability or smite spell, and Action Surge Extra Attack to immediately dish serious hurt on a big dangerous guy).
- making a spellcasting nova through any combination of two full spells (preferably one concentration and one non-concentration: ex: you want to use a save-every-turn debuff such as Hold Person but wants it to last: cast Heightened lvl 5 upcast Heighetened Bestow Curse to impose disadvantage on WIS saves, then cast Hold Person, you probably put your target out of the fight for the whole duration of it).

If you can see yourself using any of those three cases regularly, then lvl 2 dip is definitely a good choice. Otherwise it's a waste of levels.

Considering one more multiclass level as in Hexblade 1 (and possibly even 2 for Agonizing Blast) does change things though: the Hexblade feature combined with the Action Surge would give you an extremely powerful opening ranged nova (although beware of the range needed to activate the feature).

More generally, my view is that if you see your character as a caster with martial goodies, get up to 9th level spells.
If you see it as a Paladin+++ (better spells), you could safely "cap" yourself at 7th level spells (lvl 13 or 14 depending on archetype feature) and enjoy dips instead. ;)