PDA

View Full Version : Making Gnomes more Fey (5th)

bluebox42
2017-12-21, 12:49 PM
I wanted to make a gnome sub-race that had more fey traits. Does anyone know what fey were like in legend? So far I want to make them unable to lie and get the poisoned condition from touching iron, but I need to have some positive traits too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lunaticfringe
2017-12-21, 01:06 PM
Poisoned from Iron? Ouchies, does that transfer to steel? They are more fey in 4e I believe a 5e Forest gnome with Fade Away is basically the 4e version.

You could add racial spells that are thematically Feylike, make them ageless, and baby thieves.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-21, 01:50 PM
Poisoned from Iron? Ouchies, does that transfer to steel?

Eh, poisoned isn't so bad, if you put some limits on it. I could see something like...

Cold Iron. If you touch or are touched by any object made from iron or an iron alloy while in your natural form*, you must make a Charisma saving throw (DC 10) or be poisoned for 1 minute. While you are poisoned, you lose the ability to use your Natural Illusionist** trait. You may attempt a DC 10 Charisma saving throw at the end of each of your turns to remove these effects.

*Maybe cut this bit. This originally came from my faerie race, which had a shape-shifting ability.
**Or whatever supernatural traits you end up giving them.

You could add racial spells that are thematically Feylike, make them ageless, and baby thieves.

More racial spells is definitely an option, as is the Fey Ancestry trait from the elf. The only problem is, the gnome race is already heavily laden thanks to the Gnome Cunning trait. And you can't exactly cut that, because having magic resistance is pretty feylike in itself. So I guess it becomes a balancing act of adding in negative features to make room for more positive ones...

bluebox42
2017-12-21, 05:03 PM
Eh, poisoned isn't so bad, if you put some limits on it. I could see something like...

Cold Iron. If you touch or are touched by any object made from iron or an iron alloy while in your natural form, you must make a Charisma saving throw (DC 10) or be poisoned for 1 minute. While you are poisoned, you lose the ability to use your Natural Illusionist* trait. You may attempt a DC 10 Charisma saving throw at the end of each of your turns to remove these effects.

*Or whatever supernatural traits you end up giving them.

More racial spells is definitely an option, as is the Fey Ancestry trait from the elf. The only problem is, the gnome race is already heavily laden thanks to the Gnome Cunning trait. And you can't exactly cut that, because having magic resistance is pretty feylike in itself. So I guess it becomes a balancing act of adding in negative features to make room for more positive ones...

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't sure exactly how to implement a weakness to iron. I don't know whether to make them susceptible to steel as well.