PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Uses for useless items?

Jolog
2017-12-21, 07:57 PM
I'm adventuring with a party, one that happens to have a lot of relatively useless junk laying around. Think "Piles upon piles of kobold bones", "250 feet of rope", "A rusty Battleaxe", "Literally a whole barrel of soap". The party is currently in an area that's generally devoid of traders or civilization, so we can't sell them, but some of this stuff might have some use. Does anyone have some tips on what some of the more miscellaneous sorts of items can be used for?

Skelechicken
2017-12-21, 08:01 PM
Clean the kobold bones with soap. Take the bones and fashion them into a kobold skeleton. give the kobold skeleton the rusty battleaxe.

Tie the whole thing together with some rope and you have the perfect kobold puppet for entertaining the party and any fey who may wander by.

Alternately, soap makes a decent improvised grease trap or helps lubricate the way to move something huge around more easily. Bones can be decent kobold deterrent if there are still any left trying to give you trouble. Any of these items can be useful to weigh something down if you need to do that, or fill the soap barrel with bones and convince a trader it's something more valuable to make a quick buck if you ever DO see someone again.

Jolog
2017-12-21, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, and I even suppose that the kobold marionette could be used as a scarecrow. Right now we're having some trouble getting basic survival. Our food source is basically just hunting rats and getting our party druid to summon water. We'll probably just have to trick like the one merchant here with your idea. Again, thanks.

The Fury
2017-12-21, 09:10 PM
Soap is definitely useful. Y'know, for washing up. Barring that, if your character is male or otherwise able to grow a beard, you can make shaving foam out of it. You can also mix it with water to blow bubbles... I dunno, maybe you need to entertain kids or something.

Also, yeah. Improvised grease-traps.

RFLS
2017-12-21, 10:29 PM
Rope can be fashioned into a variety of traps given time and a little creative thinking. There are rules for it in most tactically oriented systems I can think of.

Jay R
2017-12-21, 11:00 PM
You're wandering through dirty lands, fighting a lot, and some of you are wearing armor all day.

Use the soap.