PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales I Give One Of My Character Sheets To My DM For NPC

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-21, 09:12 PM
Hey everybody. About not too long ago I was playing a new D&D 3.5 with four players. Our fifth player bail out the game. So I decided to make a new character sheet who happen to be a female cleric of Pelor. So I give it to my DM and he make some changes with my character. He hasn't introduce the female cleric yet but I think the cleric will be great to NPC. Have anyone ever give their character to their DM to NPC before? :smile:

Jay R
2017-12-21, 10:58 PM
Hey everybody. About not too long ago I was playing a new D&D 3.5 with four players. Our fifth player bail out the game. So I decided to make a new character sheet who happen to be a female cleric of Pelor. So I give it to my DM and he make some changes with my character. He hasn't introduce the female cleric yet but I think the cleric will be great to NPC. Have anyone ever give their character to their DM to NPC before? :smile:

I don't give them to other DMs, but my old PCs become NPCs in my worlds.

rs2excelsior
2017-12-22, 12:44 AM
I've done this as a DM. I was running a campaign in the same world as a previous campaign, but they were in a time frame a bit later. Got permission to use one of the PCs from the old party as an NPC for part of the campaign. I'd hoped I could get the player to come and play for that bit, but logistically it didn't work out.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-22, 12:55 AM
I've done this as a DM. I was running a campaign in the same world as a previous campaign, but they were in a time frame a bit later. Got permission to use one of the PCs from the old party as an NPC for part of the campaign. I'd hoped I could get the player to come and play for that bit, but logistically it didn't work out.

Wow that bad huh? I hope My DM won't have the same problems as you did. :eek:

rs2excelsior
2017-12-22, 12:58 AM
Wow that bad huh? I hope My DM won't have the same problems as you did. :eek:

Oh, no, the game worked out fine. Players had a good time and I think I did a fairly good job of playing the character. Just didn't work out to have the original player make a "guest appearance" as it were and play their old character.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-22, 01:01 AM
Oh, no, the game worked out fine. Players had a good time and I think I did a fairly good job of playing the character. Just didn't work out to have the original player make a "guest appearance" as it were and play their old character.

Oh ok. Now I understand. :smile:

Personification
2017-12-22, 02:11 PM
I have been DnD adjacent for a long time, always trying to play but never really getting the chance. Last year, I was in a campaign that fell apart before it really got going, but before it fell apart something kind of like this happened. The game was being played at a Tabletop Gaming Club, and some of the club members who weren't playing this game, as well as the DM, had the previous year played a game that ended when one of the characters, who had been a splinter of a god, had been accidentally allowed to amass enough of the god's original power to rise to godhood at a relatively early level. Anyway, long story short, my character's bird sidekick was another splinter of the god, and the player briefly entered the game to roleplay it being possessed by him and fighting a horse which I believe was possessed by Cthulu, as well as him having a dance-off with a fire archon. It made about as much sense in context.

SirBellias
2017-12-22, 07:53 PM
I've done this twice so far for an upcoming game in our club. Both were viciously overpowered in their own way, so I felt that they'd make much better villains than player characters. The first was readily accepted as a BBEG for the campaign (it was already introduced to the world as a tad insane PC, we were just switching editions) and the other was politely refused and I was told to put it back into the campaign world where it belonged (and I have). Yay for having too many slightly evil character concepts!

Blacky the Blackball
2017-12-27, 10:13 AM
I once played a character in a D&D game who was bloodthirsty and borderline evil, in a party where everyone else was heroic and good. My character was kicked out of the party for his morally dubious actions and I made a new one who was a better fit (with no hard feelings OOC).

A couple of levels later the party encountered a bunch of werewolf cultists, and after killing them and seeing them transform back to their human forms it became apparent that one of them was my old character, who had apparently gone off and joined the cult after being kicked out of the party. This was as much a surprise to me as it was to the other players, since the DM hadn't said anything about doing that.

EccentricCircle
2017-12-27, 04:55 PM
I've got a campaign that's been running on and off for ten years now. At the end of the first campaign one of the PCs became an important revolutionary, and it has sort of become a tradition that one or more PCs from each story arc gets "promoted" and becomes an important NPC as the game goes on. It allows players to bring in fresh characters, while having the old characters become a major part of the setting, even when the players who played them are no longer directly involved.

Sajiri
2017-12-27, 06:40 PM
Ive made characters for spin-off campaigns that are like sidestory to the main one we are doing, and later the character I played joins the cast of the main one as an NPC. I still get to play them from time to time usually for a special circumstance, in which my main character is then an NPC temporarily. I think I have two PCs-turned-NPCs in our main game, with a 3rd I've been asked to think up which will be introduced in the future.

Arbane
2017-12-27, 09:10 PM
I've sort of done the reverse in the game I'm currently in: The character I'm playing started as an NPC idea for another GM's game in the same group.

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-28, 04:07 AM
I've got a campaign that's been running on and off for ten years now. At the end of the first campaign one of the PCs became an important revolutionary, and it has sort of become a tradition that one or more PCs from each story arc gets "promoted" and becomes an important NPC as the game goes on. It allows players to bring in fresh characters, while having the old characters become a major part of the setting, even when the players who played them are no longer directly involved.

That sounds like a cool idea.

I've never done such a thing in my games, due to players not wanting to retire characters. I did once let a character become an NPC because they descended into supervillainy (about two stations earlier than planned), they spent most of their appearances being checked they were still in prison (although they were never good enough to be sent a thank you cookie), only escaping one as the climax to the session and nearly having their plan defeated before it started (that geostationary laser satellite ending up being a popular hacking target).

That was a fun game actually, the character we thought was behind everything was just trying very hard to get people to be unaffected by her mutant power (which made her appear as generic as possible, and so in a bit of social commentary tended to be male).