PDA

View Full Version : Channel Divinities

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-22, 02:27 AM
Hey Fellas :)

Since some time now, these has been a lot of discussion about the interaction of spells with eg an antimagic field. What was more interesting for me for some time already was the interaction of Channel Divinities.

As far as I understand, CDs are by their nature supernatural, but they are no spells. They just imitate the effect or behavior of them. But what if it comes to situations, in which it is not so clear how to handle the effect?

For example, how do you treat a sacred weapon from a devotion pally if it comes into an antimagic field? The magic weapon could be argued to become dispelled because of it „magic“ property. On the other hand, this property was not created by classic magic in the first place.

Or how about a CD with a spell save DC. Does a creature get advantage on it, if it has magic resistance property?

Could a CD be activated at all in an antimagic field?

I did not find satisfying answers or Sage Advices to it, so maybe you could give me your two cents of it :)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-22, 02:46 AM
Shooting from the hip: divine magic is still magic. None of it works in an AMF.

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-22, 03:15 AM
Well if we assume it is magic/spell just with a different mechanical background, can I apply all boni I could apply to a normal spell?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-22, 03:30 AM
'Magical effect' and 'spell' are clearly not the same thing. Both are affected by Magic Resistance and AMF, but you can't apply bonuses for one onto the other.

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-22, 03:46 AM
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/12/does-dispel-magic-auto-work-vs-channel-divinity-powers/

Well in this sage advice Crawford is pretty clear towards a CD is not a spell. But CDs just „mirror“ magical effects. I did not find one effect that explicitly states it being magical. And as Ki from monks is doing quite the same (mirroring magic abilities without being magical by themselves thus still working in AMF) I would argue a CD is doing the same.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-22, 04:17 AM
I would argue a CD is doing the same.

If that works for you, fine.

Up top you asked for opinions though, and mine remains that CD is magic and doesn't work in an AMF. Maybe I'm in the minority; we won't know until someone else joins in.

To be honest I'm on the fence about ki powers as well (sage advice means nothing to me, maverick that I am). I'd probably put that to a vote at my table, if anyone was playing a monk.

MrStabby
2017-12-22, 07:10 AM
I would allow neither CD nor Ki to work. I would also disallow use of abilities like the warlock eyes of the rune keeper and druid wildshape.

Bard inspiration I would probably allow.

Oerlaf
2017-12-22, 07:31 AM
Since they aren't explicitly stated as magical, they aren't and therefore work normally in AMF.

The magic weapon created by CD loses its magic nonetheless.

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-22, 07:50 AM
Since they aren't explicitly stated as magical, they aren't and therefore work normally in AMF.

The magic weapon created by CD loses its magic nonetheless.

Would you also allow to use the specral vines from the Ancients pally in a AMF?

Zalabim
2017-12-22, 08:45 AM
Channel Divinity might be one of those "magic abilities created by deities" that antimagic field can't block. It is in the name, after all.

Oerlaf
2017-12-22, 12:26 PM
Would you also allow to use the specral vines from the Ancients pally in a AMF?

Yes, I would. They aren't very efficient though, because the target can choose the better save.

KorvinStarmast
2017-12-22, 01:09 PM
Channel Divinity might be one of those "magic abilities created by deities" that antimagic field can't block. It is in the name, after all. This, but I'll suggest that it mostly applies to the Divine Intervention cleric ability. Allow me to quote two salient points that support this position.

Divine Intervention (SRD V5.1)

Beginning at 10th level, you can call on your deity to intervene on your behalf when your need is great. Imploring your deity’s aid requires you to use your action. Describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than your cleric level, your deity intervenes. The GM chooses the nature of the intervention; the effect of any cleric spell or cleric domain spell would be appropriate. {snip} At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.
From Antimagic Field (SRD V 5.1)

Spells and other magical effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the sphere and can’t protrude into it.
In the case of Divine Intervention, the magical effect is indeed created by the deity providing that the cleric is serving a deity, and asking for divine intervention from a deity. Those clerics who do not serve a deity would not be able to get around the AMF using this class ability, unless the DM rules that the philosophy/cause is equivalent (or close enough to) being a deity in nature. (Which IMO would be a fair ruling).

MrStabby
2017-12-22, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I would allow DI on that basis. It is pretty crappy to need to roll high, to use up your action, to use that resource and have nothing happen.

Callin
2017-12-22, 04:53 PM
Is it a spell from a Classes Spell List? Is it a Magically imbued Weapon? Is it a Magical Effect from a Magic Weapon? If the answer is no then I would allow it to work inside of an Anti Magic Field. Same goes for Wizard Subclass stuff unless it is EXPLICITLY called out as being Magical as in the lvl 2 Conjurer Ability.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-22, 06:01 PM
IMO if it’s not something that could been done in real life (or a minor extension thereof) than its magic.

So for monk abilities, things like stunning strike are totally fine in AMF, but when you start shooting fire out of your hands, that’s magic. That’s just how I would rule it.

Causing your sword to glow or roots to come out of the ground, etc... what the heck is that if not magic? What about lay on hands?