PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Setting Help - Post-apocalypse Magic School (New to 5e)

Falcos
2017-12-22, 06:33 AM
Hi all.

Any of my regular players, please avert your eyes if you happen across this thread.

So. I had a magic school setting in 3.5e, my usual edition. However, a combination of my growing boredom with 3.5 and one of my players causing an apocalypse in my setting have caused me to think.

So I'm using said apocalypse and death of god of magic as an excuse to move the setting to 5e, after said apocalypse.

I'm making the transition for most things fairly smoothly, with the demon who was freed in said apocalypse doing nicely as a means to clean up many loose ends, but there is one persistent problem I'm coming across.

The old school had six Masters, people who were in charge and who had roles in the old academy. It's worth noting here that it also doubled as a magical center of knowledge for the whole country, and something approximating a government, despite not officially being in charge.

I'm trying to pick out 5e classes who can take over these roles in the ruins of the academy.

The old set were:

A Truenamer, who was the librarian. (It's about all Truenamers were good for, as far as I understand it.)

An Abjurant Champion, who was the martial teacher, for those magic-users who liked to get a little more physical. His actual role in the running of the academy was to be the one who held the line in the event of a major siege while the more artillery-minded casters laid down fiery death.

A Stormsinger, who managed the weather for the whole country.

An Artificer, who made the magic items needed for the academy to run.

A Wu Jen, who was the headmaster and one ultimately in charge and calling the shots.

And a Shadowcaster, who was the black-ops-person.

I need to fill as many of these roles as possible, with the possible addition of a divination expert to help make things possible.

Please advise? I'm happy to answer any questions if I've missed any pertinent information.

(Please forgive my noobness, this will be my first foray into 5e)

Droodicus
2017-12-22, 06:52 AM
Librarian could be a diviner. Somebody always having the book you want ready to go would be handy.

Champion could be an eldritch knight or war mage.

stormsinger, tempest cleric or storm sorcerer. Druids also get lots of weather skills.

Overall in charge I'd make a lore bard.

making things is pretty much forge clerics thing.

Shadow monk warlock would be a good black ops or arcane trickster.